Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel stupid for asking this but must the AR and MR of an offence coincide in a possible offence. e.g. If you commit the AR of arson in respect of object Z then must you specifically have the mens rea to object Z or could it be to any object generally? Is there a general rule here?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry I cannot give you a specific answer on the English Law because I don't know it. In the rest of Europe with "continental" systems like France, Germany or Italy, the specific mens rea to that specific object is not necessary to configure the crime, in that it's sufficient that you accept in your mind that from your action may come negative consequences for the people involved. For example, if you want to set fire on a building and accept in your mind that from the fire can derive the death of people who are possibly inside, then if they die you may be held responsible of murdering them, as if you had done it willingly.
    I hope I made myself understood, otherwise please disregard the message

ReputationRep:
    It is the general principle of coincidence that the AR and MR must coincide in time, but no greater coincidence is needed (Ashworth). So in your example, the AR is fulfilled by the criminal damage by fire (arson) and the MR is satisfied by intent thereto. The AR is not arson 'in respect of object Z' as that is irrelevant. Hence the operation of transferred malice where the MR was directed towards some other object, the one damaged was not intended by the 'malice' (culpability in this sense) but as a fiction it is deemed to transfer to establish liability. See the Court of Crown Cases Reserved (old) cases of Latimer and Pembliton.

(Original post by dshadow)
    For example, if you want to set fire on a building and accept in your mind that from the fire can derive the death of people who are possibly inside, then if they die you may be held responsible of murdering them, as if you had done it willingly.
    Ah. Interestingly, that is not so in English law. Well not any more at least.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.