Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which dress? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which dress do you like the most?
    70.73%
    8.54%
    3.66%
    10.98%
    6.10%

ReputationRep:
    So I'm looking for a dress for my pageant in February and I'd like to know TSR's opinions. I've finally found a few that I really like in my price range (under £120). Bear in mind that these dresses can be in the colour of my choosing rather than that shown in the picture, so let me know what you think of the design of my dress! And any colour suggestions (apart from navy blue because my other dress I'll be wearing is that colour). I'm olive skinned with dark brown hair and eyes.

Thank you!!

Dress 1

Dress 2

Dress 3

Dress 4

Dress 5

Edit: Also, does anyone know if this site is legit?

ReputationRep:
    dress 1 and 4 seem the most classy. What colours were you thinking of?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I like 2 and 4.

ReputationRep:
    I like 1 and 2 best, but really it depends on what you look like (skin tone, hair and eyes type stuff).

ReputationRep:
    First one is gorgeous! Second choice would be number 2

ReputationRep:
    1 or maybe 5 if it was in a toned down colour. 1 is definately the classiest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectronicPanda)
    Yeah, I agree. They were stunning.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to choose one, it would be number 4 because I like that the best and it would contrast against my skin but if you were perhaps a little tanned then one of the other dresses could look nicer :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectronicPanda)
    Maybe coral?

But I've done some research and this site seems a bit dodgy, everything comes from China. There's a quite a few bad reviews on the internet.

I'm probably better off just buying a dress from a top rated Chinese seller on eBay tbh. And most of the dresses on eBay are similar, only I can't choose the colour of each dress like I can with these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    So I'm looking for a dress for my pageant in February and I'd like to know TSR's opinions. I've finally found a few that I really like in my price range (under £120). Bear in mind that these dresses can be in the colour of my choosing rather than that shown in the picture, so let me know what you think of the design of my dress! And any colour suggestions (apart from navy blue because my other dress I'll be wearing is that colour). I'm olive skinned with dark brown hair and eyes.

Thank you!!

Dress 1

Dress 2

Dress 3

Dress 4

Dress 5

Edit: Also, does anyone know if this site is legit?
    Dress 4 is the best followed by Dress 1.
    Dress 3 is passable but the rest are not in the same league as these three. However, Dress 4 is significantly better than Dress 1 though.

A ranking would look something like this:

Dress 4

(Big Gap)

Dress 1
    Dress 3

(Big Gap)

Dress 2
    Dress 5

ReputationRep:
    Sounds VERY fishy. No contact info except for a form. Look at the FAQ

''Our Guiding Principle
    We warmly welcome your patronizing and inquiring at home and abroad. We will provide the best quality products, the most preferential price and the most satisfied service!''

What an earth does that mean??!

ETA: http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.dresssale.co.uk

Bad site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Sounds VERY fishy. No contact info except for a form. Look at the FAQ

''Our Guiding Principle
    We warmly welcome your patronizing and inquiring at home and abroad. We will provide the best quality products, the most preferential price and the most satisfied service!''

What an earth does that mean??!
    Haha yeah exactly. I did some googling and there are lots of bad reviews. The prices did seem too good to be true sadly. Especially for custom made dresses.

On eBay there are similar dresses (smaller selection) from quite a few of Chinese sellers but these have loads of positive reviews from their buyers. And the prices are £50-100. Do you think I'd be better off buying from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Haha yeah exactly. I did some googling and there are lots of bad reviews. The prices did seem too good to be true sadly. Especially for custom made dresses.

On eBay there are similar dresses (smaller selection) from quite a few of Chinese sellers but these have loads of positive reviews from their buyers. And the prices are £50-100. Do you think I'd be better off buying from them?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go for number 1 because the others look really big and hard to move around in... based purely on what looks the best whilst standing up like in the pictures I'd say 1 and 4 are the nicest.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously as we had a natter about the site isn't the safest bet. But in terms of which dress, i'd say ones like 1 or 2...I wouldn't go for anything bigger as they restrict your movement even more than a mermaid gown, and the judges will find it harder to judge how well you walk.

If you look at the top 5 girls from last year they all had sleek dresses. Don't have to be skimpy in fact I think floaty chiffon empire lines work better, but the only places you ever see big meringue style dresses (and trust me 4 is HUGE in real life) is Nuestra Belleza Mexico and Miss Venezuela (even then, this year's Miss Venezuela for MU and MW both wore sleek dresses)

EDIT: And as for the chinese dresses, I bought one a while ago and sent it back, was flipping awful.

ReputationRep:
    2, 1, 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Obviously as we had a natter about the site isn't the safest bet. But in terms of which dress, i'd say ones like 1 or 2...I wouldn't go for anything bigger as they restrict your movement even more than a mermaid gown, and the judges will find it harder to judge how well you walk.

If you look at the top 5 girls from last year they all had sleek dresses. Don't have to be skimpy in fact I think floaty chiffon empire lines work better, but the only places you ever see big meringue style dresses (and trust me 4 is HUGE in real life) is Nuestra Belleza Mexico and Miss Venezuela (even then, this year's Miss Venezuela for MU and MW both wore sleek dresses)

EDIT: And as for the chinese dresses, I bought one a while ago and sent it back, was flipping awful.
    Hm but what about the Chinese dresses with good reviews?

And thanks for the advice, I'll definitely go for a sleeker dress. Even though I really want a massive big poofy one hahaa. I'll try that site you recommended for me

ReputationRep:
    1 & 4 look the most sophisticated

ReputationRep:
    3 or 4.

the last one looks funny. like a little princess on her 5 th birthday.... do not buy it. the colour looks like a bon bon.

ReputationRep:
    Go to monsoon

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.