Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this insomnia? :/ Watch

Lately, it's been taking me about half an hour before I really fall asleep. Could it be because I open my eyes every 3 or so minutes? I do this because I'm scared of the dark and I always think there's someone in the room that will kill me lol (sounds childish, I know) :/ This usually happens on the holidays. And sometimes (especially when I have school) I feel quite tired in the morning instead of feeling 'refreshed'. But maybe it's because I probably got a 4-5 hour sleep.

Is this insomnia and what can I do about it? Thanks ~

Oh and the weird thing is, I'm quite lively after I wake up, and I'm hardly ever tired at all unless I got less than 6 hours sleep the night before, which contradicts some of the symptoms of insomnia ... :s

ReputationRep:
    This is not insomnia. It takes me normally 2-3 hours to fall asleep, and no I don't suffer from insomnia either. Insomnia are the fakd up ones. How old are you?

(Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    This is not insomnia. It takes me normally 2-3 hours to fall asleep, and no I don't suffer from insomnia either. Insomnia are the fakd up ones. How old are you?
    15. Is there a reason why you asked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    15. Is there a reason why you asked?
    Not really, don't worry you don't suffer from insomnia.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No it takes me 2-3 hours to fall asleep! I wish I could get to sleep in half an hour!x

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it. but try going to bed a little earlier so that you get 7-8 hours if possible.

ReputationRep:
    Insomnia is actually not falling asleep, or not being able to stay asleep. You are falling asleep quite easily (half an hour is nothing), therefore you are not nearly an insomniac.

ReputationRep:
    whilst we're on the topic

what is insomnia? i know its something to do with sleep?

ReputationRep:
    woops, aliluvschoc answered the questions before i asked lol

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not. You might have some issues, but it's not insomnia.

ReputationRep:
    I get insomnia. 30 mins to get to sleep sounds like heaven.

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Insomnia is actually not falling asleep, or not being able to stay asleep. You are falling asleep quite easily (half an hour is nothing), therefore you are not nearly an insomniac.
    Really? I've always thought it was 'normal' to fall asleep in about 10 minutes and anything over 20 is ... not normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Really? I've always thought it was 'normal' to fall asleep in about 10 minutes and anything over 20 is ... not normal.
    In my experience, that's quite abnormal! Lucky if anything.

ReputationRep:
    Then I must be a lucky one, I could easily fall asleep in 10 mins on most nights, but agreed with all the replies, you are more than normal. When I suffered from insomina a couple of years back, I would be rolling in bed for hours. I woudl feel very tired and want to sleep but no matter what I do, I just wouldn't.

Don't know if it would work, but I was told by a friend this method once; when you eyes start to feel sleepy, don't shut them right away, instead keep them open for a little longer, by doign this, you are tempting your eyes to sleep or something like that. Never really works for me but worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people say they have insomnia to sound cool, while in actual fact they're probably just 15 year olds staying up late playing video games.

But yeah, in your case, any case, you'd know if you had insomnia and would've seen a doctor and crap.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be able to fall asleep within 30 minutes

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from occasional bouts of Insomnia, it's quite possibly the worst disorder in existence after 3+ days of no sleep. What you have isn't Insomnia, try finding a comfier position to sleep in or buy a new bed/pillows.

ReputationRep:
    Sleep with a low light?

Get a teddy?

I can't remember the last time I fell asleep within less than half an hour of going to bed, but I don't think that's particularly normal. 10-15 mins is probably about right. Also, try to settle into a regular sleeping pattern so you actually feel tired as bedtime draws closer and find it easier to nod off quickly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.