Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm doing the land warfare question and I was wondering if anyone who has done this/ doing it could help me?

The questions are:

"What, in your view, was the short term significance of the Battle of the Somme?"

and

"In considering the changing nature of warfare between 1854 and 1991 to what extent can the First World War be seen as a turning point?"

For the first question, would you write about the consequences of the war (e.g. how many people died, how much land was gained, etc or tactics).

For the second question, would you talk about warfare pre-1914, WW1 then after and compare them?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    We're only doing question A atm (and on a different topic) but my teacher was saying that doing it as looking at consequences rather than significance was fine as far as the exam board was concerned. It needs to be within around a 20 year period of the event and you should have 3/4 really clear points and good use of sources, which seeing as I'm doing something from the 16th centuary is proving a nightmare to find :p:

Can't help on the second I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, that helps a bit.

anyone have any ideas on how to structure the first question? :s

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any clue?

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything signinficant about the date 1854?

I did this c/w last year but on a completely different topic but I'll try and help.

For the first question I would try and split the different sort of areas that the Battle of Somme would have had an effect on in the short term. For example politically, militarily (morale and everything), publicly etc etc my (knowledge on the Battle of Somme is limited, so you could probably figure out some more areas). In your conclusion just sort of combine all your ideas and maybe state which factor was most important. Don't take my word for it though, you should get a second opinion :p:

He might know......

(Original post by Stricof)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junglee)
    Basically, I'm doing the land warfare question and I was wondering if anyone who has done this/ doing it could help me?

The questions are:

"What, in your view, was the short term significance of the Battle of the Somme?"

and

"In considering the changing nature of warfare between 1854 and 1991 to what extent can the First World War be seen as a turning point?"

For the first question, would you write about the consequences of the war (e.g. how many people died, how much land was gained, etc or tactics).

For the second question, would you talk about warfare pre-1914, WW1 then after and compare them?

Thank you.
    The first one is a range of factors question I think so structure it: Intro, How x was significant, how y was significant, how z was significant, Conclusion.

The next one you could do: Intro, 2/3 paragraphs on separate factors which underline WW1 WAS a turning point, 2/3 paragraphs on separate factors which underline WW1 WASN'T a turning point, conclusion.

And make sure for especially the second one that you keep your argument consistent throughout so say if you think WW1 was actually the turning point then say this in the intro and repeat it somewhere (in just one brief sentence) at the end of everyone of the paragraphs that you're writing where you're saying it WASN'T the turning point. So you could something like "Although these points are valid, the initial argument is more compelling as...".

Hope I've helped- I dunno much about these topics tbh, I'd lend you my CW (got full marks obviously :pierre: ) but it's on completely different topics (the significance of Nixon and the effect of the individual on the changing relationships between the powers between 1880 and1991).

In considering the changing nature of warfare between 1854 and 1991 to what extent can the First World War be seen as a turning point?

Thank you.
      Well yes. Warfare.
      Probably best to compare WWI to one or two other pre-WWI British wars. So use the Crimean War (late 1853-6) and the Boer Wars (First in 1880-1 and then in 1899-1902).

There is scope to suggest that in the early stages of WWI, military commanders such as Haig were still using old British tactics of the British Expeditionary Force (and telling his men to walk the battlefield during the Battle of the Somme). But then in the latter stages it would appear that these old commanders had to become more flexible (or face losing) and embraced new technology such as the mobile ambulance; tanks and an improved bolt action Lee Enfield. There was a very improved postal service for men in war (which was very important). Also I think men were able to be treated through cosmetic surgery for blast wounds and medical help was improving to stabilise the effects of shell shock.

There are other reasons but you should probably find sources to back up any claims made in your essay.
      (Original post by Deshi)
      Is there anything signinficant about the date 1854?.
      Read up, brah

ReputationRep:
      Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it.

ReputationRep:

The questions are:

and

Thank you.

not doing either of those questions, but am a bit of a nerd :rolleyes: in those periods of history so will throw in my $0.02 even though I haven't looked at them in years....

battle of the somme...short term....HUGE losses to british/french forces (talk about joke of haig wanting to move drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to berlin, and the morale losses etc.)

it did have sucesses, such as the french in verdun, it did also see some of the biggest tech advances as people sought to break the stalemate

it taught people about trench warfare (useful for WWII)

research into what warfare was like, the weapons used, the method of fighting etc. as everything was still colonial so you had cavalry charges and there was honour/respect for each other, although they were enemies, things like swords were very common....then your next advancement in in germany, you have the perfection of things such as artillery and guns, talk about the needle point gun and how the times called it a king in the war against austria, you then go on to WWI and how warfare become more horrific and although the honour did remain in some way, most of it went and talk about advances such as gas, tanks, flame throwers, etc....and how that changed the way warfare was carried out, stuff like trenches etc and how things such as planes were used, you can talk about the people that flew those planes and how they were all nobillity (red baron)etc.....you then go onto WWII in which things such as airtcraft were perfected and how the method of blitzkreig raped europe and I'd personally focus on russia and how war degenerated into an attempted annihlation of the russians, then look at cold war, things like the nukes, proxy wars etc..

personally I'd say WWII would be the turning point as it was then that all the honour and the cavalier spirit died, and although you do get stories like the christmas day football matches, in WWI, the people fighting the wars all held the belief of "blasted war, when will it be over" and there was respect for the germans and vice versa (read 4 horsemen of the apocslypse) and everyone was related and it you can mention how when enemies encountered each other the greeted each other, treated them well to hospitality and then sent them back or didn't kill them, whereas in WWII, none of that happened

just stuff off the top of my head....PM if you need more help...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.