Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telling new guy about dodgy past Watch

Announcements

I've been seeing this guy for about a month and it's going really, really well, and we've discussed starting a relationship in the new year (he actually asked me out a couple of weeks ago, but I said I wanted to take it slow).

The only thing is, a couple of months back I had a casual fling with my flatmate - we kind of used to get with each other out of boredom, and though I like him as a friend I definitely never had feelings for him, and I'm not even attracted to him anymore since meeting my new guy. We had sex a couple of times... and I caught chlamydia from him, which I didn't find out about until after I'd had sex with my new guy - so I had to tell him I was infected, which he was totally fine about, thankfully. He knows my 'number', that one was a serious relationship and the other was a rebound mistake.

He met me and the flatmate on the same night when we were at some party, so they're kinda friends as well. And obviously he comes round my flat. So I don't know if I should tell him that I had a fling with my flatmate...

On one hand I hate hate hate lying and feel like it's a bad omen to start a new relationship on lies, plus if he finds out somehow (I don't think my flatmate would ever tell him but who knows :/) he probably wouldn't be happy I kept it from him. And he's so understanding (take the chlamydia thing as an example) that I think maybe he'd be okay if I told him.

But on the other hand, the fling meant nothing to me, and I don't want nothing to ruin something so good. I don't want him to ever think there might still be something between me and the flatmate, like I don't want him to get jealous for no reason.

In a nutshell: meaningless fling with flatmate, met amazing guy and things are going really well, found out had STI from flatmate so had to tell new guy about STI, don't know whether to tell him about flatmate...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.