The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6860
Original post by rhinger

He didn't get to do much since he only came on in the 70th odd minute. There wasn't much cohesiveness in the midfield anyway, imo he didn't have much to work with. He made a good forward run at one point but no one followed up.

Thanks. What about physically? Did he look sharp/off?
What's everyone feeling towards Arsene Wenger? Is he the man to continue or does Arsenal FC need to start again fresh with a new manager? If a new manager is required, who would you like to see come in and takeover.

Is it any of the players fault for the recent failure, do some of the players need to be sold?

Just looking to get a few views from the Arsenal fans :smile: cheers
Reply 6862
I dont think you should get rid of Wenger, your team is so adapted to him, the players love him and he has made miracles out of pretty much nothing, I doubt Fabregas would stay if Wenger went. He is so stubborn though, I thought SAF was stubborn.. but 6 years and still no real change in how he operates is definitely stubborn.

Obviously injuries doesn't help but it's not like this is the first season where you've had to make do without key players due to injury, your second string XI should know the score by now, they show no real urgency or desire to get into the first team with a great performance - When Diaby or Denilson or Rosicky, Bendtner etc play in place of x, they seem happy to just take that role for that game, instead of making a claim to start the next match even if x is fit. Far too complacent.

Where as our second string, the likes of O'Shea, Brown, Smalling, Gibson, Park etc when given their chance will play hard, no matter the occasion because they don't know when they will next get a chance at playing.

I might be too critical but it seems as though Wenger has his first XI in mind, and he regards them highly, and anyone outside of that would need almost a miracle to break into it. I'm sure that even if the likes of Rosicky and Denilson played well and won the match for you, if the person they had filled in for was fit again, they wouldn't make the team lol. That's gotta be a confidence breaker there, there's almost no real incentive to play well for them.
Any thoughts on that? I mean our squad was basically made up of second string players, and our worst player was actually a part of the first XI (Evra) lol so I was looking for similarities between ours and yours.
Reply 6863
Original post by rhinger

We were not outplayed and were just unlucky with our finishing. If Wenger goes, then the amount of players which will likely to leave will be more you imagine. If Arsenal were still at Highbury then imagine the money we could still have in investing into foreign players but we don't, so Wenger has done incredible well to sustain our challenge as a top 4 club in England and progressing far into the UCL.

Yes, he has bought some players for £X million pounds but remember most of that money has came from the sale of the older players (Henry, Viera, Pires,etc..), so we haven't actually needed to win trophies to gain millions of money.
I do agree with you in saying that Diaby, Denilson, Rosicky needs to leave in the summer and hopefully buy other more productive players from the money we get. But for now, we need to stick by those players and support them instead of criticising them because we have plenty of injuries in key areas and unfortunately Wenger doesn't have any other more experienced players other than them.

I also can't understand the unfair criticising that has been pouring on Chamakh. He was brilliant in the first half of the season but he did drop his standards from Nov-Feb and that is not to say he was playing poorly but because he got tired which he admittedly said himself. Therefore, RVP came into his place and did well upto now when he got his injuries and so Wenger came back to Chamakh during some of the matches. However, it is normal for a player who hasn't been playing for 2 months or so to play poorly, lack of control and lack of finishing.

Anyway we still have the league to go for, which I believe it's in our hands.
Some of you really need to learn the difference between being 'delusional' and being 100% behind the club, some of the posts are simply pathetic.
Bleh
Reply 6866
You can still win the league!
Original post by jit987

Anyway we still have the league to go for, which I believe it's in our hands.

With a back 3 of Squillaci, Kos and Almunia?

Honestly do think it's time for Wenger to go IF we win nothing the season and he refuses to buy anyone.

Having said that he did say that if this team failed in two years (09/10 and this season) it would be a failure, so maybe he'll change something and realise he has to invest in this team? It's so close to being unbeatable but with our squad depth so far.

He has to have another look at his tactics and policy. Without Cesc we are so average it's shocking and he's got to realise that when your squad is that poor you can't expect them to play the same football as an immense first XI.

The only reason I don't want him to leave is that players will leave (although most will stay and it'll allow a new manager to change things) and more importantly there's no manager I'd want to replace him.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Some of you really need to learn the difference between being 'delusional' and being 100% behind the club, some of the posts are simply pathetic.

You can be both.
Original post by IWannaBeYourBF
You can be both.

You can, but the former term is being thrown about far too easily in here.
I'm worried if Wenger left there might be a lot of players that would also rather start fresh somewhere else :/ I just don't know what they need to do win, it's so ****ing frustrating. Maybe they just need to learn to finish?
Reply 6871
I think we need to players who have been there, done that! Meaning they have won a trophy before, like Tevez for example (Though to think he will come to Arsenal is crazy!). We need a centre back- its ridiculous how are defenders are getting injured always and squillaci is useless. We also need a keeper and a striker!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by haz864
I think we need to players who have been there, done that! Meaning they have won before. We need a centre back- its ridiculous how are defenders are getting injured always and squillaci is useless. We also need a keeper and striker!

We need a better striker than Bendtner and a better CB than Squillaci, but there is no doubting that Szczesny is a massively talented goalkeeper and it would be hugely detrimental to his progress to buy another.

The 'blunder' in the CC final was collective between him and Kos and down to communication rather than any lack of ability.
Reply 6873
The problem with buying new players is that they need to get customed to how Arsenal play and this could take time and this could be why Wenger doesn't want to invest.
Original post by rhinger
I do thank you for the very logical, technical reply there. :h:

No, really, give me a few reasons, apart from financial stability, why Wenger should continue managing Arsenal. I'm really interested.

Typical Wenger-boy really, blindly supports him and gives no reasons for a poor performance. I'd expect it from a "supporter" like you :ahee:

Also, don't be a pussy like marcusmherehay, I won't bite you too hard. Quote me, bitch.
You're a mediocre, pathetic WUM. I've been around long enough to know exactly how this will go, and have no intention of allowing you - a worthless little person - to leech away my precious time.

You are deluded, you do not understand football and you do not have a clue about Arsenal.

Don't bother replying. I cease to acknowledge your existence.
Original post by jit987
The problem with buying new players is that they need to get customed to how Arsenal play and this could take time and this could be why Wenger doesn't want to invest.

Exactly - we all saw how long it took Koscielny to settle in and we're really starting to reap the benefit now - highly accomplished on the ball, very calm in defence and willing to run with the ball out from the back.

I've been very impressed with him lately.
Reply 6876
We need a better striker than Bendtner and a better CB than Squillaci, but there is no doubting that Szczesny is a massively talented goalkeeper and it would be hugely detrimental to his progress to buy another.

The 'blunder' in the CC final was collective between him and Kos and down to communication rather than any lack of ability.

I agree about Szczesny he can become a top draw goal keeper, but even though he is confident, I feel like he is a bit too young. I think we need some one, honestly, some one who has been playing in this league for the last few seasons, like Pepe Reina. Though I'm not a goalkeeper expert, I am pretty sure Szczesny still needs to develop! And we have to win something, we can't wait.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by haz864
I agree about Szczesny he can become a top draw goal keeper, but even though he is confident, I feel like he is a bit too young. I think we need some one, honestly, some one who has been playing in this league for the last few seasons, like Pepe Reina. Though I'm not a goalkeeper expert, I am pretty sure Szczesny still needs to develop! And we have to win something, we can't wait.

Too young? I'd have to say look at Joe Hart as a shining example of what having faith in a young keeper does for you.

Other current quality young keepers (who made early debuts) are Akinfeev, Neuer, Romero and Asenjo.
Reply 6878
Exactly - we all saw how long it took Koscielny to settle in and we're really starting to reap the benefit now - highly accomplished on the ball, very calm in defence and willing to run with the ball out from the back.

I've been very impressed with him lately.

Only Vermaelen was a perfect defender for Arsenal, both in terms of goals and more importantly very solid at the back.
Original post by jit987
Only Vermaelen was a perfect defender for Arsenal, both in terms of goals and more importantly very solid at the back.

And considering how admirably we've played as a team without him, I'm really struggling to see what all the fuss people are making is about.

Of the three competitions we've gone out of this fortnight, we were only favourites for ONE fixture - I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

In Wenger we trust.

Latest