Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying English and Philosophy and so far have unconditional offers for Sheffield and Liverpool. Was wondering which university held more 'prestige' I guess, as well as being better overall?

ReputationRep:
    Go and visit each university. Then find out which course suits you more, which location suits you more and which you will ultimately be happier with, forget about prestige.

ReputationRep:
    'Prestige' is BS, go and check them out yourself and check the course content. Although I know little about philosophy, I've heard that Sheffield runs a very interesting course.

ReputationRep:
    I guess they're both about the same in terms of reputation but I would go for Sheffield. English department is great, don't know much about Philosophy but I did a 1st year module and it was really good and well organised. Sheffield's accomodation is amazing, as is the Union. It has a really good atmosphere, loads of sports, societies and events. Really nice (safe) location, right next to town.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering more out of curiosity, my final decision will definitely be made after visiting the universities! Was firmly set on Liverpool, but Sheffield seems more homey and nicer in general. Still very confused, but thanks all for the advice :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshed)
    Go and visit each university. Then find out which course suits you more, which location suits you more and which you will ultimately be happier with, forget about prestige.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield holds more prestige I would say, though both are russel universities. However, it sounds like you prefer Liverpool, which is more important as you will be living there for three years (at least). They are both good universities, and in terms of job prospects I can't imagine the difference between the two would be significant.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of prestige they're both about equal (Liverpool slightly higher in the league tables).
    Both are red brick Universities (Liverpool becoming established in 1903, Sheffield in 1905).

In terms of the cities, I'm from Liverpool but regularly travel to Sheffield to see my cousins who go to that University.

Liverpool has more to actually do in my experience, Sheffield is a bit friendlier, but on the whole they are both fairly big cities with good, well established Universities with nice people (generally).

Essentially, choose it based on the department for your subject

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield definitely has the 'prestige', but, I wouldn't focus on that, as neither of them really have any prestige. They're both considered to be reasonable universities, but nothing exceptional. Just pick the one which is best for your course and which city you prefer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.