Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

depression due to rejection Watch

hi tsr
    last week i got rejected from oxford and i've been feeling crappy ever since.
    i applied for chemistry and i've got offers from ucl, imperial and warwick. but i still feel so rejected and depressed that i didn't get in cuz i wanted to go so badly. i've been so upset i haven't started revision for my january modules.

i guess it's sorta to do with the fact that i'm "no longer among the best" cuz i didnt get in and some other people from my year did. i'm finding it hard to come to terms with that fact that i will never go to the best university, and that i'll have to "settle" for second best. i always told myself not to get upset if i don't get into oxford, and i sort of believed it until i went for an interview 2 weeks ago. i fell in love with the place and i felt like i could live there forever. the interviews went so badly that i wondered why i even bothered applying even though i'm predicted 4A*. i felt really upset in myself at how badly i did and i can't stop blaming myself for ****ing up the only chance i had. it's all i can think about. i feel almost likea joke when i have to tell people i didnt get in cause they sorta look down on me anyway like "he won't get in anyway" (i didnt big myself up, i had the same attitude [not gonna get upset if rejected] on the outside as i did on the inside, even though i couldn't convice myself.)

i mean, i've even got offers from other unis but i still cant convince myself that i'm ok.
    imperial is known for sciences, but the social life there seems slacking due to a messed up boy:girl ratio.
    ucl seems like a good social life but it's not as prestigious.
    i cant seem to bring myself to "get over it"

i know everyone's gonna say "it'll pass, dw about it"
    but i can'tsee it ever passing.
    anyone else feels like this? or can give me advice?

tl;dr: feeling rejected/depressed and having an existential crisis.

ReputationRep:
    You pussy.

ReputationRep:
    Lifes a *****

ReputationRep:
    Technically you were settling for second best anyway, there are better universities out there than Oxford, it just depends where you want to measure from. If your that fussed about it get a first from where ever you go and do a post grad at Oxford. Chances are you will prefer where you end up anyway.

I got rejected from Cambridge, and yes it was pretty gutting but now I can't imagine not being at Birmingham because I love it. This isn't to say I wouldn't be having fun at Cambridge, but I just can't see myself having more fun.

Besides, as has been said, UCL and Imps are pro.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Its life. You're never as academic as you think you are. To be blunt, right now you're a big fish in a small pond. Move on from it, and stop being so melodramatic. Don't be so disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is pretty damn good for sciences, same level as Oxford.... You should be greatful!!!!

ReputationRep:
    You have offers from UCL, Warwick and Imperial. These universities are excellent universities and they will lead you to the best career chances in the future and you will have an amazing time, just as amazing as you would have had at Oxford at these universities.

I had a cambridge interview a few weeks ago it went bad because I was really nervous however you just have to take everything as a positive. I received valuable interview preparation which will come in handy for the future, I learnt all about bonds and I got to talk to loads of friendly people at cambridge.

I'm just happy I got the chance to have an interview, and if I get rejected then so be it! I have an offer at Bath which is an excellent unviersity just like Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Its life. You're never as academic as you think you are. To be blunt, right now you're a big fish in a small pond. Move on from it, and stop being so melodramatic. Don't be so disappointed.
    Clyde would say he's not even a fish.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who has an offer for Chemistry at Oxford and is turning it down for Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Trollolololol, lol lol lol loooool

(sung in the melody of the tralala christmas song)

I know how you feel I have also been rejected... and when I went there for the interviews... I couldnt imagine being anywhere else. Tha architecture, the colleges, the traditions, the prestigious element... the list goes on. Other unis are IMMENSE too - Imperial, UCL etc, among the worlds best, but I guess they arent Oxford. I cant see myself getting over my rejection either, I have wanted it for YEARS and others were confident in me getting it... then I messed it up somehow... It is so despressing as youve probably worked so hard all your life and dreamt of a place at Oxford, I have too, then to be turned down, its awful. Its a right stab in the soul. Loads of people probably think we're overreacting, but I dont know what to do either. I am seriously thinking about reapplying next year, but then again I may get another rejection, so Im not sure if its worth wasting a year we could always apply for post grad I guess, but I dont know, it doesnt seem to possess the same sense as undergrad. I dont know how to help just thought Id tell you you arent alone!

(Original post by Siddd)
    I have a friend who has an offer for Chemistry at Oxford and is turning it down for Imperial.
    damn. does he know that there are people that would do anything to have his place at oxford? (i.e. me)

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I know how you feel I have also been rejected... and when I went there for the interviews... I couldnt imagine being anywhere else. Tha architecture, the colleges, the traditions, the prestigious element... the list goes on. Other unis are IMMENSE too - Imperial, UCL etc, among the worlds best, but I guess they arent Oxford. I cant see myself getting over my rejection either, I have wanted it for YEARS and others were confident in me getting it... then I messed it up somehow... It is so despressing as youve probably worked so hard all your life and dreamt of a place at Oxford, I have too, then to be turned down, its awful. Its a right stab in the soul. Loads of people probably think we're overreacting, but I dont know what to do either. I am seriously thinking about reapplying next year, but then again I may get another rejection, so Im not sure if its worth wasting a year we could always apply for post grad I guess, but I dont know, it doesnt seem to possess the same sense as undergrad. I dont know how to help just thought Id tell you you arent alone!
    exactly. no one can relate to us thats why they're just hating.

it truly does hurt when you've wanted something for so long and you idolise it. and then its gone. with a letter, forever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddd)
    Someone will probably talk him out of it.

ReputationRep:
    what a ****
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    exactly. no one can relate to us thats why they're just hating.
    I've been rejected from Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackshadow)
    You have offers from UCL and Imperial and you're depressed? Think about those who have got no offers whatsoever and stop being so ungrateful.

/Thread
    I look forward to the next post of yours bemoaning anything whatsoever to do with your personal situation, whereupon I shall promptly interject with footage from Darfur/Palestine/Iraq.

I mean really, what a completely fatuous, clichéd attempt at a rebuttal.

ReputationRep:
    If I can give you my humble opinion... First of all, you received offers from top-notch schools, renowned for sciences and most likely able to give you first-class tuition. Be happy for that and be convinced that you must have done something good, after all, to be accepted by them.

Secondly, the "name" of the school is of relative importance, because first of all entering a prestigious school doesn't automatically constitute a patent of intelligence, and second because your value as a student and as a future professional are determined by your ability to make the most out of the chances that you have got.

In conclusion, do your best with what you got and it will have been worth it, I promise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackshadow)
    I am sorry? :confused:
    What part of the concept of reductio ad absurdum don't you understand?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    What part of the concept of reductio ad absurdum don't you understand?
    Ah how I do love logical fallacies! :love:

ReputationRep:
    My dear I know just how you're feeling. Rejected last week also. I don't think it means you're 'not the best' at all. Loads of people go to other top-10 unis and are extremely successful; some people come out of Oxford and can't even find a job.

Whether you got into Oxford was a matter of luck; whether you're successful later on is up to you.

Hope you (and I...) feel better soon!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.