Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to take the rest of the year off from Uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in my 2nd year at University. Well, somehow I managed to make it... This year didn't start particularly well; so far, this year, I haven't got on well with anyone, haven't settled in to the second year, I've taken an overdose and was hospitalised, I threatened to kill myself on several more occasions, and I'm currently being treated by the doctor (hurrah), but this is taking too long. I was like that before I came to University, but I have become worse and worse...

Hence, I don't think I'm gonna pass my exams, at this rate. Or even survive until the end of the year... lol. I want to get treated before I take my exams, as I know I will fail otherwise, but the doctor doesn't seem to see the urgency of this. I'm not doing well at all, and it isn't because I'm whining about how hard my course is or anything, I just can't concentrate because I'm too depressed. If it wasn't for my illness I would be a valuable student, but at the moment I'm doing terribly, and I fear I will carry this reputation of a bad student just because of this. If it wasn't for my parents (who put me in Uni in the first place), I would have asked to take a gap year after my first year to get better.

So, I want to know... is it possible to... you know, discontinue studies for the rest of the year? I'm in desperate need of a break. I simply cannot continue like this.

ReputationRep:
    You probably need to check your uni's policy but I imagine you can go on a leave of absence if you submit evidence from your doctor. If they're not seeing the urgency of getting better then I'd either keep going back or see if you can see a different one.

ReputationRep:
    It should be possible to intermit for a while, depending on your university's policy. I just checked my uni's policy and they offer intermissions either for a complete academic year or for two terms (spring and summer), which is obviously what you're needing. As hannah_dru said, you'd need supporting evidence from your doctor, but it sounds like that wouldn't be an issue.

Take care of yourself, it takes a lot to realise that sometimes your health has to come first, so well done (without meaning to sound as patronising as that does!).

ReputationRep:
    Most unis should be sympahetic to your situation. Your health is paramount and should always be put before academic work. Sometimes a break and time to think is what is needed. I am sure your subject tutor will agree and come up with a plan of action for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.