The Student Room Group

Stuff you've learnt from being in a relationship - either good or bad.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Relationships are awesome. Knowing the person you are with thinks you are the most fantastic person in the worls and would do anything gor you is an amazingf feeling. When you know your partner no longer feels like this, get out. Once it's gone you both need to be willing to work very very hard, and you need to see the signs that this is the case and the proof that you are both trying harder. If this isn't happening, it's over. Even if you both have feelings for each other, if you're not with the person you can say you want to be with for the rest of your life it's not worth it.
Don't stay in a relationship just for the sake of it. Being single and happy is much better than being coupled up and unhappy. That's probably the best lesson I have learnt this year! I am happy to be alone for the first time ever because I know I deserve better than what I have been offered so far :smile:
Oh yeah and when they don't want to have sex anymore on a regular basis, you're in trouble in my experience!
(edited 13 years ago)
Mistakes happen, but you don't learn unless you make them.
-never forget your friends.
-never depend on him
That it isn't sex on tap?
-Be with someone you love to talk to. As you get older, their conversational skills will be as important as any other.

-You don't need to have everything in common with them in order to have a great relationship.

-When you realise you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

-Forgive quickly
Reply 65
You're not an exception to the rule. Don't ignore things thinking that you are.
Reply 66
Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds
Reply 67
I've learnt that men actually do not listen. They just don't. I've also learnt though that you really need to give in about half the time, even if you know you are right, because really it probably doesn't matter.
Reply 68
Original post by XmasFoodChallenge
Post some stuff that you learnt which you didn't know previously, or you didn't believe and were just words to you before, but when faced with it, the action taught you something, etc.

Will update OP with the best things, can be good or bad.

Go! :smile:

Not to fall for the age old 'you would if you loved me' thing...:rolleyes:
That you don't have to do anything he asks to keep him
That love really can make you do crazy things
Not to allow yourself to be emotionally blackmailed
That we're all a lot stronger than we think we are

Yeah, I dated a total arse.
Since my first relationship, I've learnt that you have to bring out the best in each other. Once that stops, you know that you're going to be unhappy one way or another.
Reply 70
There is a thin line between loving someone for who they are, and loving someone because they love you.
Reply 71
If you have a problem, talk about it, don't bottle it up because it will only all come out in a big explosion a few weeks later and practically destroy your relationship.

Don't let jealousy over silly little things get you down because that will destroy a relationship - its silly to destroy a perfectly good relationship simply because you can't stand to see your boyfriend/girlfriend talking to another person when there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
Reply 72
Original post by littlehobbit

-never depend on him

and this.

Also, don't keep looking to the future all the time. All we ever thought about after a point was marriage. And that ended up destroyed our relationship.

Also, don't get complacent (i.e. don't assume that you will be with the person forever and don't have to work hard anymore to keep them - not true!)
Reply 73
Original post by alibobs

Oh yeah and when they don't want to have sex anymore on a regular basis, you're in trouble in my experience!

oh my gosh, and this!! I let this carry on for about a year in my last relationship, we broke up a month ago because I realised that I just wasn't in love with him. I saw him as only a friend, thats why we stopped having sex. :s-smilie:
You have to be able to laugh at each other, at the stupid things you do and say. When it's too intense all the time, it will end badly.
Original post by DesignFreak
He doesn't like butter on his bread when i make him a sandwich.

Neither do I. :biggrin:
that I am lazy, lack any emotion and they're not for me
if he holds back your hair while you're being sick, you know you've got a keeper :L
I learnt:

- You get gut instincts for a reason. Don't dismiss them outright, even if it goes against what people are telling you
- You can't expect people to understand or believe something that they can't see or don't know about
- Love is wonderful but also painful
- It really is possible to feel someone without touching them and to communicate lots of things without speaking
- Some things can't be expressed in words. Equally some things are best left unsaid
- It's as much about what's not said and not done than what is said and what is done
- Don't be too quick to judge. There are often factors that you may not know about
- You can be incredibly close to someone and know them very well, whilst not really knowing them at all. You can be incredibly close but very distant

I also learnt that I'm incredibly strong, capable of being selfless and am not a bad person :smile:
Always turn the webcam off.

/troll

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending