Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

About 2-3 weeks ago, I deleted a few video files from my 'Recycle Bin'.

I read on various websites that you can use software like 'Uneraser' and 'PC Inspector File Recovery' to get the files back and I have downloaded both of those programs.

However, I can only find a few of the videos I've deleted (I guess it doesn't help that I can't remember the names of the files), and some of the ones I've recovered don't work (they won't play on Windows Media Player or Realplayer and their icon doesn't come up with a preview image).

Is it possible that some of the videos have been permanently deleted (/their space has been reallocated)? It's only been a few weeks and I haven't performed defragmentation since... forever.

I suspect that the files may have been permanently deleted because when I use the 'Uneraser' wizard to search for movie files, only a few of them come up. And the same ones come up on 'PC Inspector File Recovery'.

Also, is there a reason why some of the videos I have recovered don't work?

Thank you for the help.

I will definitely have to think twice before deleting things.

ReputationRep:
    well, 2or3 weeks and you still hope that the files can be recovered completely?

if you keep the disk unwriten you may get the perfect result, but the disk has to keep on writing things on your disk under your operating for over 2 weeks

I think you shoould give up, these recovered files are not the one it used to be, they are only some corrupt fragments which contain the header or some other features for the recovering applications to recognize them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yada)
    well, 2or3 weeks and you still hope that the files can be recovered completely?

if you keep the disk unwriten you may get the perfect result, but the disk has to keep on writing things on your disk under your operating for over 2 weeks

I think you shoould give up, these recovered files are not the one it used to be, they are only some corrupt fragments which contain the header or some other features for the recovering applications to recognize them.
    Oh damn.

Thanks for the info.

I always thought computers kept things for ages because of all the warnings about selling computers on ebay.

Ah, this sucks.

ReputationRep:
    If the files were fragmented in the first place, it makes it very difficult to piece them back together again.

ReputationRep:
    You could try Piriform Recuva, I've had good results with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.