Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't care which has the most speakers, I'm not learning it for any practical reason, just for my own amusement

So I'd be interested in aesthetic preferences that people have, whether for the sound of the language, or any cool features

If anyone's had a go at both, which did you find easier?

ReputationRep:
    I personally am not crazy about the sound and cadence of both, tbh. Especially if you learn Mandarin from China, because Beijing arguably has the worst accent out there.

Anyway, I digress. I'd personally choose Mandarin if I were you. Mandarin speakers in Singapore and Malaysia undoubtedly have the clearest accents, and it's easy to pick up on what they're trying to say. IMO though, the monosyllabic words of both languages make both languages sound rather choppy, and Cantonese sounds rougher than Mandarin. If you like the sound of either one, go ahead and learn Cantonese or Mandarin, it's rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieuk)
    I don't care which has the most speakers, I'm not learning it for any practical reason, just for my own amusement

So I'd be interested in aesthetic preferences that people have, whether for the sound of the language, or any cool features

If anyone's had a go at both, which did you find easier?
    By experience, I can tell you that Mandarin Chinese is easier to learn. It has fewer "tones" (just 4 as opposed to 9 of Cantonese) and it uses the so-called "simplified" characters (except in Taiwan) that are easier to draw, in that usually they contain fewer strokes.

In terms of pure aesthetics, I like how Cantonese sounds, especially that kind of "dragging" that people do at the end of sentences that makes it sound like music.

However, unless you find somebody from Hong Kong or Macau or Guangdong province (Guangzhou/Shenzhen) who can teach you Cantonese, it is more likely for you to meet people who can speak Mandarin.

The most logical choice would be Mandarin, because pros outnumber cons. However my advice is that you have a taste of the both, since you want to learn the language for no other purpose than your personal interest, and see which one you like better, then decide.

Best luck!

ReputationRep:
    Cantonese sounds so much nicer in my opinion. My gf speaks cantonese, she says its much easyer to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    I personally am not crazy about the sound and cadence of both, tbh. Especially if you learn Mandarin from China, because Beijing arguably has the worst accent out there.

Anyway, I digress. I'd personally choose Mandarin if I were you. Mandarin speakers in Singapore and Malaysia undoubtedly have the clearest accents, and it's easy to pick up on what they're trying to say. IMO though, the monosyllabic words of both languages make both languages sound rather choppy, and Cantonese sounds rougher than Mandarin. If you like the sound of either one, go ahead and learn Cantonese or Mandarin, it's rewarding.
    Ooh, I actually love the Beijing accent.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking with a Beijing accent makes you sound like a pirate though. Learn Mandarin! Im learning it at uni at the moment and its good fun. Plus about 800 million people speak it, and its the main language in China. I know you say that you are not learning it for any reason, but it could be very beneficial for you to be able to speak Mandarin when you're older!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragnar_jonsson)
    Ooh, I actually love the Beijing accent.
    Haha, our opinions differ then! I heard someone speaking the other day, and when they were saying 'er', it sounded like 'ARRGH'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asparkyn)
    Haha, our opinions differ then! I heard someone speaking the other day, and when they were saying 'er', it sounded like 'ARRGH'!
    Mhm, it has the additional 'r' added to loads of things, such as wanr (to play), liaotianr (to chat), yibianr (simultaneously). So you would say, war, liaotiar, and yibiar.

ReputationRep:
    Cantonese!

But I am totally biased since I'm Chinese and speak Cantonese. My parents tried to make me learn Mandarin once and I absolutely hated it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.