Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people throughout TSR's phone threads seem to think that BBM is free. Here is why it isn't.

1. Blackberry charges
    Whether or not these are taken into account in your contract automatically, you are paying £5/month for so called "blackberry charges".

2. It uses data
    Yes, BBM uses your internet connection - there is no fairy that jumps between BB phones carrying messages and flashing lights. That means that if you're a UK user that goes to Japan, you're going to be paying approximately £7.50/MB. Most definitely not free abroad as some are saying.

thanks to Markuk99:
    3.None give you free internet as you pay for the free internet within your monthly tarrif.

the point with blackberry is that you also pay for BBM secure services as well, for everything to go through its servers. Having to pay for this within your monthly tarrif means you pay a similar monthly price to the best smartphones out, yet yuu are given a blackberry phone, which hardware-wise is no different to a cheap 3 years old pay as you go phone worth 40 quid new.

to give an example... a galaxy s costs around 250 quid in parts and components. A blackberry bold costs about 20 pounds. Yet both phones cost the same on tarrif, despite the galaxy s being massively superior in every single aspect, and also having equivalent BBM services using Whatsapp, which is also cross platform and free unlie BBM! So why does the backberry bold cost the same on tarrif as the galaxy s? Because you are paying for BBM services - EVEN THO the equivalent services are free on all other smartphones lol.

If anyone would like to add to this, then I'll edit things in.

ReputationRep:
    It's being called "free" because it comes as standard with almost all contract plans; and is unlimited.

ReputationRep:
    so, the blackberry fairy doesn't exist?!

ReputationRep:
    No I doubt it's free

ReputationRep:
    Well I only pay £5 a month for my BB contract, so it seems pretty free to me haha.

ReputationRep:
    It’s practically free if you’re on contract. It uses VERY little data. If you’re paying say, £30 a month on contract, you’ll still get the same minutes, data and texts for the same price as any other phone.

On PAYG it’s a little different, but most providers give you internet access as well as your BB services, so it’s KIND OF free.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they paid you to use it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, Android is still better :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my good lord, thank you for informing me. Androids are the best. I hate both Apple and Blackberry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    so, the blackberry fairy doesn't exist?!
    NOOOOOOO!

This is worse than when I lost my virginity. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Instant messaging barely uses kilobytes to function, let alone MB/GB that contracts operate with. Stop scaremongering, its as good as free.

ReputationRep:
    You sir, are a fail. :mad:

Learn something about data usage and BB before you start trying to scare people! Fool!

ReputationRep:
    Yes its included in most contracts on Blackberry, BUT you are still paying for it, because you are paying lets say £30/month tarrif, for a phone that is identical to a cheap nasty pay as you go phone from 3 years ago that you can buy offline on payasyougo for £30 quid !

Blackberry phones are so dated with such poor specs compared to modern smart phones, YET you still pay a huge premium simply for its blackberry services, which ironically are all FREE with other proper smartphones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    Well I only pay £5 a month for my BB contract, so it seems pretty free to me haha.
    What plan are you on?!

(Original post by markuk99)
      Yes its included in most contracts on Blackberry, BUT you are still paying for it, because you are paying lets say £30/month tarrif, for a phone that is identical to a cheap nasty pay as you go phone from 3 years ago that you can buy offline on payasyougo for £30 quid !

Blackberry phones are so dated with such poor specs compared to modern smart phones, YET you still pay a huge premium simply for its blackberry services, which ironically are all FREE with other proper smartphones.
      Which smartphone gives you free internet? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      bbm sucks i cannot wait to move to the iphone

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
      2. It uses data
      Yes, BBM uses your internet connection - there is no fairy that jumps between BB phones carrying messages and flashing lights. That means that if you're a UK user that goes to Japan, you're going to be paying approximately £7.50/MB. Most definitely not free abroad as some are saying.
      You're great at stating the obvious but didn't it occur to you, that for example an international student comes to the UK for 3 years, and takes out a contact phone within the UK, and all his relatives and friends have BBs in X country (He could bring his own BB and use a BB sim on contract/payg etc too). Anyway therefore BBM is cost effective than texting! BBM uses data but thats great when its local data your using since it doesn't incur the costs of international texting...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by teshnit)
      You're great at stating the obvious but didn't it occur to you, that for example an international student comes to the UK for 3 years, and takes out a contact phone within the UK, and all his relatives and friends have BBs in X country (He could bring his own BB and use a BB sim on contract/payg etc too). Anyway therefore BBM is cost effective than texting! BBM uses data but thats great when its local data your using since it doesn't incur the costs of international texting...
      Let's be honest, if we're going to talk about uses of BBM, we might as well remind people that they can install IM applications which don't require a BB contract and will use the same amount of bandwidth. These of course can be used not only to communicate with people in other countries, but also with other people without BlackBerrys or even mobile phones.

All of this is irrelevant though, because the OP's point is that to use BBM, you'll need to be paying "BlackBerry charges", which (amongst other things) will include the use of BBM.
      • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
      £5 isn't exactly much. I'm not going to miss £1.25 a week...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FXX)
      Which smartphone gives you free internet? :rolleyes:
      None give you free internet as you pay for the free internet within your monthly tarrif.

the point with blackberry is that you also pay for BBM secure services as well, for everything to go through its servers. Having to pay for this within your monthly tarrif means you pay a similar monthly price to the best smartphones out, yet yuu are given a blackberry phone, which hardware-wise is no different to a cheap 3 years old pay as you go phone worth 40 quid new.

to give an example... a galaxy s costs around 250 quid in parts and components. A blackberry bold costs about 20 pounds. Yet both phones cost the same on tarrif, despite the galaxy s being massively superior in every single aspect, and also having equivalent BBM services using Whatsapp, which is also cross platform and free unlie BBM! So why does the backberry bold cost the same on tarrif as the galaxy s? Because you are paying for BBM services - EVEN THO the equivalent services are free on all other smartphones lol

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.