The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 Exam Paper January 2011 14/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by aneesh
On an unrelated note
im doing 9 modules which are - c 1-4 s 1-3 and fp 1 and 3
my teachers say its A level mathematics and AS Further maths
can someone please tell me which modules count as mathematics and which ones as further maths ?

C1-4 are maths, FP1&3 are further maths. The others can go anywhere. The exam board (although check it yourself to be sure) should arrange them to get you the maximum grades.
Reply 461
Original post by snowflakesblues
Normal A level Maths needs 4 cores minimum. The remaining two can be ANY AS Modules. It's usually S1,M1,or D1.(the 1's are usually As Modules)
Further Maths consists of mainly A2 Modules. You'd need at least 2 cores in them. FP1,FP2 or FP3. You're allowed to shuffle with any other A2 Modules except C3 and C4. You are allowed to take some As Modules along with Further Maths, but it decreases your chances of getting an A* overall in FM. So in your case. Further Maths can come from. FP2-3 and S2, S3.

P.s You need 6 modules to make up an A level. So you might need a couple more As modules in there. It's worth just taking up 1 or 2 more As modules, as you get an extra A level as opposed to only an As...

This is not entirely true.
Maths needs 6 modules, C1-4 and two applied modules they can be AS or A2
AS Further needs FP1 and two other modules again either AS or A2 units are fine
Eg
Maths - C1234 S1 M1
F Maths FP1 D1 D2
The applied modules can be moved around to maximise your grade.
Reply 462
Original post by Spongy
Sorry to post this again but on question 5(a) would you still get marks for integrating the f(x) between the limits of 0.5 and 0 and showing that the area under the curve is equal to one (which is a condition of a p.d.f.)

Not sure but I doubt it. I think you are supposed to use the graph and show the equation of the line is 8-4x.
Not 100% sure though as there hasn't been a question like it before.
Reply 463
Original post by olly1973
Should one of the assumptions be that there are only 2 possible outcomes to be considered binomial distribution?

Yeah, you only need to put two though 1 for each mark.
Reply 464
For question 6c where it said fnd P(x>m) i did it as 1- P(X<or eqal m-1) and worked out that m-1=15 and got 16. I was wondering if i would lose all 3 marks?
Reply 465
Sigh...I wish I was more careful - all those silly mistakes are gonna cost me an entire grade. Curse you short attention span! :frown:
Reply 466
Original post by ngan_ta2001
Question 2 in the unofficial markscheme : there is not enough evidence to say that she is guessing.... if I said there is enough evidence to say that she is cheating and the teacher's claim is right, is it the same thing????

Notice in the soultions I wrote cheating and then crossed it out!!
Think you should be ok as it's pretty clear you understand that the alternatuve hypothesis can't be proven.
Original post by Gibbo81
Yeah, you only need to put two though 1 for each mark.

hey gibbo81!

I didnt add x=3 to the last question!!How any marks will i lose??Thanks:smile:
Reply 468
Original post by Geniusmiss
A* depends on C3, C4 and an application...the total of C3+C4+Application like M1, S2 etc.
should be 270 to get an A*

A* in Maths depends on 90+ average in C3 and C4 only.
You also need an 80 average in all 6 modules.
This means that you can actually get a B average in C1 C2 and two applied modules and then get an A* by getting 180 average in C3 and 4
Reply 469
For Question 1(a), did you have to relate the points about the Binomial Distribution to the question (fixed number of people that have the disease) or just state them (fixed number of trials etc.)?????????????
Reply 470
Original post by Manni12

Original post by Manni12
For Question 1(a), did you have to relate the points about the Binomial Distribution to the question (fixed number of people that have the disease) or just state them (fixed number of trials etc.)?????????????

Not sure but I reckon you would need to put it in context. Probably lose a mark.
Reply 471
Original post by goodboy4444

hey gibbo81!

I didnt add x=3 to the last question!!How any marks will i lose??Thanks:smile:

I would imagine you would gain the marks for stating the distribution X ~ B(3, 0.whatever) but then you've worked out the prob of 2 people only so you may lose the rest.
Can't be sure though.
Reply 472
Original post by Gibbo81

Original post by Gibbo81
Not sure but I reckon you would need to put it in context. Probably lose a mark.

oh bloody hell
Reply 473
I think it was a really good paper except Q2 which i (think) i got wrong!! I did:

H0 : p=0.2
H1 : p <.2

p(x<=4)

x~b(10,.2)
Looked up in the table....

got 0.96 something
0.96>0.05
so i accepted the h0.

How many marks will i get for this??Thanks

Your H1 is wrong its >0.2 as if she wasn't guessing she would 'almost deifintiely' have a higher percentage of getting correct answers.
Reply 474
Original post by Gibbo81
Not sure but I doubt it. I think you are supposed to use the graph and show the equation of the line is 8-4x.
Not 100% sure though as there hasn't been a question like it before.

Ermmm, well I hope I do get the marks because quite a few people I know did the integration to show the area was equal to one and I also know people who found the equation like you did. Both are correct methods.
A question like that has come up before but in that question you had to find the equation (you were not given it).
Seeing as the question is 4 marks; I believe 2 marks are for specifying the p.d.f. fully and the two marks for showing the p.d.f. is correct.
So in your method that would be 1 mark for gradient and 1 mark for equation.
In my method it would be 1 mark for integration and 1 mark for showing it is equal to one.
I hope that my method is credited for in the exam as it is also correct! (but as you say it might not be what they were looking for) :frown:
was expecting a much mre challenging s2 exam...but it was easier than expected!minimum theories!
hw were ur xams?!:smile:
Original post by dgb93
Your H1 is wrong its >0.2 as if she wasn't guessing she would 'almost deifintiely' have a higher percentage of getting correct answers.

no way....test is insignificant rite?hw much wud i lose for writin H1<0.2...bye bye 6 marks?!!!my chances of a 300 went dwn the drain!!!!!:confused:
Reply 477
Pretty pleased with how this went, should be a decent UMS. However I certainly think it was an 'easy' S2 paper so the UMS conversion could be a bit harsh on a couple of silly mistakes.
Reply 478
in that teacher question, i did it just as the unofficial mark scheme did, but when i wrote down the final probabilty for some reason i wrote 0.1207 and not 9. i also wrote in the conclusion 12.07%>5%. how much is this going to hurt my marks?
Reply 479
Hi, In question 2 I did H1: P<0.2 and I know its wrong.. but i did the whole question using <0.2 and in the end I said reject H1 and that teacher's claim is wrong.. would i get 1 mark for that? And also in the other hypothesis question i put H0:P=8 then H1:P<8.. would i get atleast a mark for that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending