Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in AS year studying English Literature, History and ICT (not my first choice of subjects). I am planning to move to another sixth form for my A2 year, however this new sixth form doesn't offer ICT as an A level so I was planning on carrying on English lit and History on to A2 and picking up Psychology and another subject as an AS. However, I have heard it is very unlikely to be accepted by ideal universities with just 2 A levels and 3 AS, so I am planning on doing Psychology A level in one year and picking up another AS. The problem is I don't know what's the best other subject I should pick :confused: I was thinking of picking up Biology (as I'm planning on doing a degree in Psychology at uni), but as I am planning to do A level Psychology in one year it would be very difficult for me to get the A or B grade I need in it. Does it matter if I pick a less needed subject as an AS like Media,Citizenship,Government & Politics etc? I can easily get high grades in English based subjects as English is one of my strong points.

I just don't know what to do next year:confused::confused::confused:
    And don't want to do an extra year.. Is there an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it would be very dificult but not impossible. If you find the subjects easy and are willing to work very very hard, thenI'd go for it. If not, I would consider perhaps doing one of the easier ones (and may i add RS to that list and it is an easier more 'accepted' A-level).

This is especially as Hisotry and English Lit. are essay subjects and so take a lot of work (especially in coursework)

ReputationRep:
    Oh.... I do have a friend who did an extra year and ended up with what she got the first time plus 5 As at AS, so it was definately worth it for her. She took an extra year as decided she didn't like her subjects and so took different one.

ReputationRep:
    There's not really any need to pick up an extra AS. If you do Psychology A2 in one year, you'll have 3 full A-levels and an AS in ICT which would most likely be fine. Doing more than History, English and Psychology AS+A2 could end up damaging your grades so I wouldn't advise it unless you really think it's necessary. Check whether the unis you want to apply to require Biology but if not, then I'd really suggest just doing the three subjects. Perhaps find out what exam board you'll be doing in Psychology and start some preliminary reading over the summer holidays so that it's not too stressful learning everything in just the one year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    There's not really any need to pick up an extra AS. If you do Psychology A2 in one year, you'll have 3 full A-levels and an AS in ICT which would most likely be fine. Doing more than History, English and Psychology AS+A2 could end up damaging your grades so I wouldn't advise it unless you really think it's necessary. Check whether the unis you want to apply to require Biology but if not, then I'd really suggest just doing the three subjects. Perhaps find out what exam board you'll be doing in Psychology and start some preliminary reading over the summer holidays so that it's not too stressful learning everything in just the one year.
    Thank you, I've realized I don't actually need the extra AS. But thanks for the adivce

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.