Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was the driving test better before it was changed in 2010 or is it better now.? The new test only requires the person to carry out 1 manoeuvre but requires the person to carry out a 10minute independent driving section. Southport driving test centre changed my test date from December 8th to January 17th as the roads were to icy.

ReputationRep:
    its harder!!!!! Independant driving is a life skill, but not so easy under pressure, and easy to make sill mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    its harder!!!!! Independant driving is a life skill, but not so easy under pressure, and easy to make sill mistakes.
    Okay so if the examiner says take a left turn and you think going left look's to complicated, can you turn right and tell the examiner that you misheard him. If so will that be counted as a minor. Because as I'm aware taking a wrong turn is not classed as a minor because your not judged on knowing directions. is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markberry91)
    Okay so if the examiner says take a left turn and you think going left look's to complicated, can you turn right and tell the examiner that you misheard him. If so will that be counted as a minor. Because as I'm aware taking a wrong turn is not classed as a minor because your not judged on knowing directions. is this correct?
    That's certainly what my instructor told me. As long as you do the correct procedures, you won't be faulted for a navigational error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandys1000)
    That's certainly what my instructor told me. As long as you do the correct procedures, you won't be faulted for a navigational error.
    My test was supposed to be 3weeks ago but due to the snow was cancelled and rescheduled to 17th January 2011. I cant wait to pass my test. freedom for the summer with tunes playing, me and my Brother on the road together, him in his car me in mine

ReputationRep:
    My test was supposed to be 3weeks ago but due to the snow was cancelled and rescheduled to 17th January 2011. I cant wait to pass my test. freedom for the summer with tunes playing, me and my Brother on the road together, him in his car me in mine
    Yeah I know. I can't book a test because the centre's closed It would be great to have a car, but I probably won't get one when I pass my test - it's just too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know. I can't book a test because the centre's closed It would be great to have a car, but I probably won't get one when I pass my test - it's just too expensive.
    I know I'm going to try to keep a good record to keep my insurance premiums on a low. I don't want to spend more than £140 per month on getting insured to be honest. If it comes to it I'll just pass my test and get a car further in the future. I'm not overly fussed. It will just be nice to get something soon you know?

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm going to try to keep a good record to keep my insurance premiums on a low. I don't want to spend more than £140 per month on getting insured to be honest. If it comes to it I'll just pass my test and get a car further in the future. I'm not overly fussed. It will just be nice to get something soon you know?
    Oh completely. The freedom :moon: I also worry that if I leave it for years I'll get out of habit. But insurance + tax + petrol + servicing; it all adds up to a lot

ReputationRep:
    Oh completely. The freedom :moon: I also worry that if I leave it for years I'll get out of habit. But insurance + tax + petrol + servicing; it all adds up to a lot
    Yeah I suppose.Not to mention car park charges. MOT costs and £50 per week on petrol. For a lot of people that money could be spent on something more worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's a shame

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose.Not to mention car park charges. MOT costs and £50 per week on petrol. For a lot of people that money could be spent on something more worthwhile.
    I've been driving for 2 years, only spend a tenner on pertrol a week though - although i'm getting less for my money by the day as prices soar. Point being - most people don't spend anywhere near that much on petrol. There are the ocassional weeks where I use 15 quid, and there was this one week where I had to fill £45 because of several aiport trips, but on the whole 10 is enough.

If you are going to be spending £50, then that means you travel alot, so you're probably going to be saving on taxi/bus costs which you would have had to be using previously.

All that said, the current petrol prices..do NOT allow for random cruising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    I've been driving for 2 years, only spend a tenner on pertrol a week though - although i'm getting less for my money by the day as prices soar. Point being - most people don't spend anywhere near that much on petrol. There are the ocassional weeks where I use 15 quid, and there was this one week where I had to fill £45 because of several aiport trips, but on the whole 10 is enough.

If you are going to be spending £50, then that means you travel alot, so you're probably going to be saving on taxi/bus costs which you would have had to be using previously.

All that said, the current petrol prices..do NOT allow for random cruising
    I do travel a lot. Also when I pass my test I want to get into work as a driver. (driver job)

ReputationRep:
    Okay so if the examiner says take a left turn and you think going left look's to complicated, can you turn right and tell the examiner that you misheard him.
    You'd be screwed if the right turn happens to be a no entry. There may not necessarily even be a right turn. Best that you just do as you're told, so you don't fall into any silly traps.

Besides, if that left turn really does "look too complicated", are you really ready to be let loose on the roads?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.