Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

i was doing a question which involved writing sin in terms of cos and long story short, i kept thinking that sinx is equal to cos(x-(pi/2)), where it is supposed to be cos ((pi?2)-x).

I was trying to see why and when i used the cos(a-b) i did get sin x, but when looking at it graphically (clearer for me), i just dont sinx from cos ((pi?2)-x).

i have tried to illustrate my problem in paint (see attached ) but as can be seen i keep getting -sinx as opposed to sin x

any help is much appreciated
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by type_writer)
    hey guys,

i was doing a question which involved writing sin in terms of cos and long story short, i kept thinking that sinx is equal to cos(x-(pi/2)), where it is supposed to be cos ((pi?2)-x).

I was trying to see why and when i used the cos(a-b) i did get sin x, but when looking at it graphically (clearer for me), i just dont sinx from cos ((pi?2)-x).

i have tried to illustrate my problem in paint (see attached ) but as can be seen i keep getting -sinx as opposed to sin x

any help is much appreciated
    Your error is due to your incorrect usage of the composition of functions.
    Write the separate functions down in terms of f(x) and g(x) and the mistake will become apparent.

An easy way to remember and see the connection between sin and cos is to draw a right angled triangle with sides a,b and c and angle of pi/2, x and (pi/2 - x) ... A little playing around and you will see the desired results.

(Original post by SimonM)
    They're the same thing. \cos (x) = \cos (-x)

***Edit
    \\simon is of course quite correct... Just to clarify, the first point I make is related to the error that you have made on the attachment with regards to the composition of functions.....

ReputationRep:
    They're the same thing. \cos (x) = \cos (-x)

ReputationRep:
    i knew that cosx = cos(-x) (is on the 3rd line of the attachment in the OP)

i just thought that, like other functions, if i add pi/2 to it, the graph would move pi/2 to the left and hence the confusion as what i have drawn is cos (pi/2 -x) but its is not the same as sin x. i still dont quite get what im doing wrong here...

ReputationRep:

i just thought that, like other functions, if i add pi/2 to it, the graph would move pi/2 to the left and hence the confusion as what i have drawn is cos (pi/2 -x) but its is not the same as sin x. i still dont quite get what im doing wrong here...
    as I mentioned, your problem lies in your application/understanding of composite functions.
    see earlier post..

ReputationRep:

i just thought that, like other functions, if i add pi/2 to it, the graph would move pi/2 to the left
    If you want to draw the graph first take out the mius sign from the inner function
    to see wich direction have you to move the graph.
    cos(pi/2-x)=cos[-(x-pi/2)]=cos(x-pi/2)
    and hence the confusion as what i have drawn is cos (pi/2 -x) but its is not the same as sin x. i still dont quite get what im doing wrong here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ztibor)
    If you want to draw the graph first take out the mius sign from the inner function
    to see wich direction have you to move the graph.
    cos(pi/2-x)=cos[-(x-pi/2)]=cos(x-pi/2)
    Exactly that

cos ( \frac {\pi}{2} - x ) = cos ( - ( x - \frac {\pi}{2}) ) = cos ( x - \frac {\pi}{2} )  = sin ( x )

Hopefully the latex code makes it clearer to see

ReputationRep:
    ahh right, i see it now!!!

thanks a lot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.