Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should reading your wife's e-mail be a crime? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should reading your wife's e-mail be a crime?
    yes
    19.23%
    no
    80.77%
    other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't have been going through his wife's e-mail, but in my opinion this should be more of a moral problem than a criminal problem. In other words, he was in the wrong, but he shouldn't go to jail or go to court over something so stupid.

A Rochester Hills man faces up to 5 years in prison — for reading his wife’s e-mail.

Oakland County prosecutors, relying on a Michigan statute typically used to prosecute crimes such as identity theft or stealing trade secrets, have charged Leon Walker, 33, with a felony after he logged onto a laptop in the home he shared with his wife, Clara Walker.

Using her password, he accessed her Gmail account and learned she was having an affair. He now is facing a Feb. 7 trial. She filed for divorce, which was finalized earlier this month.

Legal experts say it’s the first time the statute has been used in a domestic case, and it might be hard to prove.

Read more: http://landofthefreeish.com/privacy/...-mail-a-crime/

ReputationRep:
    His wife has an affair and he's in the wrong? She filed for divorce, as if he's the one who destroyed the marriage? Hate these ****ing women who always make themselves out to be the victim.

ReputationRep:
    If he was stupid enough to get caught, and they have evidence, yes. That sentence seems rather harsh though, but that's the USA for you.

I'm pretty sure that this is illegal in the UK too.

ReputationRep:
    It does seem a huge overreaction. Surely the law should be enforced with a degree of common sense?

ReputationRep:
    Lol'd at the neg, how about replying with an actual argument?

I don't think any sensible judge would give a prison sentence for something of this triviality, note that 5 years is the maximum sentence.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna say what the ****.
    The cheek of the woman, seriously. She has an affair, then files for divorce. Laughable.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's right that accessing someone's email without their permission is illegal. Are you saying there should be an exception for spouses? What about other family members? Maybe it should depend on their intentions for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Impossible; how could she even have email when there's no WiFi in the kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like his wife knows the right people tbh. I bet they wouldn't prosecute most people for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think it's right that accessing someone's email without their permission is illegal. Are you saying there should be an exception for spouses? What about other family members? Maybe it should depend on their intentions for doing it.
    Exactly, it's not like the government is going to add an exception for spouses. I don't know of any exceptions like this barring I think in the USA spouses have a right not to testify against each other (don't quote me on that).

ReputationRep:
    How many polls do you need to start OP?

As for the question I think it's about context than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it illegal to open letters not addressed to you?
    If that's the case, I don't see how emails are any different?

Although going to court over something like this does admittedly seem very petty (not to mention unfair, how did she work out he should be punished when she was having the affair?)

ReputationRep:
    HA! And we are said to be near Bankrupt in Britain? And they put the most people in court for stupid trials and sent to prison for all sorts for harsh sentences.... That is stupid.... One thing is if parents insist on snooping on their innocent teenager's email and computer or phone etc.... shouldn't that be illegal also for the case of schools,colleges and universities to use certain software to see what you are doing on the PC live. That is intercepting communications if they see something sensitive in your email.

Hold on : How do you prove such a thing. How do you prove someone read your email. Especially if it merely shows up as read either you clicked it and framed them and what if you have the same IP. This is confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    His wife has an affair and he's in the wrong? She filed for divorce, as if he's the one who destroyed the marriage? Hate these ****ing women who always make themselves out to be the victim.
    Having an affair isn't illegal. Hacking into somebody else's email account is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House of Jonny)
    Hold on : How do you prove such a thing. How do you prove someone read your email. Especially if it merely shows up as read either you clicked it and framed them and what if you have the same IP. This is confusing
    If its the only evidence that it was how he discovered the affair and if he admitted it to her then it was clear he is guilty of it.

I agree it stupid but from a perfectly logical point of view it has merit. If opening a letter adressed to Mr Smith is illegal even if its Mrs Smith doing it, then reading an email addressed to Mr Smith is also illegal.

If Mr Smith logged into Mrs Smith's online banking service would the reaction of people be te same?

ReputationRep:
    No, but a guy is a pussy if he reads his wife's e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is based on trust if you can't trust her why marry her?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.