Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Expanding musical horizons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently deleted all of the music I had. Over the years, I've listened to a fair bit of music, mostly the good things although I had a brief stint with some sub par pop but that's another story. At any rate, I've listened to things ranging from Sigur Ros and Opeth to Joy Division and The Beatles. This is not to increase the size of my massive e-penis but to give you an idea of what kind of styles I'd be open to, which would be just about anything except most hip hop.

Recommend away.
    • PS Helper

I won't recommend anything in particular, but I'll say that if you want to discover new things, something like Last.fm is a good idea. There are also lots of music blogs that focus on bands and artists that aren't (yet) well-known, so you could have a poke around for that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I am on last.fm and it's not very helpful considering just about everything I had been scrobbling as of late was boring the crap out of me. No offence to any of the musicians/artists/whatever - it's just that they don't do it for me anymore and I am in need of something different. Hence, my want for finding new things and possibly going way back to the 60s (and listening to the more obscure music of that period) and making my way from there. Possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Lantlôs

ReputationRep:
    I'm pursuing the Opeth route here.

Maybe a wee bit of Power Metal? Kamelot or Firewind for example.

Or perhaps some Melodic Death Metal? Scar Symmetry, Disarmonia Mundi or Mercenary for example. Or the song in my sig.

Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Electronic music from late 80s, 90s and early 00s. Orbital, Leftfield, Daft Punk, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Plaid, The KLF, Aim.

First off get Leftism by Leftfield. One of my favourite albums of all time, if not my favourite. So much more to get too. So much fantastic music in this period. Golden age for music for me.

I used to be into the stuff you used to be into, then i saw the light and gradually moved away from most of it

ReputationRep:
    Dalek. Because only retards rule out entire genres.

Bored now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Lantlôs
    Goto: username. (:

(Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I'm pursuing the Opeth route here.

Maybe a wee bit of Power Metal? Kamelot or Firewind for example.

Or perhaps some Melodic Death Metal? Scar Symmetry, Disarmonia Mundi or Mercenary for example. Or the song in my sig.

Just a thought.
    Power metal is a little too flamboyant for my liking, at least, most of the power metal I've listened to. I didn't like the big names of the genre but I did like Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider, which then again, is power metal with tech-y trash riffs all over the place. In any case, what exactly is power metal? Is it not fairly fast metal with specific (fantasy?) lyrical themes?

Melodeath...I never went beyond the likes of early Dark Tranquility and Children of Bodom and again, this does not really appeal to me.

(Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Electronic music from late 80s, 90s and early 00s. Orbital, Leftfield, Daft Punk, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Plaid, The KLF, Aim.

First off get Leftism by Leftfield. One of my favourite albums of all time, if not my favourite. So much more to get too. So much fantastic music in this period. Golden age for music for me.

I used to be into the stuff you used to be into, then i saw the light and gradually moved away from most of it
    Oh yeah? What kind of stuff, more specifically? (:

I will download Leftism, listen to it as a whole and let you know.

(Original post by concubine)
    Dalek. Because only retards rule out entire genres.

Bored now.
    I was half-expecting to see you here. I remember making a similar thread about a year ago, under a different username and you recommended some of that stuff.

Only they? I suppose it is not they who dismiss an entire category of people based on one statement? : D

I have no problem with hip hop, nor with anyone listening to it. At least, not based on the fact that they listen to that particularly genre. I just do not really enjoy it. I could listen to a hip hop track casually if it were played to me by a friend or were being played at some place I were, but I don't think I possess the required patience to sit down with a whole album.

Thank you for the other recommendations, sir.

I'll get back to you later.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try the 'nu-folk' genre? Mumford and Sons, Noah & The Whale, Johnny Flynn, Laura Marling, Beirut, Bellowhead, Bon Iver, Stornoway etc. They sound pretty good to me.

I never get bored of bands like The Kinks, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Cure; you don't come across music like that anymore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    Oh yeah? What kind of stuff, more specifically? (:

I will download Leftism, listen to it as a whole and let you know.
    You mean the stuff i used to be into? Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Doors, Rainbow, Queen, AC/DC, Bowie, The Kinks, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, The Who, Bob Dylan etc. Just general classic rock classified things really mostly from 60s and 70s. I never got into the heavy metal of the 80s on the whole. However i still rate a lot highly and still listen to it from time to time but i don't listen to a lot of it much now. Though some bands like Queen i don't rate at all much now whilst people like Bonham's drumming in Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in general i still regard very highly. But some of it is showing its age now imo.

Either way for over a year now i have been highly interested in electronic music's culture and how it started off many exciting bands around that period. Albums like Leftism take a few listens to appreciate especially if you aren't aware of any similar music but is well worth its reward when you get into it. As said i would place it as one of the best if not the best albums ever. Saw them live too and they put in a fantastic show.

ReputationRep:
    You may well have already been exposed to Beck loveliness, but if you haven't, please expose yourself.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Can't go wrong with a bit o' Brian Wilson

ReputationRep:
    Ben Folds is awesome... and Jamiroquai's back catalogue is fairly nifty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nucleolus)
    Maybe try the 'nu-folk' genre? Mumford and Sons, Noah & The Whale, Johnny Flynn, Laura Marling, Beirut, Bellowhead, Bon Iver, Stornoway etc. They sound pretty good to me.

I never get bored of bands like The Kinks, The Smiths, The Stranglers, The Cure; you don't come across music like that anymore...
    I do not like Bon Iver but I will check out the rest and see if I do like them. Neo-folk on the other hand, I will definitely be getting some of.

The Smiths, while I do find some of their work to be pretty intricate (Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now springs to mind), I don't think they are consistent enough. I cannot bring myself to listen their albums in full, there's always lots of songs that I skip. I still like them though. The Cure, I love most of The Head on the Door and Seventeen Seconds. I have also listened to parts of Disintegration, Wish and a few other tracks, which I liked.

The rest, I'm not so familiar with and the little I heard didn't particularly impress me. I am talking about The Kinks here. Then again, I only know of two songs and these would be "You Really Got Me" and "A Well Respected Man". The latter of which I love.

(Original post by Gob Bluth)
    You mean the stuff i used to be into? Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Doors, Rainbow, Queen, AC/DC, Bowie, The Kinks, Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, The Who, Bob Dylan etc. Just general classic rock classified things really mostly from 60s and 70s. I never got into the heavy metal of the 80s on the whole. However i still rate a lot highly and still listen to it from time to time but i don't listen to a lot of it much now. Though some bands like Queen i don't rate at all much now whilst people like Bonham's drumming in Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in general i still regard very highly. But some of it is showing its age now imo.

Either way for over a year now i have been highly interested in electronic music's culture and how it started off many exciting bands around that period. Albums like Leftism take a few listens to appreciate especially if you aren't aware of any similar music but is well worth its reward when you get into it. As said i would place it as one of the best if not the best albums ever. Saw them live too and they put in a fantastic show.

I guess we share somewhat similar opinions with regards to this. I will give Leftism at least one listen.

And Concubine, thank you very much for the recommendations. I would make a list of the songs I enjoyed but I suppose it would be easier to just point out the ones I did not. (:

(they were just 3-4 from the lot!)

Edit:

Thank you guys, I will check out the rest tomorrow morning.

ReputationRep:
    Use www.allmusic.com, put in [artist name here] and check out their influences, contemporaries, other bands the members of said band are in/were in.

Drowned in Sound is a great site too, just pick random reviews and take a chance or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    I do not like Bon Iver but I will check out the rest and see if I do like them. Neo-folk on the other hand, I will definitely be getting some of.

The Smiths, while I do find some of their work to be pretty intricate (Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now springs to mind), I don't think they are consistent enough. I cannot bring myself to listen their albums in full, there's always lots of songs that I skip. I still like them though. The Cure, I love most of The Head on the Door and Seventeen Seconds. I have also listened to parts of Disintegration, Wish and a few other tracks, which I liked.

The rest, I'm not so familiar with and the little I heard didn't particularly impress me. I am talking about The Kinks here. Then again, I only know of two songs and these would be "You Really Got Me" and "A Well Respected Man". The latter of which I love.

I guess we share somewhat similar opinions with regards to this. I will give Leftism at least one listen.

And Concubine, thank you very much for the recommendations. I would make a list of the songs I enjoyed but I suppose it would be easier to just point out the ones I did not. (:

(they were just 3-4 from the lot!)

Edit:

Thank you guys, I will check out the rest tomorrow morning.
    BTW, about The Kinks, a couple of my friends are of the opinion they are better than The Beatles. I would check them out. Good band, though i'm not the biggest fan now.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely listen to Radiohead, go onto websites like pitchfork and see their albums of ten decade and give some a listen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    I recently deleted all of the music I had. Over the years, I've listened to a fair bit of music, mostly the good things although I had a brief stint with some sub par pop but that's another story. At any rate, I've listened to things ranging from Sigur Ros and Opeth to Joy Division and The Beatles. This is not to increase the size of my massive e-penis but to give you an idea of what kind of styles I'd be open to, which would be just about anything except most hip hop.

Recommend away.
    Trip-hop:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .neon)
    Power metal is a little too flamboyant for my liking, at least, most of the power metal I've listened to. I didn't like the big names of the genre but I did like Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider, which then again, is power metal with tech-y trash riffs all over the place. In any case, what exactly is power metal? Is it not fairly fast metal with specific (fantasy?) lyrical themes?
    Well really there's two types. The Iced Earth type is the early American mix of traditional Heavy Metal with a bit of speed metal or thrash - Savatage is another good example.

The newer version is more melodic (keyboards are pretty important) with catchy vocal lines and a bit of classical influence. I prefer this one tbh. I agree sometimes it's a bit OTT (especially DragonForce) but I think Kamelot and Firewind are just about right. And yeah the lyrics are usually fantasy-based, it's not a requirement though.

Try this one:

ReputationRep:
    Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz. Fennesz.

Well, it's who I'm listening to at the moment and even if you don't like him, you'll at least find it unique.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.