Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Liam Gallagher: 'Musicians should take illegal downloading as a compliment' Watch

ReputationRep:
    So Liam Gallagher has given his views on illegal downloading of music. Amongst other things, here's what he has said:-

“I hate all these big, silly rock stars who moan – at least they’re ******* downloading your music, you ****, and paying attention, know what I mean?”

His attack to established musicians who complain about those who download their music using file sharing sites was pretty straightforward: “You should ******* appreciate that – what are you moaning about? “You’ve got ******* five big houses, so shut up.”

Source: http://www.p2pon.com/2010/04/12/liam...-a-compliment/

He would say that, because he's got millions in the bank. But what about new musicians who are struggling to make a living.

Do you agree with him?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Well hes right. Muscians make feck all money from CD's anyway. Its all in the concerts nd merchandise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    But what about new musicians who are struggling to make a living.
    Well, I've been to lots of gigs where the band has encouraged the audience to obtain their new album by whatever means necessary. Given the pretty minor amount they actually make from CDs, I think most would just prefer people were listening to their stuff to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    What a legend however, not all famous musicians frown upon illegal downloading. There's a video of Michael Jackson at a conference whilst someone's speaking about illegal downloading, and how it's killing the industry. The speaker says 'piracy is wrong' and MJ just laughs. They asked him why he laughed afterwards, and he said 'It sounded like he said pirates at sea are wrong'. I'm pretty sure many great artists appreciate people who download their musci, obviously not as much as the hardcore fans who queue up outside of HMV the night before a album release.

ReputationRep:
    There's no point trying to fight music piracy, it's been made abundantly clear that won't work. Artists need to adapt. One way is making their music DRM-free and easy to buy online for a reasonable cost, people don't want to buy whole albums on CD so much anymore. Even struggling artists gain exposure from music piracy which will inspire people to go to see live performances and buy merchandise.

Edit: Why shouldn't artists cut out parasitic record labels and sell their music directly online? I'm not fully familiar with the recording processes etc., but without CD production I don't see many overheads or the need for a record label (promotions? but that's what a manager's for?)

ReputationRep:
    Illegal downloads mean people are listening to your music -> More people listening to your music means you will better know -> More people will download legally -> More money.

Problem?

ReputationRep:
    He would say that, because he's got millions in the bank. But what about new musicians who are struggling to make a living.
    New artists struggle to make a living regardless of downloading, also with early lack of exposure it is highly unlikely any body is going to bother putting someones album up as a torrent as maybe one or two people will download it a month.

Also it depends on what you classify as new musicians. I have a few friends in a local band which has a video played on a few of the satellite music channels. Most if not all of the members of the band have second jobs. They have supported a couple of really popular bands (Deaf Havana, Elliot Minor).

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Course he's already made his pile of money.

funny thing is Oasis always used to go ballistic about people downloading their records... is he giving the finger to his brother here (who gets most of the writing credit iirc)

ReputationRep:
    The overall impression I got from that was "f*ckingf*ckingf*ckingf*ckingf*c kingf*ckingc*ntc*ntf*cking". Now, if I were to make an guess, would I be right in thinking that Liam Gallagher (whom I have never previously heard of) is the kind of entertainer who takes a subject that is vaguely controversial and swears about it lots and people call him a legend for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prodable)
    Illegal downloads mean people are listening to your music -> More people listening to your music means you will better know -> More people will download legally -> More money.

Problem?
    This is probably one of the very few times the "correlation does not equal causation" actually has grounding!

Legal downloads do not equal more money: they just equal monetary recuperation from illegal downloads.

Actual money for artists, as has been rightly said, is made from concerts and merchandise and -- sometimes -- record deals and so on.

ReputationRep:
    So Liam Gallagher has given his views on illegal downloading of music. Amongst other things, here's what he has said:-

“I hate all these big, silly rock stars who moan – at least they’re f*ck*n’ downloading your music, you c*nt, and paying attention, know what I mean?”

His attack to established musicians who complain about those who download their music using file sharing sites was pretty straightforward: “You should f*ck*n’ appreciate that – what are you moaning about? “You’ve got f*ck*n’ five big houses, so shut up.”

Source: http://www.p2pon.com/2010/04/12/liam...-a-compliment/

Do you agree with him?
    I can't remember which one of the two is the prick. Refresh my memory, won't you please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    The overall impression I got from that was "f*ckingf*ckingf*ckingf*ckingf*c kingf*ckingc*ntc*ntf*cking". Now, if I were to make an guess, would I be right in thinking that Liam Gallagher (whom I have never previously heard of) is the kind of entertainer who takes a subject that is vaguely controversial and swears about it lots and people call him a legend for it?
    You've never heard of Liam Gallagher???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eclectic Styles)
    I can't remember which one of the two is the prick. Refresh my memory, won't you please?
    Liam is the tosser, who thinks he's hard is always swearing and trying to start fights etc. Noel is the down to earth one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah noel was the brains of the outfit and liam was the swaggering ****. As writer noel gets the biggest slice of money out of the two when an Oasis record gets bought or played on the radio (afaik)

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely can't stand either of the Gallagher brothers, but the man talks sense.

DAMN HIM!

ReputationRep:
    Liam is the tosser, who thinks he's hard is always swearing and trying to start fights etc. Noel is the down to earth one.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Most bands make most of their money from gigs and concerts, not so much from CDs. It must be annoying for bands to know they're getting their albums across to people whilst making little money out of it, but in the long run people like the music and want to see the band live. And they pay A LOT to see a band live.

Illegally downloading an album gets you the same as downloading it for money. But downloading a bootleg of a gig is nothing like seeing a band live, is it?

ReputationRep:

Do you agree with him?
    He did specifically mention rockstars with five big houses; In all honesty it's not like metallica need your money.
    Personally, I always buy CDs and go see small bands that I like. I tend not to see huge bands due to silly ticket prices and because seated concerts suck.

ReputationRep:
    Who's he?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.