The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6160
Original post by Billa Bong
i think we could have won it if VP was still on pitch...we def. would have got more chances and VP was more likely to finish one of em off...but oh well now back to premier league and a matter of FA cup against manure (which i think we are gonna be lethargic in cos of this game)

Even in the 55 minutes he was on the pitch you had 0 shots...
I said it before the game, you can't go to the Nou Camp and park the bus, with the team Barca have they will always score at least once. Despite the RvP sending off at most times you had ten or eleven players behind the ball, the only thing that happened was when RvP got sent off was you lost your only outlet, and it just led to the ball going straight towards your defence more often. Credit to Almunia and Djourou it could've been a lot worse without them, Djourou was on an absolute mission jumping in front of everything and Almunia needs no explanation.

Overall though you did get outplayed, badly. Arsene's choice to defend, defend and defend some more was silly in all fairness.

Said it after your cup defeat, you need to buy some new players, I said then you needed at least one better striker due to RvP's injury proneness and I also said you needed one or two top class defenders, and a GK. Although you can't fault them today, even if you had the best defence in the world I don't think you could've stopped the first and second goal and not conceded the penalty.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Zayne101

Original post by Zayne101
I love how arsenal fans are trying to say they were robbed, LOL - YOU WERE OUTCLASSED! look at the F*cking stats and what's interesting is barcelona were poor for their standards tonight, barcelona didn't send off RVP - the ref did and to be honest RVP was looking for all trouble all night, not agreeing it was a red but even if he wasn't sent off, you'd still be beaten :smile:

don't worry there's always next years secound round stage for you guys next year, you've got an FA cup tie to look forward to against a very angry manc side.

yes, because playing with 11 men is worse than playing with 10 men? :lolwut:
You're in an exam, the invigilator does not warn you "10 mins/5 mins remaining", and suddenly shouts "STOP!". You look up thinking "huh?" and then put down your pen. Because you did not put down your pen at the exact moment that the invigilator shouted, you are disqualified from the exam...

...such is the red card shown to Robin van Persie
Reply 6164
Bendtner! SHOOT FIRST TIME! -.-

Well done Barca, best team won today, Barca are definitely beatable though. Referee was a right c*nt to both sides, i can only see positives taken from this loss. Bring on Utd.
I think its fair to say every agrees it was a very harsh red, but this sums up Barca's total domination.
OptaJoe
1 - Barcelona attempted more shots on their own goal than Arsenal managed themselves (0) in this match. Exit.
Hopes Wenger punches that **** of a ref!
Reply 6167
0 shots on target.
0 shots off target.
Original post by natty_d
yes, because playing with 11 men is worse than playing with 10 men? :lolwut:

did you not have more shots with 10 than you did with 11 :lolwut:
Reply 6169
Original post by Troubled_Student
I said it before the game, you can't go to the Nou Camp and park the bus, with the team Barca have they will always score at least once. Despite the RvP sending off at most times you had ten or eleven players behind the ball, the only thing that happened was when RvP got sent off was you lost your only outlet, and it just led to the ball going straight towards your defence more often. Credit to Almunia and Djourou it could've been a lot worse without them, Djourou was on an absolute mission jumping in front of everything and Almunia needs no explanation.

Overall though you did get outplayed, badly. Arsene's choice to defend, defend and defend some more was silly in all fairness.

Said it after your cup defeat, you need to buy some new players, I said then you needed at least one better striker due to RvP's injury proneness and I also said you needed one or two top class defenders, and a GK. Although you can't fault them today, even if you had the best defence in the world I don't think you could've stopped the first and second goal and not conceded the penalty.

Inter were pretty succesful at it.
Proud of the Players. Well done Arsenal!!!

Also, special congrats to Almunia who had a phenomenal game when he came on.
Messi was fouled in the area - penalty should have been awarded.

Not sure VP should have been sent off. Surely Kozielney should have been given a second yellow for his foul leading to the penalty? Complete lack of consistency, at the very least.

Barca were awesome and in this form, they'll rape anyone in front of them.#

Djorou was outstanding and Wilshere, well, I'm so glad he's English.

Just to think Arsenal could have won the tie had Bendtner hit the ball first time 2-3minutes from the end. Not good enough.
Original post by milkytea
Look man I agree with all that. I'm just sayin that after the goal, with 11 men on the pitch we would have given Barca a lot to do, a real lot. 10 men significantly less so. The team knew from then that they had a colossal task from then on and Barca's doubt was eliminated. RVP could have binned that chance like you said and possibly created more.

We can't underestimate the damage that red card did tonight. Barca dominated but we could possibly have resisted without that dubious decision.

You're probably right in that, there was all of 5 minutes between the equaliser and the red card. But if anything we created more chances (by which I mean one) with vPersie off the field. Ironically RvP had a much better chance of finishing that one oppurtunity off.. Ultimately the problem was that when we did close the ball down we then lost it too quickly again. Spending all night frantically chasing shadows meant we had no composure in possession.

Que Sera Sera, ultimately Barca definitely deserved to go through. We were spirited and can't really ask for more. Absolutely disappointed we're out, but no surprise given the draw.
Reply 6173
JK.
OP
I genuinely predicted we'd score without a having a shot on target. :rofl2:

Ah well, disappointing outcome but a fair one, I think. They might have some classless *****, not that any club doesn't, but this Barca side have to be the best club side in history. No shame in going out like that.

RvP's asking for trouble there. Was rather hoping he'd do a Drogba and throw in a '****ing disgrace', though.
Reply 6174
Pretty terrible performance when we had the ball. Defended brilliantly. Better team won. Sending off did affect the match, we can't comment on the out come. Joke of a sending off though. Ref was pretty terrible for everyone. Bendy, shoot you tool :colonhash:

Almunia, Koscielny, Djourou, Wilshere and Nasri :hat2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6175
I think Arsenal can take heart from these two games. The referee undoubtedly made the wrong call to send RVP off but I felt Barcelona still would progress even with Arsenal's 11 men. Scoring 3 against Barca over two legs is not an easy thing to do and Arsenal are more sturdy than last season so despite the result big steps have been taken. I suppose its easy to be gracious in victory but I genuinely feel Arsenal deserve more credit than the barrages that are thrown at them, it's pathetic tbh. Good luck in the league, hope you win it :yes:
Original post by -Matty-
Inter were pretty succesful at it.

Better defenders, A Defensive minded coach, worse Barca team.

Messi is better, Pedro is better, and David Villa is far better than Ibra.
We played very poorly. Fabregas was rubbish in all honesty and Diaby and Rosicky didn't help him. I can't remember Arsenal stringing more than 5 passes together and I can't remember a single shot at their goal (on or off target).

We deserved to concede a lot more but we didn't and if RVP had been on then he might have done better.

We have to remember though that if we wished for a better referee then Koscielny would have had a red card and they would have at least one other penalty.
Reply 6178
Original post by queenjaneapproximately
You're in an exam, the invigilator does not warn you "10 mins/5 mins remaining", and suddenly shouts "STOP!". You look up thinking "huh?" and then put down your pen. Because you did not put down your pen at the exact moment that the invigilator shouted, you are disqualified from the exam...

...such is the red card shown to Robin van Persie

According to the commentator, the ref blew the whistle 2 seconds before the shoot :facepalm2:. I didn't even hear the whistle to be honest.
Original post by RNBen
Even in the 55 minutes he was on the pitch you had 0 shots...

yeah but we had that chance in the end remember which could have won it for us (and mind you barca might not have scored 2 more if we had 11 players)
Nicklas Bendtner had the chance to silence every single Arsenal fan who says he 'isn't good enough' but he just proved it; HE ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH :mad:

Latest