Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Haaai,

Having recently become interested in taking pictures, i've decided to upgrade from a compact to a DSLR. Only problem, i'm way out of my depth and no idea what would be good for a beginner in this field..

I'm on a budget of about £400-£600 and have been looking at the Canon 550D, which seems to have a great spec for this price range, but then again i could be wrong.

Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    Canon, Nikon or Sony are all great, and it'd be worth taking a look at Panasonic's Lumix G series too.

ReputationRep:
    Nikon everytime

ReputationRep:
    You can't go wrong with most DSLRs, although I'd be cautious about buying Samsung, they're not renowned for making good quality cameras.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Nikon D5000, and I love it. And they don't cost much, defiantly within your budget incld. the kit price.

All I suggest is that you make sure you look at Kit prices that way you don't have to worry about finding a cheapish lense.

ReputationRep:
    I use to consider Nikon and Canon as brands but you should let me know what kind of photography do you enjoy taking so I can give you better, more-specific advice.
    If you like taking photos by night, landscape photos, portraits..that's all different.

About Canon 550D all I have to say is that..Yes, it has great specification but since you can use it for taking pictures and recording videos too it is not professional so it's just a "no-no" from my point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzza)
    Haaai,

Having recently become interested in taking pictures, i've decided to upgrade from a compact to a DSLR. Only problem, i'm way out of my depth and no idea what would be good for a beginner in this field..

I'm on a budget of about £400-£600 and have been looking at the Canon 550D, which seems to have a great spec for this price range, but then again i could be wrong.

Any recommendations?
    I just got given the Canon 550D as an xmas pressie and have not put it down since.

Theres always a war between Canon and Nikon tbf, so either I'd say go for the Canon 550D/Nikon D90 both of them are great camera's.

Love my 550D though.

EDIT: Someone told me its not mainly about the body, its about the glass (lenses) so maybe get a decent model and spend the excess on another lens?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Canon eos 450d & I'm in looove with it. Could always go for the latest model. I would suggest doing your research on several different cameras and then actually going out and getting a feel for each one. Asking someones opinion is all very well, but what someone else likes won't necessarily be what you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)
    I use to consider Nikon and Canon as brands but you should let me know what kind of photography do you enjoy taking so I can give you better, more-specific advice.
    If you like taking photos by night, landscape photos, portraits..that's all different.

About Canon 550D all I have to say is that..Yes, it has great specification but since you can use it for taking pictures and recording videos too it is not professional so it's just a "no-no" from my point of view.

I love taking pictures at night, and playing with light, but also find myself taking pictures of obscure places and landscapes..

Considering it's just a new thing for me, finding the right camera is vital as i doubt i'd replace ti for a while..

ReputationRep:
    I love taking pictures at night, and playing with light, but also find myself taking pictures of obscure places and landscapes..

Considering it's just a new thing for me, finding the right camera is vital as i doubt i'd replace ti for a while..
    I was in the same situation but I had to hurry while (I think) you don't, so I didn't manage to make much research on DSLRs also because I was new in the field and didn't know any trustworthy source.

It might be a put-off and I'm really sorry for that but I suggest using the camera you already have for a while until you get more experience and you use its entire "capacity" and don't just rush this decision..you might spend a lot of money on something you don't need or you don't know how to use at all.
    Take it step by step.

P.S.: I have a professional DSLR and I've studied photography for one year.

ReputationRep:
    Haaai,

Any recommendations?
    I definitely recommend a Canon. A 550D would be the best option because your budget is too low for a 60D or 7D with at least one lens. If you are comfortable with used equipment, try looking for some on eBay, for example. Many rich people buy a DSLR in these days and only then discover that they can not use it properly, it is big and heavy and so they return to their wife's Sony compact. Plus there are photographers who are selling their entry level equipment to get more advanced items.

ReputationRep:
    Haaai,

Any recommendations?
    Generally Nikon D3100 is considered a good beginner camera, however in my personal opinion it feels too much like a toy and its longevity is short, because you will sooner rather than later feel that it is not enough for you.

Canon 550D is definitely a good camera and has more longevity than Nikon D3100. Leave Nikon D5000 alone, it is being put out of production. D90 is a good camera but it's obsolete as a model, and there are rumours that it is going to be replaced by next year.

However for low light situations as you described, the beginner models are not ideal. You would need a camera that has a good ISO performance without adding too much "noise" (don't get lost here, it's something you will learn with time and practice) and this is something that generally pro cameras feature.

For the budget you have, I'd say go for 550D and as soon as you can, invest in some good glass (lens) depending on what kind of photography you prefer. Canon L series (marked by a red ribbon around the lens) are as expensive as qualitatively worthy, however Sigma and Tamron produce good compatible lenses that are usually cheaper.

As somebody else already suggested, have a look on eBay for used equipment, too. Sometimes there are real bargains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike_mike)

Seeing if it shoots video or not is an absolutely ridiculous way of considering it professional or not Are you saying that the 60D, 7D and 5D mk2 are all not professional cameras because they shoot video too? By your thinking, my 50D is more professional than a 7D because mine doesn't shoot video :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Nikon D90.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Nikon D90.
    The 50D is pretty much the same price but better specced in many ways :rolleyes: I own a 50D and I sell D90s at work and the 50D feels better in my hands, the buttons are actually in the right place (rather than totally out of the way on the left hand side of the body), wider selection of lenses (including MF lenses with adapters), has a faster startup speed and blows the D90 away in terms of fps. Also a better build construction with a magnesium shell and weather sealing. 1/8000 fastest shutter over 1/4000 and 1/250 shutter sync versus 1/200 with the Nikon. The Nikon appears to trump the Canon with 11 AF points versus the Canon's 9 but only one of the D90's points is cross type, whereas all 9 of the Canon's are the cross type so it evens things out a bit.

Apart from the fact that everyone chooses their own brand, I think so far I've argued my case far better than you have :p:

ReputationRep:
    Jessops has an amazing deal on the Sony A390, and Sony's are best value for money. They bought out a company (Midora, I think it was called) so those old lenses fit the Sony, so you can get a decent second hand lens cheap, and the A390 itself comes with an 18-70mm lens (most only come with 18-55) is 14.2 megapixels, and also comes with a free tripod. It also has image stabilisation in the body itself, whereas Canon only have it in the lens, so if you put on a lens without stabilisation, the shots will still come out clear. It's only about £330, as there's a sale on atm. I've bought it, but haven't used it yet as I had to order it in. Getting one in a couple of days though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    The 50D is pretty much the same price but better specced in many ways :rolleyes: I own a 50D and I sell D90s at work and the 50D feels better in my hands, the buttons are actually in the right place (rather than totally out of the way on the left hand side of the body), wider selection of lenses (including MF lenses with adapters), has a faster startup speed and blows the D90 away in terms of fps. Also a better build construction with a magnesium shell and weather sealing. 1/8000 fastest shutter over 1/4000 and 1/250 shutter sync versus 1/200 with the Nikon. The Nikon appears to trump the Canon with 11 AF points versus the Canon's 9 but only one of the D90's points is cross type, whereas all 9 of the Canon's are the cross type so it evens things out a bit.

Apart from the fact that everyone chooses their own brand, I think so far I've argued my case far better than you have :p:
    The problem is though if you buy a 50D you have to own a Canon, which have (subjective to an extent) poor control layout and on many occasions can be a pain to use. They also have a generally worse autofocus system; faster but usually less accurate than the nikons, which never miss.
    You also get to use all of Nikon's legendary lenses since the 70s with a D90, Canon haven't been going strong all that long.

Also it's worth noting that the D90 is much smaller and ligher than the monolithic 50D and who needs those FPS? Oh, D90 viewfinder is bigger.

If you are considering upgrading to film or FF Nikon is also a superior contender with the unbeatable F6 and D700 (not to mention all previous manual focus films and the upcoming D800).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    The problem is though if you buy a 50D you have to own a Canon, which have (subjective to an extent) poor control layout and on many occasions can be a pain to use. They also have a generally worse autofocus system; faster but usually less accurate than the nikons, which never miss.
    You also get to use all of Nikon's legendary lenses since the 70s with a D90, Canon haven't been going strong all that long.

Also it's worth noting that the D90 is much smaller and ligher than the monolithic 50D and who needs those FPS? Oh, D90 viewfinder is bigger.

If you are considering upgrading to film or FF Nikon is also a superior contender with the unbeatable F6 and D700 (not to mention all previous manual focus films and the upcoming D800).
    Poor control layout? :rolleyes: I find the control layout with the Nikon awful, all the buttons are on the left side of the screen and require me to remove my hand from the lens to use them. I never have problems with my AF, although I'm going to attempt microadjustment on mine soon to get it even more bang on.

You're saying Canon's L series lenses aren't legendary? I would argue even more so than Nikon's lenses. All those white lenses at the horse races and football matches - all Canon L series. The EF lens mount came in in 1987 and any EF mount lens made since that date can be used, no questions asked, on any Canon camera. EF-S lenses can only be used on cropped sensor cameras but there aren't nearly so many of these and you wouldn't want to use them on full frame anyway :rolleyes: With adapters you can also use many other lenses - including Nikon - with full metering in aperture priority mode. Other lenses include M42 screw fit, Pentax K and many other early Russian mounts.

The 50D is larger and heavier, but as i said, better build construction with a Magnesium shell and weather sealing. I have big hands and the D90 feels small and the design isn't well thought out, but the 50D feels solid and larger enough to fill my hands with the buttons in the right place. The viewfinder is barely perceptibly larger, possibly by 1%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Poor control layout? :rolleyes: I find the control layout with the Nikon awful, all the buttons are on the left side of the screen and require me to remove my hand from the lens to use them. I never have problems with my AF, although I'm going to attempt microadjustment on mine soon to get it even more bang on.

You're saying Canon's L series lenses aren't legendary? I would argue even more so than Nikon's lenses. All those white lenses at the horse races and football matches - all Canon L series. The EF lens mount came in in 1987 and any EF mount lens made since that date can be used, no questions asked, on any Canon camera. EF-S lenses can only be used on cropped sensor cameras but there aren't nearly so many of these and you wouldn't want to use them on full frame anyway :rolleyes: With adapters you can also use many other lenses - including Nikon - with full metering in aperture priority mode. Other lenses include M42 screw fit, Pentax K and many other early Russian mounts.

The 50D is larger and heavier, but as i said, better build construction with a Magnesium shell and weather sealing. I have big hands and the D90 feels small and the design isn't well thought out, but the 50D feels solid and larger enough to fill my hands with the buttons in the right place. The viewfinder is barely perceptibly larger, possibly by 1%.

A good argument. Just a couple of point to remember, the F mount has been around since the late 50s and Nikon's 3D Colour Matrix metering is really the creme de la creme of metering; it never goes wrong.

With the body strength I see your point, and I almost bought a D300s for the superior body, but then I thought i'm not gonna bash it around THAT much or go out in torrential rain. So I found a cheap (new) D90 and spent the rest on some good lenses. For example Nikon's 35mm f/1.8 (£160) which is superb and Canon have nothing like it to offer as a general lens.

Edit: Don't forget the better noise handling of the D90 because it doesn't use the pointlessly high Mp sensors.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Photography student. A good beginner DSLR is the Nikon D40 or D60. The spec may not look good but it's not all about what the body lets in, it's what the lens lets in. I had a telephoto lens for mine and it was brilliant. You only need an entry class camera to start with.

Also, a tip for you is don't use the auto mode if you have a DSLR; there is so much you can do.

Hope you find a suitbale camera and good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.