Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jessie J - why the big hype about her? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I keep hearing Jessie J being played on the radio and don't understand what the big hype about this girl is? :confused: heard her song do it like a dude and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. maybe I am missing something here, but her song is nothing special, is meaningless and pointless and she seems like a copy of lady gaga, ke$ha and katy perry. she is hardly unique or original in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOf3kYtwASo

Why is she being hailed as the 'one to watch out for' in 2011?

thanks x

EDIT: I started this thread way back in December before she released her debut album and I didn't really know much about her. Since then I've heard a lot more of her and have become a fan of her music after seeing videos of her singing live on youtube!

ReputationRep:
    She's a good songwriter who's written for many popular singers. She's also an amazing singer herself:

Do It Like a Dude is not the most amazing song, but I personally love it because it's so catchy and fun to sing and dance to.

ReputationRep:
    'Do it like a Dude' doesn't really show off her voice well. She really is an amazing singer, check out some of her youtube vids where she is just singing along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    'Do it like a Dude' doesn't really show off her voice well. She really is an amazing singer, check out some of her youtube vids where she is just singing along.
    Second this. Try the acoustic version of the same song.

ReputationRep:
    stop ****ing hating OP, you're nothing special either, who are you ? what have u done ?

ReputationRep:
    Just to add: Jessie J has a wonderful and strong, soulful voice, whereas Katy Perry has a rather average voice, and Kesha, well, why do you think she relies heavily on autotune? :p: Lady GaGa sings very well too, but has a very different type of voice to Jessie's.

If anything, I'd say Jessie J is a little tiny bit like a cool hybrid of Duffy/Adele/Nicki Minaj, and a somewhat much better alternative version of Cher Lloyd, but still quite unique in her own right :music:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    Hi everyone,

I keep hearing Jessie J being played on the radio and don't understand what the big hype about this girl is? :confused: heard her song do it like a dude and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. maybe I am missing something here, but her song is nothing special, is meaningless and pointless and she seems like a copy of lady gaga, ke$ha and katy perry. she is hardly unique or original in any way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOf3kYtwASo

Why is she being hailed as the 'one to watch out for' in 2011?

thanks x
    Do it like a dude is nothing to go by!

Listen to 'Price Tag' with B.o.B which is awesome and I think will be number 1 here and in America. Also, watch her performance of it on Jools Holland which is really good.

And I've got 2 unleaked tracks by her which are amazing too!

And the Labrinth remix of Do It Like A Dude is better than the original.

Trust me, she will be MASSIVE!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_ogn...eature=related

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Just to add: Jessie J has a wonderful and strong, soulful voice, whereas Katy Perry has a rather average voice, and Kesha, well, why do you think she relies heavily on autotune? :p: Lady GaGa sings very well too, but has a very different type of voice to Jessie's.

If anything, I'd say Jessie J is a little tiny bit like a cool hybrid of Duffy/Adele/Nicki Minaj, and a somewhat much better alternative version of Cher Lloyd, but still quite unique in her own right :music:
    She's a lot more contemporary/relevant that Duffy & Adele and a lot better. In the do it like a dude video, she does come across as a bit of a gaga/minaj wannabe but thats down to the director, not her.

ReputationRep:
    'Do it like a dude' was a good break for her though, even if it doesn't properly show off her talent. I wouldn't have heard any of her other stuff if I hadn't got that infernal song stuck in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKfzXq1gcG4

She has an awesome voice. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    She's a lot more contemporary/relevant that Duffy & Adele and a lot better. In the do it like a dude video, she does come across as a bit of a gaga/minaj wannabe but thats down to the director, not her.
    When I mentioned Nicki Minaj, I was more referring to the gangster-ish style of "Do it like a Dude", it just kinda reminds me of Nicki. I really like the video as well, and I personally wouldn't really say she was trying to be like Gaga or Nicki in it, because several female popstars have always done crazy styles like that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    When I mentioned Nicki Minaj, I was more referring to the gangster-ish style of "Do it like a Dude", it just kinda reminds me of Nicki. I really like the video as well, and I personally wouldn't really say she was trying to be like Gaga or Nicki in it, because several female popstars have always done crazy styles like that anyway.
    You seem to know a lot of good music, do my poll about who will be big in 2011! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1501506

ReputationRep:
    She is a great whore. That's a compliment btw.

ReputationRep:
    How depressing... she sells herself as an air-head sex object, who can't write music for ****... rubbish songwriter. You certainly can't judge her singing until you see her live, because anyone can sound good on a record nowadays. She's just another cycnical marketing scheme, like Gaga or any other "pop" artist. It really is sad to see our generation listening to this talentless stream of disposable music; whatever happened to timelesness... this will be forgotten by next year, and rightly so.

I was listening to Gil Scott-Heron's proto-rap poetry and this just ruined my day.
    Just using Gil as an example... He is a fantastic lyricist, insightful lyricisty (just listen to his political commentary on South Africa apartheid in the song Johannesburg). He WRITES music, composes, plays piano... that's talent.

People don't realise that these "pop" artists have an army of producers and sound engineers behind them. These people tell them what SELLS, and that's the fundamental problem... the concern is money, not MUSIC.

Edit: I'd like to add I'm not a musical snob... I listen to genres spanning jazz, blues, rock, electronic, classical and hip-hop. I'm not narrow minded enough to say one genre is better over another... I merely judge musicians on talent, creativity, originality etc. Unfortunately these "pop" artists lack these attributes, which I consider fundamental to making music.

ReputationRep:
    That is a painfully bad song.

ReputationRep:
    Her hair looks like Lego.

I would though. :sexface:

About the song; horrible.

ReputationRep:
    wannabe Nicki Minaj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    wannabe Nicki Minaj
    :lolwut: How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alissasantiago)
    :lolwut: How?
    everything about her,
    hair
    make up
    personality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legendstar)
    everything about her,
    hair
    make up
    personality
    Clearly you know nothing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.