Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A chance to rant about idiotic sales shoppers Watch

ReputationRep:
    As title, a chance for anyone who works in retail to let off some steam and rant about the desperate customers they've come across.

I'm working 2-6 tonight and I have no doubt I'll have some stories of my own when I get back. I came across plenty of idiots when I worked Boxing Day...

ReputationRep:
    i don't actually work in retail, but out of interest, does it annoy you when people come to you with damaged clothes they've found and attempt to wangle discounts on them?

ReputationRep:
    we don't have a sale in the shop I work in because we don't get any seasonal stock in really. The look on people's faces when they ask you where the sale stuff is and you say No is unbelieveable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    i don't actually work in retail, but out of interest, does it annoy you when people come to you with damaged clothes they've found and attempt to wangle discounts on them?
    YESS especially wen its busy at the same time! Sale is for a reason to get rid of unwanted stuff be it damaged or watever!

ReputationRep:
    i'm working 3-7.

What gets me is when you're BLATANTLY right there, tidying up.

And this stupid *****, will pick something off the rack and then DROP it on the floor? I MEAN FFS I AM RIGHT HERE!!

The worst is the customers that ask "is men's upstairs" WELL YEAH, I MEAN THERE'S THE BIG SIGN IN RED LIGHT THAT SAYS "MENS".

****ing retards.

But the pay me to do this, so I don't complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    YESS especially wen its busy at the same time! Sale is for a reason to get rid of unwanted stuff be it damaged or watever!
    b-but....you can get it for cheaper

(new look is amazing for this...missing buttons and ripped hems all over the place!)

ReputationRep:
    I work in a charity shop and we currently have a sale.
    You'd think it would be nice and normal because it's a charity shop but nooo - a lady actually snatched something out of anothers hand because it was only 99p D: it was hideous too!
    I hate those customers that go "oh, theres a thread coming out of this, can i have 50p knocked off?" it's like, it's only a pound you tight git

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananabrain)
    we don't have a sale in the shop I work in because we don't get any seasonal stock in really. The look on people's faces when they ask you where the sale stuff is and you say No is unbelieveable.

LOL :rofl:

I get that too.
    "Excuse me, when do the Christmas cards go on sale?"
    "They don't."
    "Oh."

We send all our cards back to the suppliers and get full price back for them. Why would we sell them at a reduced price when we can get the full price from the suppliers?

ReputationRep:
    They're like a bunch of bloody amateurs. Stressing out at the lack of staff, when it's not your issue, coming to your department and getting annoyed when you can't answer a question for them or help them on another department. Complaining there are no tills, when "Please Pay Here" is signed up clearly and then moaning about queues. Grr, they do annoy me, most of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    yes! i work with food but people still do it with that too. i literally just remove it from sale if somebody does that to me, 'oh its damaged? thanks for pointing that out, i'll just remove it from sale now. have a nice day.' ahaaa. we don't sell damaged stuff for discount prices cos otherwise people will just damage it themselves.

we also send all the christmas stuff back to the supplier, does not make us popular when the wrapping paper etc doesnt go on sale love life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    LOL :rofl:

I get that too.
    "Excuse me, when do the Christmas cards go on sale?"
    "They don't."
    "Oh."

We send all our cards back to the suppliers and get full price back for them. Why would we sell them at a reduced price when we can get the full price from the suppliers?
    What's the point in selling them back to the suppliers, when you're only going to buy them back again for next Christmas?

Not being funny, just curious:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    yes! i work with food but people still do it with that too. i literally just remove it from sale if somebody does that to me, 'oh its damaged? thanks for pointing that out, i'll just remove it from sale now. have a nice day.' ahaaa. we don't sell damaged stuff for discount prices cos otherwise people will just damage it themselves.

we also send all the christmas stuff back to the supplier, does not make us popular when the wrapping paper etc doesnt go on sale love life!
    yeahh, i must say, that has occurred to me a couple of times (plus i think i saw a film or something, where in one scene someone throws a tin to the ground and then attempts to get a discount on it because it's dented)
    but what do you do with it once you take it off sale?

Oooo sales lol - some people really do get stupid over sales.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Yawn11)
      i'm working 3-7.

What gets me is when you're BLATANTLY right there, tidying up.

And this stupid *****, will pick something off the rack and then DROP it on the floor? I MEAN FFS I AM RIGHT HERE!!

The worst is the customers that ask "is men's upstairs" WELL YEAH, I MEAN THERE'S THE BIG SIGN IN RED LIGHT THAT SAYS "MENS".

****ing retards.

But the pay me to do this, so I don't complain.
      LMAO.

When I used to work for River Island, I was moved from menswear to womens and had to tidy the sales shoes rack thing.. you would have thought there was money hidden in them or something. This woman pretty much attacked the shoes whilst I was picking up the ones on the floor and they all fell on my head :laugh: It's kind of funny now but I was fuming at the time (it actually did hurt)!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SuperStarr1)
      LMAO.

When I used to work for River Island
      That's who i'm working for atm...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Crazy Paving)
      They're like a bunch of bloody amateurs.
      I didn't know Alan Sugar was on TSR!

I went to Topshop on Boxing Day and some crazy byatch literally snatched a dress out of my hand as I was looking to see what size it was. I'm skinny and she was huge so it was only going to fit one of us anyway!

ReputationRep:
      I hate tidying up. thats the worst part of the job for me. we have an hour to tidy after the shop closes and its like a zoo has escaped into the shop when you look around at how much there is to tidy. if we don't finish tidying we have to stay later which is annoying when we finish at half ten sometimes at night. we try to tidy as the day goes on and its so annoying when you've spent so long tidying a pile of clothing and someone comes along and in one minute pulls something out from the bottom of the pile and the whole pile topples over. people act like animals sometimes when they see a sale sign. though I admit I'm like that when I am shopping in a sale.

I love working the tills though on a crazy day when its really busy. I love the thrill of it and time always flies past and before you know it, the shift's over.

ReputationRep:
      I'd always get people coming in after Christmas asking me when our products went on sale. I worked in Greggs, ffs. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      I dont work in retail but Yday I went shopping with my gf in glasgow and she bought an ipod docking quite a big one. So I was walking through the city centre with a big box and some people refused to move out the way for me. You think because IM carrying a big heavy box which I can just see over people would move out the way. But not old women who look like 40-55ish they just walk right through you or force me to try sqeeze through wee gaps

ReputationRep:
      I dont work in shops, but I genuinely find it stupid when i see someone look at stuff and they drop stuff, it just baffles me why they would just walk away and not pick it up.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.