Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wassup.

I'm concerned about the Critical Reading section in the SATs mainly. I'm not the type of person who reads books, hence my vocabulary is quite bad to be honest. So I've taken to memorizing words from a word list.

This one in particular: http://www.majortests.com/sat/wordlist.php

Now my question is, will it be enough? What else can I do to adequately prepare myself for the vocab section? Thing is, I have a lot of time to prepare myself, 2 years to be exact.

The grammar section also seems to be quite daunting..the options are so similar..anything I can do other than practice tons of questions?

Any advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    2 Years is a hell of a long time to study for the SAT - to improve Vocab, widen your reading base. No list, including the one you have been using above, shall 'suffice' for the vocab questions, as its not like there are 5000 words that the test makers always use and thus memorising all 5,000 will mean you'll be able to answer every question.

They pick words at random in this regard, so the wider your reading base (i.e. quality books and publications), the better your chances of knowing words that appear on the test in general.

ReputationRep:
    That's true. Guess I just have to start loving to read.

ReputationRep:
    Read. Tbh, I think reading gave me what I needed to know for that.

For the grammar section, just do and redo as many questions as you can. The common sense answer of everyday language isn't always right there - I remember there was one rule in particular that cropped up again and again, but wasn't obvious from normal language. I repressed it though.

ReputationRep:
    Direct Hits. Get both Volumes (1 and 2). They're really good with vocabulary words. Check out the website College Confidential and look around the SAT section.

Also, try reading long and boring articles from various sources and try to ask yourself questions when you read the article. Do you understand what is being said? Try to make summaries of each paragraph as progress through articles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bitturiju)
    Wassup.

I'm concerned about the Critical Reading section in the SATs mainly. I'm not the type of person who reads books, hence my vocabulary is quite bad to be honest. So I've taken to memorizing words from a word list.

This one in particular: http://www.majortests.com/sat/wordlist.php

Now my question is, will it be enough? What else can I do to adequately prepare myself for the vocab section? Thing is, I have a lot of time to prepare myself, 2 years to be exact.

The grammar section also seems to be quite daunting..the options are so similar..anything I can do other than practice tons of questions?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Hi, yeah I HATED the Critical Reading section with a passion too. I took the SAT last November after an expensive preparation program and scored decently, but my CR score was a 670 which I wasn't happy with. This fall, I just did a few tests from my SAT book and really looked at where I made mistakes and the correct answers to those questions which I never used to do before. A lot of people, including me, seem to think that just doing test after test is the solution- yes it is, but you need to have proper review sessions as well, so give yourself time for that. For the vocab section, there is no way to be completely confident other than memorising words religiously. Do a few words everyday and with 2 years you have plenty of time. If you're not a big reader, then this will be challenging, so just learn some common SAT words and you'll be fine. Also, with passage analysis which tends to be the most difficult part of CR and of the SAT as a whole, the questions are usually similar and CAN be answered fairly easily with some practice. For example, a few common tips:

1. When faced with a set of options directly relating to the passage, such as "What has been clearly mentioned in the passage about Tom?", there will lots of tricky options which have been implied about Tom, but never actually stated. Never go for those and only pick an answer if you can find where it's mentioned in the passage.
    2. For those "What would the writer of this passage likely agree with?" type of vague, seemingly un-answerable questions, there will always be atleast two very extreme options such as "Her writing was terrible" or "Her writing was the best thing that he had ever come across". These are never the right option, 99 % of the time.

... and so on. I was supposed to study all summer and I didn't at all and only did a few tests and then got preoccupied with UCAS and everything and just did the SAT I again in December just for the heck of it, having been out of practice for about 3 months. I ended up with a 780 CR score, which just shocked me completely because I realised it was 'beatable' after all. If I could do it with so little effort, you can completely master it in 2 years. Good luck and PM me if you need any more advice

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, okay, I think I can do the stuff you guys said. But time is gonna be a problem for me cuz imma be in my first year of IB when I'm planning to do my SATs.

ReputationRep:
    CR = practicing. In all honesty, the passages are long and hard to get through while paying attention. My lit teacher always suggests that you separate the paragraphs and figure out their main idea by reading the first and last sentences. Then, go back as you get to the questions, which you should look at before reading/marking anything in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EcstaticMuse)
    CR = practicing. In all honesty, the passages are long and hard to get through while paying attention. My lit teacher always suggests that you separate the paragraphs and figure out their main idea by reading the first and last sentences. Then, go back as you get to the questions, which you should look at before reading/marking anything in the first place.
    At the risk of sounding snarky, if you find the SAT CR section passages difficult to read and concentrate on, you'll find degree level study phenomenally difficult.

OP, I'd suggest reading a decent newspaper or the Economist. Or some good essays--Atul Gawande is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    At the risk of sounding snarky, if you find the SAT CR section passages difficult to read and concentrate on, you'll find degree level study phenomenally difficult.

OP, I'd suggest reading a decent newspaper or the Economist. Or some good essays--Atul Gawande is good.
    I didn't mean difficult in the intellectual sense, more that they're not the most interesting excerpts of literature in the world. I had two comparative passages about the bolts on a telescope and which type of bolt was better. Didn't hold my attention well.

ReputationRep:
    The Economist is a nice place to start.

ReputationRep:
    No hard and fast rules to follow here. Its one of those things where you either have it or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Ok..the economist. Will look at that.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.com/30-Days-More-P.../dp/067174349X

Freshman year we had to do one of those chapters every monday. It actually works if you take it seriously.

Definitely helps with the SAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EcstaticMuse)
    I didn't mean difficult in the intellectual sense, more that they're not the most interesting excerpts of literature in the world. I had two comparative passages about the bolts on a telescope and which type of bolt was better. Didn't hold my attention well.
    Oh, fair dos. I had the same experience with the SAT and LSAT--half the passages were dull as dust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Oh, fair dos. I had the same experience with the SAT and LSAT--half the passages were dull as dust.
    They do it on purpose, I tell you. It's to keep us down.

ReputationRep:
    I remember one of the CR passages when I took the SAT was on some island in Africa (the island was never identified) and it was absurdly boring. The rest of the passages were interesting, through. Fortunately the response to literature section from my state's standardized test made me accustomed to reading bad literature.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you do get passages that interest you. I always did better on passages that had to do with science. They purposely include long, dreary passages to make you lose focus. Do not let this happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well at least everything is multiple choice.

ReputationRep:
    (my spelling sucks so if I mispell something please don't quote me and bold it and write some sassy comment! I realize I am a dumbass American)

study etemology's. like major roots and tones. you could study 1,00 SAT level words and odds are only a few would end up on the test. If you learn the roots you can use the context of the sentence plus what the roots mean to come to an answer. The rest is mostly just a skills test. One the writing section though, try to make sure you use facts from history and other works of literature. Anecdotes also work if you can't fins facts to incorporate.

These worked for me. I got a 760 on CR =) . . . but im majoring in comp sci so it doesn't matter and I suck at english. The SAT is more of a test on how to take a test, than a test of knowledge. Watch your time. Also on vocab and those writing correct the sentence things, they get progressivley harder so if time is a concern do like half of the vocab questions which should be guarenteed to be right and then do all the reading sections and come back to do the rest of vocab if time allows.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.