Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should stem cell research be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should stim cell research be banned?
    yes
    4.73%
    no
    95.27%
    other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    There has been much debate on whether or not stem cell research should be made permanently illegal. In other words, stem cell research would never exist in America. I believe it shouldn't be, because it opens the door for research, including research towards finding a cure for several diseases. In fact, I read an article the other day in which they found a cure for HIV thanks to stem cell research, I don't have a link to the article though. What are your thoughts on stem cell research?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaturnVengeance)
    they found a cure for HIV ... I don't have a link to the article though
    heh

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2010/12/s...-cure-for-hiv/

ReputationRep:
      I hope not, since stem cells will hopefully be my area of research during/after my PhD!

ReputationRep:
      no because it has amazing potential and it's making use out of something that would just be wasted. I just see it as similar to dead people donating organs.

ReputationRep:
      Lol no. It has amazing potential, and in my opinion, it is the way forward for medicine. I hate to see Bible-bashing Republicans and the sort knocking it because it isn't what they would like.

ReputationRep:
      That is amazing.
      This is what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
      I'd be interested in an argument against stem cell research not based on religious dogma.

ReputationRep:
      Sixteen votes so far; 100% no.

This pleases me. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
      There is no reason why the research should stop! It needs to continue because the ability it could have to cure is unbelievable!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JW92)
      I'd be interested in an argument against stem cell research not based on religious dogma.
      Tbh I don't think one exists. I haven't heard one that is separated from religious anti-abortion arguments.

ReputationRep:
      Erm. Seriously, just stop talking unless you do a ton of research. There are several different types of stem cells, the main two being adult stem cells and embryonic stem cells. Adult stem cells come from organs, while embryonic stem cells (usually) come from embryos which are donated from IVF clinics who no longer require the embryo.

That is the major difference, the major moral difference is here. By extracting embryonic stems cells from an embryo, the embryo is destroyed. Adult stem cells have been used for years and there is no moral issue. The only issue is with embryonic stem cells: opponents of argue that all embryos can become a human, ergo it's morally wrong to experiment on them.

Adult stem cells have cured quite a few problems with people over years of research. Embryonic stem cells have not been fully tested on humans because there is concern about the cells causing cancer and other diseases to the host. The Californian research company, Geron Corporation, is the first to do a clinical test on humans (spinal cord injury patients) after a relatively successful test on rats and approval by the US Food and Drug Administration.

Why don't we just use adult stems cells (because embryos aren't destroyed and everyone is happy)? Well, they are multipotent - they can only change into a limited number of cells. Embryonic stem cells are pluripotent - they have the potential to become an unlimited number of cells.

I suggest you research embryonic stem cells, the embryo that it comes from, what happens and what would have happened to that embryo had it not been used for research.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sicarius1992)
      I hope not, since stem cells will hopefully be my area of research during/after my PhD!
      NO. IT'S ALL MINE! :cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KayK)
      NO. IT'S ALL MINE! :cool:
      Who knows, we could be in the same lab :cool:

ReputationRep:
      Working under me, of course :cool: Kidding

ReputationRep:
      yay

all nos so far! that sure as hell beats the massive idiocy that goes in most of the religious threads.

ReputationRep:
      Absolutely YES!Tell man that there are limits to everything\!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jonathan3909)
      Absolutely YES!Tell man that there are limits to everything\!!
      yes because obviously we should really limit the amount of happiness and suffering relief we give to people.

don't want them to feel too good, do we now.

ReputationRep:
      Just to state I'm against a ban! (which I'm sure pleases most of the people posting...)
      Well, there's a few ethical (non-religious) arguments against stem cells.
      The main ones focus in on embryonic stem cells (not many surround adult stem cells). This is because a large proportion of the stem cells we use in research currently come from embryonic tissue: 4-7 day old blastocyts discarded from IVF treatment, or occaisonally embryos from very early pregnancy termination.
      This raises questions over the moral status of the embryo and its right not to be violated. (when does an embryo become human? when its nervous system develops? when it takes a human form? when its organs develop?, its another entire argument in a way).
      In contrast, adult stem cells could be used, but there are huge cost implications and resource allocations asscociated with using them instead. This raises the argument as to whether we should be ploughing money and resources into this research when the money could be used elsewhere in healthcare to benefit a large number of individuals.
      However, I believe the large number of benefits to medicine and the wider society are much greater than the risks asccociated. Still, stem cell research should be under strict monitoring to stop abuse of the system (we don't want star wars clone armies now do we? ).

ReputationRep:
      Perhaps. I'll remind you of this thread in 10 years then

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.