Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay need help with last uni choice for Psychology Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I am struggling with my last choice. Let me fill you in on the progress so far. My UCAS application (I am a mature student age 22, doing A-levels at Hull college) has been sent off. I have applied for psychology at :

Hull (BBC)
    York (ABB/AAB)
    York St John (220-260 UCAS points, so say CCC)
    Hull- Psych w/Sociology (BBC)
    Hull- Psych w/Criminology (BBC)

Now my question is should i change one of the Hull "with" choices to either Manchester (ABB/AAB) or Sheffield (AAB) ?

I am wary of doing this because my predicted grades are BBB although with resits in January i could bump two of the B's to A's. I guess i was looking for confirmation from you guys that mature students are assessed on eligibility for the course, on their own merit? Rather than being grouped into the same selection process as "normal" students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    Hey guys I am struggling with my last choice. Let me fill you in on the progress so far. My UCAS application (I am a mature student age 22, doing A-levels at Hull college) has been sent off. I have applied for psychology at :

Hull (BBC)
    York (ABB/AAB)
    York St John (220-260 UCAS points, so say CCC)
    Hull- Psych w/Sociology (BBC)
    Hull- Psych w/Criminology (BBC)

Now my question is should i change one of the Hull "with" choices to either Manchester (ABB/AAB) or Sheffield (AAB) ?

I am wary of doing this because my predicted grades are BBB although with resits in January i could bump two of the B's to A's. I guess i was looking for confirmation from you guys that mature students are assessed on eligibility for the course, on their own merit? Rather than being grouped into the same selection process as "normal" students?
    Hi anfieldred07
    my advice would to pick Sheffield over Manchester even though both are individual highly reputable universities in their own right and have good psychology departments.I think for A level Applicants you pick universities choices where you have the best chance of satisfying the offers once you get them.
    Mature students are assessed on their ability to cope with the demands of the degree they want to pursue they are also assessed on other things as well.Its sometimes not just academic ability but a wide range of things come into the equation.So anfieldred07 as you already said in your post you think you could improve your grades from a B to A then apply to those universities where u think you stand the best chance of meeting the offer conditions but before u do make your final decision once you have recieve the offers go to a few open days as you be spending a few years there.
    I do realise all this will be sometime off but my recomodation would be this,do your own individual research on every single university you chosen so far not just the reputation of the Psychology department themselves but also the type of degree u applied for etc
    hope this advice helps you

ReputationRep:
    Just to confirm you've applied to Hull 3 times?

Now it may be different for Hull, but some of the unis i applied to (believe Aston was one of them) recommended that you only need apply for 1 course within a department, you then have the option of switching courses (within reason) if you feel there is something you will be better suited to. If you've applied 3 times to Hull it may be worth asking them what their policy on this is.

Depending on your preference of uni and city, i.e. do you actually prefer Manchester/Sheffield over Hull and you've applied to Hull because they have lower entry requirements or do you actually want to go to Hull?

If it is Hull that you wish to attend then I would say stick with what you've got. Give yourself optimum chance of getting in there. However if you've applied there because of the entry requirements then i would say drop one of the 'psychology with' If you do manage to get an offer from a uni wanting AAB then thats often enough to push you into trying that little bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_v)
    Just to confirm you've applied to Hull 3 times?

Now it may be different for Hull, but some of the unis i applied to (believe Aston was one of them) recommended that you only need apply for 1 course within a department, you then have the option of switching courses (within reason) if you feel there is something you will be better suited to. If you've applied 3 times to Hull it may be worth asking them what their policy on this is.

Depending on your preference of uni and city, i.e. do you actually prefer Manchester/Sheffield over Hull and you've applied to Hull because they have lower entry requirements or do you actually want to go to Hull?

If it is Hull that you wish to attend then I would say stick with what you've got. Give yourself optimum chance of getting in there. However if you've applied there because of the entry requirements then i would say drop one of the 'psychology with' If you do manage to get an offer from a uni wanting AAB then thats often enough to push you into trying that little bit harder.
    Yes three choice are Hull mainly because i am from Hull and really want to study there. I'm not sure if I'm limiting my options though and maybe should apply to either Manchester of Sheffield (which were other considerations before my York choice). The requirements (and my predicted grades) are what made me decide against applying to either of them (York is just a long shot/hope) but now I'm starting to think i may have sold myself short. I have a week to still change a choice, I am just trying to weigh up if its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I understand your point in that i believe youre likely to get either 3 rejections or 3 conditional offers from Hull. I would find it quite strange that you would receive an offer for Psychology with Sociology but not an offer for Psychology with Criminology as I imagine that each university is looking for certain type of student, if you tick the boxes for one course, you more that likely will for the other course there as well. This is just an opinion though, im not entirely sure on the statistics of this.

In your position I think i would swap one, just to give a bit more range to which you are applying.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    Yes three choice are Hull mainly because i am from Hull and really want to study there. I'm not sure if I'm limiting my options though and maybe should apply to either Manchester of Sheffield (which were other considerations before my York choice). The requirements (and my predicted grades) are what made me decide against applying to either of them (York is just a long shot/hope) but now I'm starting to think i may have sold myself short. I have a week to still change a choice, I am just trying to weigh up if its worth it.

at the end of the day anfieldred07 only you can make that decision.we can only advise you on this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.