The Student Room Group

"People saying bad stuff about us should be shot" says £30,000 benefits claimant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
They must have other expenses aside from food though.

And it's twelve of them... It costs my family £200 per week for food for four of us, so for them it would be like £600... that's £31,200 a year. Uhh.

They must shop at Lidl or something.

£200 is loads. Me and my boyf spend about £30 a week on food, maybe sometimes up to £40, and we eat meat maybe 3/4 days a week. A family of 4 could survive on £60 a week. Sure, they wouldn't be eating the best food but it wouldn't be hard as long as you cut out all the unnecessary crap and bought own brand (not even value) stuff.

Edit: I mean £60 for food, not for everything (that would be mental).
(edited 13 years ago)
"Joanne Sheppard and Gary Batemen are expecting their twelfth child"

"They live with ten of their youngest children the oldest five have moved away and receive £20.30 for their eldest and £13.40 for the remaining nine."

Has no one else realised that this doesn't add up at all???
Reply 42
What a bastard. Wish he could be shot himself, this tool picks up more money from the taxpayer than my mum who works as a teacher.
Stories like this make me feel for the people who are genuinely disabled. So much stigma surrounds the welfare state because of people like this. :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by AshleyT
They really need to do something about people on benefits having so many kids...
Otherwise they're getting so much money that any amount of work wont be able to cover the cost...and where's the incentive to get out and work then?

Maybe for example the government should only fund up to 3-4 children or something?

I remember seeing some tory minister(jeremy hunt maybe, don't know) on newsnight, getting grilled about a policy almost exactly fitting your comment
Original post by Lemons
£200 is loads. Me and my boyf spend about £30 a week on food, maybe sometimes up to £40, and we eat meat maybe 3/4 days a week. A family of 4 could survive on £60 a week. Sure, they wouldn't be eating the best food but it wouldn't be hard as long as you cut out all the unnecessary crap and bought own brand (not even value) stuff.

Edit: I mean £60 for food, not for everything (that would be mental).

:lolwut:

Do you live on Pot Noodle or something?

I honestly cannot fathom how you could only spend £15 per person on food a week.

What do you drink? Tap water?

£15 is not even one bottle of decent wine :lolwut:
Original post by inksplodge
what about the mother? can't she work?

personally i think that is AWFUL on the children.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I would like to know what her reason is for not working. I hear that some women like to be stay-at-home mums, which is fair enough, but I think they should only be allowed to do so if their husbands are working and making a decent wage so that they don't need benefits. Otherwise it's just unfair on taxpayers.

Original post by AshleyT
They really need to do something about people on benefits having so many kids...
Otherwise they're getting so much money that any amount of work wont be able to cover the cost...and where's the incentive to get out and work then?

Maybe for example the government should only fund up to 3-4 children or something?

Yeah, good idea, this :yep:
Original post by Planar
I remember seeing some tory minister(jeremy hunt maybe, don't know) on newsnight, getting grilled about a policy almost exactly fitting your comment

Why should the government fund any children, tbh. :rolleyes:

If they can't afford children why are they having them?

I couldn't afford to feed an elephant. I don't go out and bloody get one.

Simples. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
To have an ounce of self-respect and contribute to society?

Self respect?

I think i'd rather take the money ta.

Not condoning it, but when the system allows you to choose between 200 a week (pre tax) and 600 a week (tax free, free house and without having to lift a finger) then you'd be silly not to take the money.
Reply 49

They must have other expenses aside from food though.

And it's twelve of them... It costs my family £200 per week for food for four of us, so for them it would be like £600... that's £31,200 a year. Uhh.

They must shop at Lidl or something.

Also, the 30k includes £14,400 going straight to the landlord.

Not that it makes this alright. However, I'm loving the complete over-reaction from TSR lol.

Maybe you should have posted one that focuses on the fact the claimant was not born in this country. :borat:
Reply 50
Original post by Calumcalum
"Joanne Sheppard and Gary Batemen are expecting their twelfth child"

"They live with ten of their youngest children the oldest five have moved away and receive £20.30 for their eldest and £13.40 for the remaining nine."

Has no one else realised that this doesn't add up at all???

It is the daily mail. They are not renowned for their mathematical abilities.
I-live-in-a-£300,000 five-bedroom home-paid-for-by-the-government-and-I-have-15-children-but-no-job-since-1999LAD.
Original post by spex
I think i'd rather take the money ta.

Not condoning it, but when the system allows you to choose between 200 a week (pre tax) and 600 a week (tax free, free house and without having to lift a finger) then you'd be silly not to take the money.

Or alternatively;

Don't be a lazy git at school, get decent qualifications, get decent job, earn (far) more than £600 a week, keep dignity.

I can't understand why people who clearly could work wouldn't bother and would be complacent with their lot.

It's not as if they're living in the lap of luxury.
Reply 53

I honestly cannot fathom how you could only spend £15 per person on food a week.

Lol.. 'not even on bottle of decent wine' :rofl:

I live in a household of 6 people, I'd say we spend about £150+ each week, but that doesn't include the fact we each have many meals outside of the house during the week. So I guess we spend more than your family, but could you please explain what is wrong with drinking tap water?
I just noticed this as well: "Miss Sheppard, 36, who has not worked for 20 years, said: ‘I just can’t understand what all the fuss is about.’

:lolwut: guess it wasn't a very long spell at work then...
I think you can't help feeling a sense of injustice - the man is obviously able to work as is the woman, and not only that but selfishly having lots of children whose quality of life they are now compromising and relying on the tax payer to bring them up.

However, with anything you are going to have the minority few who will take advantage and misuse the scheme and you can't do much about it. I hope their children grow up with a better work ethic!
Original post by Steph90
Lol.. 'not even on bottle of decent wine' :rofl:

I live in a household of 6 people, I'd say we spend about £150+ each week, but that doesn't include the fact we each have many meals outside of the house during the week. So I guess we spend more than your family, but could you please explain what is wrong with drinking tap water?

It just tastes completely wrong :lolwut:

Can you honestly not tell the difference between tap and bottled? Tap is just horrible in comparison...
Reply 57

I just noticed this as well: "Miss Sheppard, 36, who has not worked for 20 years, said: ‘I just can’t understand what all the fuss is about.’

:lolwut: guess it wasn't a very long spell at work then...

I love the daily mail. They seriously are geniuses, anyone who denies this is a retard.
Reply 58

No, I live in Yorkshire (and Leicester) blud clat. :smile:

The best tap water in the world. If Carlsberg did tap water, they would only do it in Yorkshire.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59

Pot noodles are not the cheapest way to eat, and they aren't very nice either. Food is a lot cheaper the more people you buy it for, and the more you make it from scratch ex. make your own pasta sauce instead of buying a jar, prepare your own salad instead of buying a bag etc. Also, if you don't eat a massive hunk of meat with every dinner, and have more vegetables instead you save loads.

I'm not really sure how to show you that it's possible without just giving you a shopping list, and frankly I can't be arsed.

I also rarely drink, but I didn't include alcohol in that amount anyway because that obviously wouldn't apply to kids. I don't really understand what's wrong with drinking tap water. It's what I drink most of the time when I'm at home too? Also you can just buy squash if you don't like drinking something without any proper taste (but again, who cares?).

Edit: £15 for a bottle of wine? That is loads. You can get decent stuff for closer to a tenner, and not awful wine for £5 if there are offers.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending