The Student Room Group

Stuff you've learnt from being in a relationship - either good or bad.

Post some stuff that you learnt which you didn't know previously, or you didn't believe and were just words to you before, but when faced with it, the action taught you something, etc.

Will update OP with the best things, can be good or bad.

Go! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I learnt that being in a relationship is underrated, and with a good guy it's pretty much bliss. :smile:
Reply 2
I learnt... once a cheat, always a cheat.
Reply 3
equality doesn't exist.
Can I get back to you on this one? :tongue:
He doesn't like butter on his bread when i make him a sandwich.
That at least one person on this planet finds me sexy (or says he does).

:erm:
Original post by Knighted
equality doesn't exist.

what you talking about?
Reply 8
That you shouldn't worry about how your partner will react to certain things - they want you do don't be nervous :smile:

That probably sounded wrong....

Also that inexperienced kissers may make you bleed :biggrin:
Reply 9
Actions speak louder than words

Trust your instincts

A person doesn't have to hit you for it to be abuse

If you find yourself living with someone and doing more of your fair share of the housework, do not ask them to 'help you' - it's a matter of them pulling their weight and doing their fair share

The healthiest, sanest relationships have always occurred when I've thought highly of myself and had lots of confidence. If you don't rate yourself highly, you'll put up with more crap than you should (see third point)

It's always better to be alone than to have a poor companion
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
That not getting wound up about things is the secret to a long relationship.
Reply 11
One-night stands are enormously over-rated.
Reply 12
-Twice a cheat, always a cheat.
-There's only a certain amount of chances you can give someone before you realise that you'll never ever go back there again
-I can't have a relationship with someone who takes days to reply/doesn't type properly, because it drives me insane :')
- That unrequited love is a waste of time and energy. I was with someone who didn't even care about me, let alone love me and it's draining and depressing.
- That although the initial rush of excitement ends after a while, that doesn't mean the relationship is dead.
- That you will get out what you put in. You can't just expect "feelings" and "love" to hold a relationship completely together.
- Communication is vital. You can't just expect someone to know what you're thinking.
- That there's NO excuse for cheating.
1) Always follow your heart, good times will lie ahead

2) ****ing ****ty times will lie ahead too.
Never make someone a priority, in your life, who only sees you as an option.
- The best things are those worked for.
- It is better to lose your pride with someone you love rather than to lose that someone you love with your pride.
- Trouble is part of your life, and if you don't share it, you don't give the person who loves you enough chance to love you enough.
- Communication is key.
- Sometimes you have to get to know someone really well to realize you're really strangers.

And on a more lighthearted note:

- Nerds are better in bed.
- Never let a kiss fool you, and never let a fool kiss you.
- Commit the oldest sins the newest kind of ways.
Reply 17
Do what makes you happy, its usually whats best for both of you.
Talk about stuff.
Say the minute something is wrong, dragging it out is stupid
Appreciate every minute, the right relationships don't always seem so at the time.
get out of it if there are signs that the other person treats you badly, they always apologise afterwards but that is just bull****, dragging on is the worst thing ever, tell yourself you deserve someone better
Reply 19
That even if it is true that 'men just don't listen', and even if most women can put up with that.. I really, really can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending