Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My wireless internet wont work now for some reason it keeps saying limited access......what do i dooooooooo?! please help!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Turn the router/modem off then back on again?

ReputationRep:
    Click repair (right-click on the icon and click repair).

If that doesn't work, unplug the router/modem from the mains electricity for 5 seconds or so, plug it back it in and let it load.

ReputationRep:
    Without more information, it's difficult to understand what may have happened and give you proper advice.

Can you please post which operating system are you using (Vista, I suppose?) and what router (make and model) do you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dshadow)
    Without more information, it's difficult to understand what may have happened and give you proper advice.

Can you please post which operating system are you using (Vista, I suppose?) and what router (make and model) do you use?
    im using windows 7....i am using the inventel router with orange broadband...

ReputationRep:
    This sometimes happens with my Toshiba too. I usually just restart my laptop and it works fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    This sometimes happens with my Toshiba too. I usually just restart my laptop and it works fine
    Me too. fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibbi786)
    im using windows 7....i am using the inventel router with orange broadband...
    Assuming that 7 is completely updated and patched, and that you have no substantial obstacles between you and your router that may disrupt the signal (for example large metallic surfaces in the vicinity) you can try changing the channel on which the router transmits the signal.

The most used channels are usually 1, 3, and 11 because those are guaranteed to have low interference, but this is indeed the reason why most people use them, including one or more of your neighbours, probably. So you may want to switch to channel 2, 6 on the router (the laptop will pick it up anyway, maybe asking you to re-enter the password, or maybe not) for example, just to see whether it's a matter of external interference.

Another thing you may want to do, in the wireless card preferences, is to change the following options: roaming aggressiveness (level 4 or 5); throughput enhancement (enabled) and transmit power (level 4 or 5). Also, make sure to uncheck the "allow computer to turn off the device to save power" option.

Let us know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming that 7 is completely updated and patched, and that you have no substantial obstacles between you and your router that may disrupt the signal (for example large metallic surfaces in the vicinity) you can try changing the channel on which the router transmits the signal.

The most used channels are usually 1, 3, and 11 because those are guaranteed to have low interference, but this is indeed the reason why most people use them, including one or more of your neighbours, probably. So you may want to switch to channel 2, 6 on the router (the laptop will pick it up anyway, maybe asking you to re-enter the password, or maybe not) for example, just to see whether it's a matter of external interference.

Another thing you may want to do, in the wireless card preferences, is to change the following options: roaming aggressiveness (level 4 or 5); throughput enhancement (enabled) and transmit power (level 4 or 5). Also, make sure to uncheck the "allow computer to turn off the device to save power" option.

Let us know how it goes.
    i would change the channel but i cant access it because I usually have to type in my I.P address in the address bar....as my internet isn't working I'm unable to carry out this task...

ReputationRep:
    i would change the channel but i cant access it because I usually have to type in my I.P address in the address bar....as my internet isn't working I'm unable to carry out this task...
    You can create a direct connection between your computer and the router, by connecting it through an ethernet cable (usually the plug is large and flat). I am fairly sure that both your computer and your router have such a port. After doing that, you can open your browser (if IE does not work, use firefox) and enter the router IP address. This way should work.

ReputationRep:
    You can create a direct connection between your computer and the router, by connecting it through an ethernet cable (usually the plug is large and flat). I am fairly sure that both your computer and your router have such a port. After doing that, you can open your browser (if IE does not work, use firefox) and enter the router IP address. This way should work.
    i tried connecting in that but it still wont work.

ReputationRep:
    i tried connecting in that but it still wont work.
    Not being there, I can only guess what could have possibly go wrong.

Sometimes it's a browser failure, more often than not, actually, so changing browser should solve the problem.

In more serious cases, it might be the router and/or your wireless/ethernet cards that have broken down for some reason. In this case you may double check by connecting another laptop via wilreless and see if it works. If it does, then the router is OK and the problem may lie in your wireless card/settings.

However, as your ethernet connection seems not to work either, and not deeming probable a contemporary failure of both the LAN and wireless card, I guess it may be a problem with your operating system, that probably has lost some driver along the way.

Use another computer to connect both wireless and via ethernet to your router and post the results.

ReputationRep:
    Not being there, I can only guess what could have possibly go wrong.

Sometimes it's a browser failure, more often than not, actually, so changing browser should solve the problem.

In more serious cases, it might be the router and/or your wireless/ethernet cards that have broken down for some reason. In this case you may double check by connecting another laptop via wilreless and see if it works. If it does, then the router is OK and the problem may lie in your wireless card/settings.

However, as your ethernet connection seems not to work either, and not deeming probable a contemporary failure of both the LAN and wireless card, I guess it may be a problem with your operating system, that probably has lost some driver along the way.

Use another computer to connect both wireless and via ethernet to your router and post the results.
    yes other laptops and PC are working with the router....i feel the laptop may have lost drivers.....

ReputationRep:
    yes other laptops and PC are working with the router....i feel the laptop may have lost drivers.....
    Seems the most probable cause. A reinstallation with re-update might be necessary.

Back up all the important data before starting the reinstallation.

ReputationRep:
    Seems the most probable cause. A reinstallation with re-update might be necessary.

Back up all the important data before starting the reinstallation.
    what do i have to re-install?

ReputationRep:
    what do i have to re-install?
    Win 7.

ReputationRep:
    Win 7.
    isit possible to boot from a USB becuase my laptop doesnt have a CD drive...?

ReputationRep:
    isit possible to boot from a USB becuase my laptop doesnt have a CD drive...?
    Yes but you will need another computer with dvd drive to prepare your usb.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../dd535816.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710663

ReputationRep:
    Yes but you will need another computer with dvd drive to prepare your usb.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../dd535816.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/Video/ff710663
    i used the toshiba HDD ecovery tool and now my laptop just keeps turning off and restarting and says preparing laptop for first use!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i used the toshiba HDD ecovery tool and now my laptop just keeps turning off and restarting and says preparing laptop for first use!!!!
    Probably there is a problem with the lnstallation used by the hdd recovery tool. I believe you need a clean install from a dvd image adapted for your usb as per the instructions provided by microsoft and posted earlier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.