The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T.Adams VI
Almunia, Fabianski, Squillaci, Eboue, Denilson, Diaby and Bendtner.

Simply not good enough.

Fabianski? :rolleyes:

Bendtner is a good squad player it's not his fault he has to play on the right where in fairness he still does a good job.
Original post by GunnerMT
I knew Miguel should have started.

Squillaci - Worst Arsenal buy ever?

No Jeffers was. But Squillaci is up there.
Original post by GunnerMT
Squillaci - Worst Arsenal buy ever?

He was a bundle right at the end of August, iirc? There weren't many options so cheap at that stage to be fair. I don't think anyone realised how bad he would be though, considering his pedigree.
Reply 7403
JK.
OP
Original post by Abiraleft
We do have a decent keeper - Fabianski. I think Arsenal's luck with injuries has simply reached a new low: where else do you have three out of four senior keepers out at once?

Is he good enough though? I'm not sure. I'm also not sure he's the kind of keeper that'll be happy to play second choice, Szcz is younger than him and clearly preferred, I can see him leaving given the opportunity. Not seen too much of Mannone this season, anyone know how he's getting on?

Is it just a matter of luck? There comes a point when you have to question whether we're just constantly unlucky with injuries or whether there is something seriously wrong with the way our players are conditioned.
Reply 7404
The squad needs reinforcements with two quality players in each position the likes of Denilson and Bendtner are woeful.
Original post by MoMatrix
Eboue is more than decent cover for Sagna he has much more attacking threat.

We need RELIABLE backups like Ray Parlour, not erratic wing backs.

Ray Parlour was only a backup at the end of his career; he was first choice in the 97/98 double-winning team IIRC.
Original post by Louis.
:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:

This is wonderful. There was a time when everything Rob said here was treated as gospel, it's great he has been found out :congrats:

No doubt he'll leave again now because no one likes him anymore :console:

Anyway, expected your result today and i'm not going to do my usual *****sh act. You're still in it, just about, but we're pretty sizable favourites now i'd say. Chelsea win tomorrow and they're 4 behind you...

The crap that Rob spouts was never treated as gospel. He just had a couple of lap-dogs like Hubert Poo who used to hang off his knob.

The rest of us know he talks rubbish. Season after season it has been proven.
Reply 7408

Eboue is a decent right back who can take on a man though he is lacking in confidence sometimes.
Bob Wilson would do a better job in goal than any of your current keepers. :rofl2:
Reply 7410
JK.
OP
We really need to get a decent DM in. I was cautious when people questioned doing so as they were suggesting it for the wrong reason (replacing Song), but looking at it now, we not only desperately need extra cover in the position (especially considering the switch from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1) but the cover such a player could provide around the field - across the defence and potentially the linking player in midfield, is definitely needed.
Reply 7411
Original post by TommyWannabe
The crap that Rob spouts was never treated as gospel. He just had a couple of lap-dogs like Hubert Poo who used to hang off his knob.

The rest of us know he talks rubbish. Season after season it has been proven.

The sensible sceptics were always in the minority tbh :moon:
Original post by alex_hk90
Ray Parlour was only a backup at the end of his career; he was first choice in the 97/98 double-winning team IIRC.

Yes but when he was a backup he was solid. I'd rather have experienced backups, than fringe players who don't know how to do a job.
Reply 7413
JK.
OP
Yes but when he was a backup he was solid. I'd rather have experienced backups, than fringe players who don't know how to do a job.

I think that's a real problem - the back ups should be a mixture of experienced but past their peak players and youngsters coming through, what we've got is just a bunch of youngsters. And Rosicky.
Reply 7414
I don't.

Arsenal fans are so quick to forget how **** certain players. Wait till Eboue gets a run in the side, that should remind a few players how crap he is. We've suffered this same problem with Almunia for 6 years.

I wouldnt say hes good enough for our first team, but surely hes better than the likes of diaby, denilson, rosicky, bentner, in the sense that he gives it his all. He doesnt jog back and give the ball away needlessly like the rest of the above players mentioned.

Eboue cares, and i cant say the same for the likes of diaby or denilson, etc.
Original post by JK.
I think that's a real problem - the back ups should be a mixture of experienced but past their peak players and youngsters coming through, what we've got is just a bunch of youngsters. And Rosicky.

Agree.

Rosicky basically acts like a kid as well.

A bit like United, they have players like Scholes/Giggs/O'Shea mixed up with Smalling/Evans/Hernandez/Fabio. Then they got the likes of Anderson/Brown/Park who can do a job when needed.

We have donuts like Denilson/Diaby. That's the difference.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7416
Original post by JK.
Is he good enough though? I'm not sure. I'm also not sure he's the kind of keeper that'll be happy to play second choice, Szcz is younger than him and clearly preferred, I can see him leaving given the opportunity. Not seen too much of Mannone this season, anyone know how he's getting on?

Is it just a matter of luck? There comes a point when you have to question whether we're just constantly unlucky with injuries or whether there is something seriously wrong with the way our players are conditioned.

For backup? I'd say so. With regard to whether he'd be content with being second choice, I'm not so sure; Mannone almost certainly won't - he was whining about not being first choice last season. If Fabianski is willing to stay, however, I'd be willing to have him as a backup keeper.

Well, it's impossible to say, really, isn't it? The fact that Arsenal are a top level team means they should know something about a matter as elementary as player fitness; that coupled with the fact that Wenger famously sorted out the fitness of the side with diets and whatnot when he took over makes it difficult to accept that our injury crises happen because the management is clueless. Then again, as you point out, it really would have to be astonishingly bad luck for all of our injury problems to be attributed to only luck.
Original post by Louis.
:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:

This is wonderful. There was a time when everything Rob said here was treated as gospel, it's great he has been found out :congrats:

No doubt he'll leave again now because no one likes him anymore :console:

Anyway, expected your result today and i'm not going to do my usual *****sh act. You're still in it, just about, but we're pretty sizable favourites now i'd say. Chelsea win tomorrow and they're 4 behind you...

He is good for the entertainment, but he doesn't understand when where actually being serious about the team.

The likes of Barcelona have clearly shown us we're not as good as a lot of people seem to think (on the ball that is).
Arsenal still have a decent chance, if you beat United, Spurs and Liverpool then it'll be very close. Although the team does continue to be disappointed by some players.
Reply 7419
JK.
OP
Eboue is ****. He only turns up for the big games (I thought he was good at home to Barca) and treats smaller teams as if they'll be easy wins, as he only really plays against the smaller sides that's no good. Wrt jogging back/giving the ball away he may not be at the same level as Denilson for jogging back but his constant advances mean he is regularly caught out of position anyway. He has about 2 skills but uses them over and over again to try and trick defenders, he's quickly found out and so whilst he doesn't give the ball away all that often from misplaced passes, he's often caught in possession which leaves us susceptible to counter attacks. I used to praise his crossing, especially in comparison to Sagna's but even that seems to have gone to pieces a bit since the start of the season whereas Sagna has significantly improved his deliveries. Perhaps I'm being harsh as the player we have to compare him against in the squad is one of the best in his position in the league, but I really don't think Eboue is good enough as back up any more - like I say, if we could bring in a versatile DM that could cover fullbacks I'd be very keen to do so.

Latest