Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im getting really worried about my OCR as economics exam in Jan. Can someone help me on a few questions

1) How can regulations correct Market failure/ use of demerit goods

2) How can regulations actually encourage use of merit goods such as education e.g. make students go uni

There have been so many Price elasticity of demand and income elasticity of demand questions which they always ask " comment on the relevance of estimates to producers"... I know how to answer them but i think, this time there will be a "PRICE ELASTICITY OF SUPPLY/CROSS ELASTICITY OF USPPLY QUESTION"

3) COMMENT ON THE RELEVENCE OF ESTIMATES OF PRICE ELASTICITY OF SUPPLY TO PRODUCERS???

THANKS ALOT!

OOO ALSO WHAT DOES A REGULATION DIAGRAM EVEN LOOK LIKE?? DOES DEMAND SHIFT TO RIGHT/ SUPPLY LEFT?

ReputationRep:
    ive completely forgotten everything in the first unit sorry :confused: once you get a hang of all the diagrams its fine so dont worry too much

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

please... i reaaly need help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    How can regulations correct Market failure/ use of demerit goods.
    - it will cause a shift to the left because you could regulate against consumption or supply of the good/service. eg its regulation that all cigarettes have to have a teddy sold with them. eg this would increase the cost to firms and reduce supply. or you could regulate that only people above 50 could buy theme reducing demand. ( the only examples i could think of)

How can regulations actually encourage use of merit goods such as education e.g. make students go uni.
    - make it law that everyone has to go to university thus use of the good/service increases as demand rises.

COMMENT ON THE RELEVENCE OF ESTIMATES OF PRICE ELASTICITY OF SUPPLY TO PRODUCERS???
    this will help them to decide what levels of stocks to accumulate. eg if the PES is very elastic then they may not stock up as much when anticipating a change in the price because they can respond quickly.

ALSO WHAT DOES A REGULATION DIAGRAM EVEN LOOK LIKE?? DOES DEMAND SHIFT TO RIGHT/ SUPPLY LEFT?
    -And it depends on what the regulation is aiming to achieve. It could shift demand to the left or right. Generally though increases in regulation often increases costs of productions to firms and shifts supply to the left.

Dont shoot me if im wrong but i got an A last year and this is what springs to mind. read over your book again and ask your teacher. and also regulation/legislation ( i dont do politics so i assume they basically have the same effect. So i may be referring to one type but in the economics exam they dont care as long as they get the jift of what you mean regulation/legislation)

ReputationRep:
    3) also comment on the other side so how they are just estimates and not actual figures.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.