Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do we have wheezing and shortness of breath for Emphysema?

Why does emphysema increase the rate of breath in individuals?!

What does cause reduction of surface area in emphysema?!

Thanks in advance. My teacher just bul****s ..he couldnt answer them tbh:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    does it say wikipedia at the top of the page?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)

Thanks in advance. My teacher just bul****s ..he couldnt answer them tbh:rolleyes:
    It increases rate of breathing because the alveolar surface area has been decreased (due to destruction of alveoli walls. That's what causes reduction of surface area i think) which means that the oxygen levels in blood also decrease. Sufferers of emphysema try to increase the level of oxygen in blood by breathing faster to increase oxygen supply.

Shortness of breath comes from difficulty in exhaling air due to loss of elastin in lungs.

Hopefully i've answered a couple of your questions and hope it helps a little.

ReputationRep:
    If i can remember right, emphysema is caused by the reduction in surface area of the alveloli, as they're walls have been damaged. Which means that oxygen transport is reduced.

Because your unable to take in enough oxygen

Because you need to breathe more to increase the oxygen demands of the body, as your getting less oxygen then if you didn't have emphysema.

Damage of the alveoli walls, this reduces the surface area for oxygen exchange? I think

Hope I helped, I'd double check this though.. :|

ReputationRep:
    the patient has hyperexpanded lungs and it is more difficult to breath in and so people take lighter and faster breaths. they would usually only get short of breath on activity and in its worse stages you require continuous oxygen. an exaccerbation such as infection can cause respiratory failure.

pure emphysema is only caused by a rare enzyme deficiency, alpha 1 antitryspin. the term chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is used and refers to emphysema and chronic bronchitis that you see in smokers. HTH

ReputationRep:
    a wheeze is a forced expiration against resistance. you get it in smokers because of the bronchi are inflammed and this is the bronchitis part of COPD, not the emphysema part, so you probably do not get wheeze in pure emphysema case.

you can often hear audible wheeze very clearly but if you listen to a person with COPD or asthma with a stethoscope you often only hear reduced breath sounds because they have these hyperexpanded lungs full of air. HTH

ReputationRep:
    here is a better explanation:

http://pathlabmed.typepad.com/surgic...e-bloater.html

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.