The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 Exam Paper January 2011 14/01/11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anshul95
census and sampling frame perhaps.

u wudnt believe it....dose were the 2 i had just gone over b4 i read ur post
Original post by Geniusmiss
u wudnt believe it....dose were the 2 i had just gone over b4 i read ur post

this might sound stupid but dont take my word for it. Just revise all of the definitions. I remember in one paper they asked to give the definition of a hypothesis test
Original post by anshul95
this might sound stupid but dont take my word for it. Just revise all of the definitions. I remember in one paper they asked to give the definition of a hypothesis test

ya i learnt all...
cud someone please define a hypothesis test and test statistic simply? the textbook's garbled as usual
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 144
cud someone please define a hypothesis test and test statistic simply? the textbook's garbled as usual

Hypothesis test is to determined how valid is a givin claimed information is and then refine the mathamatical model, with no absolute certainty in all situation in statisic, there's only a degree of confidents.

Statisic: it's a random variable that's a fuction that involve no unknown quantities of a population.

hope it helps
i think we might have to find the upper quartile etc. of c.d.f. this time...
Reply 146
Keep up the revision guys! :biggrin:
Reply 147
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6684_01_que_20090121.pdf

The answer to question 3 b) exceeds the 5% significant level (I think the answer is 5.26% according to the mark scheme.)

Does this mean that the actual significance level has to be as close as possible to the significant level stated rather than be under it?
Reply 148
Original post by Student29
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6684_01_que_20090121.pdf

The answer to question 3 b) exceeds the 5% significant level (I think the answer is 5.26% according to the mark scheme.)

Does this mean that the actual significance level has to be as close as possible to the significant level stated rather than be under it?

yes, it need to be as close as possible.

but i saw a paper which it wrote "either tail should be under 5%"
which is kinda different as it's not asking the closest

For reference: June 2009 Q4a
"you should state the probablity of rejection in each tail which should be less than 0.05"

depends..if there are no consecutive values that are above and below then u go with a value that is closest...:redface:
Reply 150
depends..if there are no consecutive values that are above and below then u go with a value that is closest...:redface:

sorry but can you explain a bit more please? :\
I just thought what would be mean, asking to find critical regions after a normal approximation!
Original post by cpdavis
Discuss all your enquiries and queries leading up to the exam :biggrin: How are people preparing? Good luck :biggrin:

Nice to talk again :smile:
Pre exam thoughts? I am finding it pretty good so far, just hope nothing unusual comes up, like normal approximated critical regions or something!

A hypothesis test is a mathematical procedure to examine a value of a population parameter proposed by the null hypothesis H0 compared with an alternative hypothesis H1.

For a statistic, i usually say: A statistic is a random variable that is a function that contains no other values.
Need help with Question 3 on June 2010 paper urgently please!!
Original post by Red Devil k18
Need help with Question 3 on June 2010 paper urgently please!!

sure, i just got 75 on that paper!
you work out the distribution that the other side of the rectangle can be
then you work out the probabilities that either of these sides are over 6 cm
then add them together
tell me what answer you get and I'll tell you if you were correct, unless you have a mark scheme :smile:
Reply 156

Surely there will always be two consecutive numbers which have probabilities above and below the actual significance? Normally the question specifies whether you use the closest one, otherwise the critical value is the first one under the significance.

On a side note, anyone else think learning the definitions is actually the harder part?

yes but that is because the question says TO MAKE AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO 2.5% - this may mean above 5% in total for the two tails. If the question didn't specify then the question wants the first value below 2.5%
Original post by LukethePianoMan
sure, i just got 75 on that paper!
you work out the distribution that the other side of the rectangle can be
then you work out the probabilities that either of these sides are over 6 cm
then add them together
tell me what answer you get and I'll tell you if you were correct, unless you have a mark scheme :smile:

ive seen the mark schem but dont understand how it works. if you add both prob's isnt it 1/6 +1/6=1/3 but answer is 2/3
Reply 159
Guys for that JUNE 2010 question 3 all u have to do is integrate between the intervals of 6 to 10 with f(x) being 1/6 .
2(l+b)=20.
therefore l+b=10
so upper limit equals 10 and lower equals 6 . so now integrate and dere u go : ) i have my exam in less than 12 hours!! have 7 mre hours to sleep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending