Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

He won't stop texting me... Watch

I've recently broken up from a long term relationship, and ever since this happened a friend off my course keeps texting me. I thought it was just friendly, like trying to be comofrting to me after the break up, but it's getting so annoying now. I will be getting texts from him just about anything really, sort of 'how are you, how's your day been?' sort of thing, and if I don't reply, it's another text saying something similar, and then texts saying will I go online. He's a nice guy and I text back for a few days out of politeness, but now it's getting on my nerves, if I don't reply, which I haven't, he texts constantly, clogging up my inbox and it's so clingey. I feel really suffocated by it, but how can I politely say I'm not interested in him/stop texting me so often?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've recently broken up from a long term relationship, and ever since this happened a friend off my course keeps texting me. I thought it was just friendly, like trying to be comofrting to me after the break up, but it's getting so annoying now. I will be getting texts from him just about anything really, sort of 'how are you, how's your day been?' sort of thing, and if I don't reply, it's another text saying something similar, and then texts saying will I go online. He's a nice guy and I text back for a few days out of politeness, but now it's getting on my nerves, if I don't reply, which I haven't, he texts constantly, clogging up my inbox and it's so clingey. I feel really suffocated by it, but how can I politely say I'm not interested in him/stop texting me so often?!

"I don't mean to be rude but could you tone down the texting please, it's annoying and getting a bit creepy. Ty lyl xoxoxoxox"

(Original post by jaheen22)
    "I don't mean to be rude but could you tone down the texting please, it's annoying and getting a bit creepy. Ty lyl xoxoxoxox"
    That's what I want to say, but I don't want to be too harsh on him!

ReputationRep:
    He is obviously trying to make a move as you are now single. You need to make it known to him that you are not interested, as sometimes replying to his texts, even out of politeness, will only encourage him...
    • TSR Support Team

Tell him you need space

ReputationRep:
    Hey *name*. listen can u not text me so much, your clogging up my inbox. Thanks xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    then stop complaining about him texting you, unless you say something hows he supposed to know hes smothering you?

ReputationRep:
    You could be harsher than that, trust me. There's not really a nice way to say it to him, so if you want him to stop you'll have to be quite up front about the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    Pretend your phone is broken.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he likes you and is trying to close in now that you're single.

Just nicely tell him you need your space but it's nothing personal, that way you don't get annoying texts and he won't be overly offended either.

ReputationRep:
    'Thanks for all the support you've given me over the past few days, I'm feeling much better now and have met someone new!'

ReputationRep:
    Text him this:

You're such a great FRIEND. It's to nice have a guy FRIEND I can talk to about stuff. Btw FRIEND there's this guy I really like but I can't tell if he likes me, you think I should make a move on him?... FRIEND.

Seriously it's either that or tell him you're a hermaphodite.

ReputationRep:
    hey, my bf is not happy with the amount of texts im getting so would you mind texting a bit less frequently?

i don't know how you can stop it without being harsh?

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him in person don't text him he'll get peeved with you then he again he'll never text you again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiaha)
    Hey *name*. listen can u not text me so much, your clogging up my inbox. Thanks xxxxxxxx
    No, no,no,no,no!youwill hurt his feelings!
    Meet up with him in person.Do the whole it's not you it's me thing.Then say,I know you care but I'm not ready for the whole texting thing,I just want to be friends*smiles*. It is really important how you break it down to him gently; like you would talk to siblings,infact treat him like your brother/cousin.Then he will deffo get the message.

ReputationRep:
    Change your number or block him?

Tell him you find it a bit odd that he's constantly texting

(Original post by urmyeah)
    No, no,no,no,no!youwill hurt his feelings!
    Meet up with him in person.Do the whole it's not you it's me thing.Then say,I know you care but I'm not ready for the whole texting thing,I just want to be friends*smiles*. It is really important how you break it down to him gently; like you would talk to siblings,infact treat him like your brother/cousin.Then he will deffo get the message.
    Thing is, I'm not back at uni for another 2 and a half weeks, so I've got no choice but to sort it out over text as much as it should be done face to face really!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just tell him he's coming across as a bit clingy by texting you all the time. That's not being mean...

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I'm not back at uni for another 2 and a half weeks, so I've got no choice but to sort it out over text as much as it should be done face to face really!
    Well tell him in advance that you want to meet up with him because if you do it by text it could make things extremely awarkward.So tbh I would really wait it out thats if you still want himaas a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Change your sim.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.