Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of getting a new phone and although I've never had any problems with 02 (I'm in Rootes by the way) have seen a very good deal from Orange and one from T-Mobile and the decider will probably be if one's coverage is notably better than the others. I've heard some pretty bad things about Orange at Warwick and T-Mobile generally, so info from anyone who has recent experience (I know things may have changed recently) of either would be great. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc_123)
    Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of getting a new phone and although I've never had any problems with 02 (I'm in Rootes by the way) have seen a very good deal from Orange and one from T-Mobile and the decider will probably be if one's coverage is notably better than the others. I've heard some pretty bad things about Orange at Warwick and T-Mobile generally, so info from anyone who has recent experience (I know things may have changed recently) of either would be great. Thanks!
    I used T-Mobile for a long time and never got a single problem. I heard bad things about O2 and therefore never used it. Orange is OK, and Virgin is pretty good in my experience. If coverage is what you are after, then Vodafone is a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    am on orange and id recommend anyone to go there especially if its a PAYG, i top up by £10 a month with my dorphin plan and i got in return an extra 300 text and free internet for a month... beat that and for coverage its now grat that they have merge with tmobile and they use each other network coverage

ReputationRep:
    I have been on t-mobile and my signal was usually weak in my room (cryfield) but OK around campus. I just bought an 02 phone so fingers crossed for when we get back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyb86)
    am on orange and id recommend anyone to go there especially if its a PAYG, i top up by £10 a month with my dorphin plan and i got in return an extra 300 text and free internet for a month... beat that and for coverage its now grat that they have merge with tmobile and they use each other network coverage
    ah that's excellent news... i've foundsome very good deal on contract so i think i'll go with them considering the free phone, but if t-mobile has pretty good coverage at warwick and if they and orange are together there shouldn't be an issue. is that a pretty recent development, because a lot of the negative things I've been hearing about orange were from a while ago so maybe that's now not an issue. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dshadow)
    I used T-Mobile for a long time and never got a single problem. I heard bad things about O2 and therefore never used it. Orange is OK, and Virgin is pretty good in my experience. If coverage is what you are after, then Vodafone is a good choice.
    yeah i've heard vodafone are very good but from what i've seen charge at least £10 a month more. the other criticism of t-mobile i've heard is that there customer service is particularly bad... have you had any experience of that? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i've heard vodafone are very good but from what i've seen charge at least £10 a month more. the other criticism of t-mobile i've heard is that there customer service is particularly bad... have you had any experience of that? thanks!
    About Vodafone, that's right, they cost more than the rest, however Virgin use T-Mobile network and have decent bargains

About the customer service at T-mobile, the only time I needed assistance was when a new sim card kept crashing my phone. I brought it to one of their outlets and after testing it, they replaced it with a new one, no question asked. Fast and effective.

Customer service is made of people and my take on the matter is that it's pretty much a matter of luck.

You may come across the right people, who are understanding, patient and competent, or come across people who don't even know which planet they are on and who make you feel that assisting you is a graceful favour they are doing you only because they are benevolent superior beings. Like everywhere else, there are people who love their jobs and do it with dedication and people who are underpaid and unwilling to work properly.

However in the choice of the network, I would recommend either T-Mobile or Virgin. I used both and never had a problem (I was on PAYG, no contract, as I don't like to be tied to contracts that frame you with the same company for 1 to 2-3 years with automatic renewal).

ReputationRep:
    If you're after coverage then vodafone is the one. O3 have a lot of coverage issues. Unfortunately I'm stuck in a 24 month contract with o2...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/c...id=streetcheck Here you can verify the T-Mobile coverage area by area. For Warwick it seems pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    ah that's excellent news... i've foundsome very good deal on contract so i think i'll go with them considering the free phone, but if t-mobile has pretty good coverage at warwick and if they and orange are together there shouldn't be an issue. is that a pretty recent development, because a lot of the negative things I've been hearing about orange were from a while ago so maybe that's now not an issue. thanks!
    yes they merged in october-november month, no problem, glad i was able to help

ReputationRep:
    Yeah coverage in Rootes can be a bit sketchy - I've found you can lose signal depending on what part of the building you are in. As for Orange/T-Mobile, it doesn't matter, just remember to opt in to share the network at orange.co.uk/share or t-mobile.co.uk/share They'll probably be called Everything Everywhere by October anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused - I had O2 all of last year and it was fine everywhere except the Coppers...and maybe a little dodgy in old Rootes too, but I heard that was to do with the building structure and the same across all networks.

ReputationRep:
    I've had O2 the whole way through (I'm in my fourth year now) with several different phones. I've never, ever had a problem. Now, my boyfriend who is on vodafone never has any signal, can be stood next to me and not get any 3g/internet when I do. This is on campus and in Leamington. I'd say O2. Aren't they the biggest phone company now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.