Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    15.50 of 0.00100 Nitric Acid reacts with and neutralises 10.00cm of CaOH solution.

I need the c. of CaOH in moldm-3

I worked out the moles of HNO3 to be 15.5/1000 x 0.001 which equals 0.0000155mol

I probably went wrong here.

(I have no idea what the ratio is, and I just went with 1:1)

Afterwards, to figure out the moles of CaOH in 1dm^3, I did this.

(1000/10) x 0.0000155 = 0.00155

----------------------

I figured this is wrong, and that the problem likely stems from the ratio. I'm not sure how to find out the ratio because I wasn't given much information. Could anybody help me?

ReputationRep:
    HNO3 + CaOH >>>>> H20 + CaO + NO2 I would assume.

Thus you were right with your 1:1 ratio.

So you know the number of moles of CaOH is 1.55 x 10^-5 moles so just turn that into a concentration. If you need help doing that just quote me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshed)
    HNO3 + CaOH >>>>> H20 + CaO + NO2 I would assume.

Thus you were right with your 1:1 ratio.

So you know the number of moles of CaOH is 1.55 x 10^-5 moles so just turn that into a concentration. If you need help doing that just quote me.
    Except Calcium Hydroxide is Ca(OH)2

EDIT - Also, acid + base = salt + water...... so your products are wrong too.

2HNO3 + Ca(OH)2 -> Ca(NO3)2 + 2H2O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    Except Calcium Hydroxide is Ca(OH)2

EDIT - Also, acid + base = salt + water...... so your products are wrong too.

2HNO3 + Ca(OH)2 -> Ca(NO3)2 + 2H2O
    Oh dear, that is a pretty basic mistake! *hangs head in shame* .....apparently I am a third year Biochemists too.....guess it comes from being on holiday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshed)
    that is a pretty basic mistake! *hangs head in shame*
    That's one way of putting it :gigg:

Dont let it eat away at you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    That's one way of putting it :gigg:

Dont let it eat away at you
    I'll let the HNO3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.