my books contradicts please help ill rep youuu
    t-helper cell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimmiie)
    is it..
    the t cell that divides?

or the t-helper cell?

I'm not sure if this is right, it's been almost 2 years since I did this. But T cells can either be killer (Tk) or helper (Th). Clonal selection is where the appropriate Tk and Th lymphocytes are selected due to what antigens the infectious agent has. These selected lymphocytes then divide (clonal expansion), so yes the helpers divide themselves to increase in number before they can carry out their own function.

In short, to answer your question, it's kinda yes to both. Since a Th is a T cell lol.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sicarius1992)
    I'm not sure if this is right, it's been almost 2 years since I did this. But T cells can either be killer (Tk) or helper (Th). Clonal selection is where the appropriate Tk and Th lymphocytes are selected due to what antigens the infectious agent has. These selected lymphocytes then divide (clonal expansion), so yes the helpers divide themselves to increase in number before they can carry out their own function.

In short, to answer your question, it's kinda yes to both. Since a Th is a T cell lol.
    I dont know either, I quickly googled it :P

wiki says the t helpers divide, I believe it, just letting you guys know its not me being smart If you want the page ill link it to you if you want?

ReputationRep:
    the t cell that divides?

or the t-helper cell?

my books contradicts
    They aren't different things - T-helper cells are a type of T cell.

(Original post by Eloades11)
    t-helper cell
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    wiki says the t helpers divide,
    As do the other types - it would hardly be much use having just one cytotoxic T-cell in your entire body per infection.

ReputationRep:
    Both
    The t helper cells divide, which stimulates the T cells themselves to also divide

is it..
    the t cell that divides?

or the t-helper cell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    The t helper cells divide, which stimulates the T cells themselves to also divide
    :facepalm: What are 'T cells themselves'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    :facepalm: What are 'T cells themselves'?
    I was refering to the T cells the op was on about ( T K )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftylol)
    I was refering to the T cells the op was on about ( T K )
    It was this distinction that the OP was getting confused about in the first place - i think the less ambiguous terms are perhaps useful!

ReputationRep:
    lol this made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    i know, how sad

ReputationRep:
    this is the problem with some A level bio - especially with immunity - because it doesn't go into enough depth so it just gets confusing.

essentially in the lymph nodes, or elsewhere, an antigen presenting cell will be recognised by a cytotoxic (aka deadly to cells) t cells. the cytotoxic t cell will be activated by chemical messengers (cytokines) from a mature t helper cells (who themselves have divided after antigen exposure) to divide into active cytotoxic cells and also memory cells

hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    ???

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.