Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a 12 year old Year 8 student. I have my heart set on doing Computer Science at either one of Oxford or Cambridge. Now I know you might say I am too young to be set on what I want to do as a degree but trust me, I am set. This is what I want to do. You can say I'm too young, you can say whatever, but this is my goal and I know it.

I have looked up the entry requirements for the course at the universities and unsurprisingly they ask for straight As. The reason I have started this thread is because I would like to know how I can set my set myself on this path at this age. What subjects should I do GCSE? What subjects should I do at A-level? What work experience should I do? What type of extra curricular should I do? What exactly can I do from now on to maximize my chances to getting into either one of these universities?

At this moment I am a clean slate and I just want to do everything right, with minimal mistakes. I want to have no regrets. I look around and I always see people saying they wish they'd done this or they wish they knew that or they wish someone had told them about this. It seems like 99% of the students applying to university feel this way, my own brother too in fact. Anyway, I enjoy doing Maths and Sciences and this is where I achieve my best grades.

So, any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S - Is there much difference between Oxford and Cambridge on this course? It just seems like to me that the only difference is the location.

ReputationRep:
    lol

Edit: BTW, I stopped after 'I am a 12 year old Year 8 student.' - Enjoy your childhood, son !

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    What was the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Go to bed.
    This, you will succeed in school if you don't spend your early teenage years going to bed at 4am.

As for subjects, do well in Maths/English/ICT at GCSE, at A level take Maths (and maybe Further Maths if they request it) and then try some subjects that are thought highly of by the two universities (last I checked both ICT and Computing A levels aren't given much thought by them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcessNeo)
    This, you will succeed in school if you don't spend your early teenage years going to bed at 4am.
    It's holidays, isn't it?

(Original post by ExcessNeo)
    As for subjects, do well in Maths/English/ICT at GCSE, at A level take Maths (and maybe Further Maths if they request it) and then try some subjects that are thought highly of by the two universities (last I checked both ICT and Computing A levels aren't given much thought by them).
    Thank you for being the first one of help in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueandcream)
    It's holidays, isn't it?
    Your grammar and post make you sound asian?

Years 8-11 were by far the best and happiest years of my life, I can't believe how much I used to laugh in one day of school in year 11, don't think I'll ever be so content with life again. Remember that all decisions / responsibilities you have during that time are fake, so instead of thinking about this useless stuff, enjoy these 3 years of relative bliss. I feel that you might be influenced by an elder brother / parents about this currently irrelevant stuff?

In any case it doesn't matter what options you take for GCSE; just do very well in them. You can probably take double ICT, but most of it is likely to be coma-inducing coursework.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE choices don't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Your grammar and post make you sound asian?
    Bingo.

Years 8-11 were by far the best and happiest years of my life, I can't believe how much I used to laugh in one day of school in year 11, don't think I'll ever be so content with life again. Remember that all decisions / responsibilities you have during that time are fake, so instead of thinking about this useless stuff, enjoy these 3 years of relative bliss. I feel that you might be influenced by an elder brother / parents about this currently irrelevant stuff?

In any case it doesn't matter what options you take for GCSE; just do very well in them. You can probably take double ICT, but most of it is likely to be coma-inducing coursework.
    I see your concerns but it's almost the opposite of what is happening, kind of. My brother and parents are actually encouraging me to just enjoy school for what it is and decide on what I want to do later but it's just stuff I find irrelevant. Yes, I think enjoying school and being with my friends is important and I enjoy it a lot but at the same time I want to know where I am going. My parents aren't specifically successful and my brother has not done himself any favours when it comes to his education. He's very smart but he's wasted many opportunities. I don't want to go down the same path. I see what you are saying though. I do appear to be coming across as a militant Asian who is merely listening to his strict parents but that's simply not the case. Like I have said, I enjoy school and spending time with my friends but I just know exactly what I want to do. I see it more as a blessing than anything, knowing what I want to do this early since it seems to take everyone else such a long time to decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben25)
    Your GCSE choices don't matter.
    Surely they must carry some weight?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, even I didn't start using TSR until I was in Year 9. Okay, so I was desperate for SATS papers...but this is some next level craziness.

ReputationRep:
    Bingo.

I see your concerns but it's almost the opposite of what is happening, kind of. My brother and parents are actually encouraging me to just enjoy school for what it is and decide on what I want to do later but it's just stuff I find irrelevant. Yes, I think enjoying school and being with my friends is important and I enjoy it a lot but at the same time I want to know where I am going. My parents aren't specifically successful and my brother has not done himself any favours when it comes to his education. He's very smart but he's wasted many opportunities. I don't want to go down the same path. I see what you are saying though. I do appear to be coming across as a militant Asian who is merely listening to his strict parents but that's simply not the case. Like I have said, I enjoy school and spending time with my friends but I just know exactly what I want to do. I see it more as a blessing than anything, knowing what I want to do this early since it seems to take everyone else such a long time to decide.
    Fair enough. You seem to already know what you 'want to do' so you could follow up on your interest if you wanted e.g. read things on computer science which you find interesting etc.

ReputationRep:
    What was the point?
    Developing a crush on Cambridge and Oxford at this age is not healthy. They're just universities. Although it's good to have goals, you should not be narrow-minded about what you want to do. Saying you are dead set on CS when you probably have no idea what it's about is not exactly wise.

The best thing to do is just get good grades in your subjects, and get serious with maths. Maths is the most important thing you will study for years to come. If you want to get to the heart of computer science, find a book on algorithms.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and sciences sounds good - are you doing any programming yet?

ReputationRep:
    I am a 12 year old Year 8 student. I have my heart set on doing Computer Science at either one of Oxford or Cambridge. Now I know you might say I am too young to be set on what I want to do as a degree but trust me, I am set. This is what I want to do. You can say I'm too young, you can say whatever, but this is my goal and I know it.

I have looked up the entry requirements for the course at the universities and unsurprisingly they ask for straight As. The reason I have started this thread is because I would like to know how I can set my set myself on this path at this age. What subjects should I do GCSE? What subjects should I do at A-level? What work experience should I do? What type of extra curricular should I do? What exactly can I do from now on to maximize my chances to getting into either one of these universities?

At this moment I am a clean slate and I just want to do everything right, with minimal mistakes. I want to have no regrets. I look around and I always see people saying they wish they'd done this or they wish they knew that or they wish someone had told them about this. It seems like 99% of the students applying to university feel this way, my own brother too in fact. Anyway, I enjoy doing Maths and Sciences and this is where I achieve my best grades.

So, any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S - Is there much difference between Oxford and Cambridge on this course? It just seems like to me that the only difference is the location.
    GCSEs: doesnt matter, just get plenty of A and A*s
    A Levels:
    -Maths and Further Maths for definite
    -i'd add Physics and one from Chemistry, Economics, Electronics or Biology.

Try to learn a programming language when you're 16 ish (you sound pretty bright), Java shouldnt be too challenging. This'll get you thinking very logically.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a state of shock... you're 12???
    with 12 I think I didn't even know what Computer Science is... (I'm holding an offer from Oxford for Computer Science by the way )
    I started to seriously 'study' when I was 17 I think.. you should enjoy your life, you're just a kid!
    and having such a passion for Computer Science at your age, that's all you need really, at least for now
    I'm curious.. why do you want to do it? do you know what it involves?

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair I decided I wanted to study CS at 12-13 too, and haven't changed mind since then. I was setting up and mantaining an MMO server (took me nearly a month just to understand what I needed to do). Happy times .

Well, just be aware that there is a lot of math involved. I didn't realize it either then.

Oh, and if you want to get into programming, I'd personally suggest starting with Python. The syntax is pretty simple, so you can work on what really matters, rather than just learning the specifics of a language

ReputationRep:
    At your age (lol I don't mean to sound like your Chacha / grandfather) it's not so much about what you should do but what you should not do.

You're obviously very intelligent, and all you need to do is stay away from the bad things in life which ruin many a smart child's prospects through education. I'm sure you know what I mean; remember to stay away from people who are going to be a bad influence because it's incredibly surprising how their habits can pass on to you before you even realise it. Don't start drinking loads and partying all night, smoking weed, becoming rude and arrogant to teachers and not doing work etc. etc. and I'm sure you'll get nothing other than top marks through school. You sound like the kinda person who revises properly for exams and that so that doesn't really need saying. Just don't **** up lol and enjoy school - best years of your life!

Oh and do focus just as hard on your other subjects and whatever extra-curric. stuff you're interested in too. Just because you know the course you want to study, try not to kill your chances of becoming a well-rounded individual by only devoting yourself to what you think are computer science related subjects.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    All I have to say is that you shouldn't get your hopes up too much and set the next 5 years of your life on Oxbridge - if you don't get an offer you'll probably kill yourself. Sounds harsh, but Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all.

ReputationRep:
    Not saying you should be learning programming right now btw - otoh I don't think it'd be the strangest thing in the world if you wanted to seeing as you're that interested in CS.

you could download UCB logo which is designed as a learner language for kids so there's less of a frustration barrier to get over than with certain other languages and you get a pretty quick 'payoff' with the graphics - I've had some fun with it myself as an adult drawing fractals and so on. you can learn loops, conditional branches, procedures & recursion with logo.
    You could get the hang of programming with logo before moving onto something a bit more advanced like Python or java.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.