The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Goalkeeping isn't really our biggest issue now. Szczesny, Fabianski and Mannone are competent enough, hopefully Szczesny is our number 1 now though. We need a centre back, defensive midfielder and a top striker more urgently.
Reply 7521
JK.
OP
Szczesny is good enough to be our number 1, everyone seemed to agree and share this view 2 weeks ago but since he's got injured all of a sudden we need to spend £20m+ on a big name? Senseless. Szcz has the potential to be one of the best keepers around and that's not in the same sense as Diaby/Denilson had potential a few years back, he's shown his quality for a continued period already but due to his age and overall level of experience there's definitely reason to think he'll continue to get better and could potentially sort out our goal keeping situation for years. I have to agree with the last guy - if the money is there to spend, we need to prioritise and sort out other positions first. When the first XI are all fit we have an incredible side, but even a few injuries causes a massive disruption, we need to get rid of the ****e in the second string and get a few decent squad players in.
Reply 7522
Out

Denilson- £10m
Diaby- £10m
Squillaci- £500k
Vela- £10m
Bendtner (assuming he won't sit on the bench) - £15m
Eboue- £8m

£53.5m to spend.

In

Striker-£20-25m
Holding mid- £10m
Defender- £10-15m

Realistic?
We don't need a new goalkeeper, shezny is quality. Our problem is not with youth, I must stress that. Players like Wilshere/Smalling show us that young players can be more than competent in this league.

Instead of just spending, we need to focus on the mentality of our players. We need to be tighter, and much more disciplined.
Original post by Pete_Lawton
As has been said countless times before, suggest a feasible replacement.

Capello. He's one of the great club managers in the world.
Original post by QUWERTY
Out

Denilson- £10m
Diaby- £10m
Squillaci- £500k
Vela- £10m
Eboue- £8m

£53.5m to spend.

In

Striker-£20-25m
Holding mid- £10m
Defender- £10-15m

Realistic?

I don't think we need a holding midfielder as Song does that job well. We definitely need a CB but I don't think we need to spend so much on a striker.
Reply 7526
Eboue's a legend.

Reply 7527
Original post by Tizmo
Eboue's a legend.

These are exactly the videos I show my friends, when I tell them Eboue is a legend. Also, if you haven't seen it, watch his Eboue vs Korea video.
Reply 7528
The fake/forced Eboue 'love' still sickens me tbh.
Reply 7530
JK.
OP
Original post by Mess.
The fake/forced Eboue 'love' still sickens me tbh.

I think a lot of it isn't fake - most of us love him as a character, it does wind me up when people let this cloud their judgement of him as a player, though. :sadnod:
Reply 7531
Original post by QUWERTY
Out

Denilson- £10m
Diaby- £10m
Squillaci- £500k
Vela- £10m
Eboue- £8m

£53.5m to spend.

In

Striker-£20-25m
Holding mid- £10m
Defender- £10-15m

Realistic?

£15m for Bendtner :eek: Is it £5m for each goal against the mighty Leyton orient?
He's perhaps suited to a Newcastle - idolised merely for putting on the colours.
We do need a holding midfielder. I would attribute a lot of our recent poor results to Song's poor form followed by his injury. We have no backup and Song has no competition. This is a problem imho as neither Denilson nor Diaby are competent as DM. It is a shame that Frimpong is long term injured.
Reply 7533
Just don't understand how you lot think you don't need a top class keeper.

You don't win the title without one, and it'd be worth sacrificing Schzwhatshisnames development to actually win the thing.
I don't think Arsenal need a keeper, few clubs in the Prem have better keepers. He will make a few mistakes, but the return you will get is 10+ years of no worries in goal, much like Real have and City will have.

Arsenal need a CB, Squillaci has no potential and is a liability whenever he plays. Just get rid and find another young (not a child) CB with potential.

The biggest thing for Arsenal would be a striker. RVP is amazing when he is fit, but he is not reliable. You need another striker capable of banging in ~15 goals a season. I thought that might be Chamakh but apparently not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by QUWERTY
Out

Denilson- £10m
Diaby- £10m
Squillaci- £500k
Vela- £10m
Eboue- £8m

£53.5m to spend.

In

Striker-£20-25m
Holding mid- £10m
Defender- £10-15m

Realistic?

Those valuations are a joke tbh. halve those prices and you'd probably get closer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Isometrix
Those valuations are a joke tbh. half those prices and you'd probably get closer.

A joke? Definitely yes. Doesn't mean it isn't true though..

We are in a financial climate where Carrol is worth £35mill ffs :colonhash:

Many European teams (not necessarily CL quality) would love to have players like Diaby and Denilson, especially when you take into consideration their technical ability and their age. Also, Bendtner could easily go for £15mill, he may be rubbish right now at Arsenal but giving him the chance to shine week in-week out and he could easily score 15-20 goals a season.
Reply 7537
I like and love ARSENAL ....
although in the league champions lost some time ago, did not lose my love for the same club on this one
let's go ahead ARSENAL
Who thinks Manure will drop a few points ? I can see Chelski at least getting a draw.
Original post by G550NDH
Who thinks Manure will drop a few points ? I can see Chelski at least getting a draw.
As a United fan I think we will drop points between now and the end of the season. That in itself doesn't mean anything, the interesting thing will be to see if Arsenal make the most of that, because so far they haven't.

Latest