Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you think the Come Fly with Me racial impersonations were racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ed-racism.html

YahYah Daily-mail but I'm sure the story has broken in most other newspapers by now anyway, I'm probably a bit late on the news anyway

It is just part of British culture these days, a culture of complaining and constant dissatisfaction with everything, it's interesting how comedy is changing and or being looked at these days - first with all the Frankie Boyle controversy and now this.

I've watched more of Tramadol nights and it's just... weird, I didn't find it as offensive as it was disgusting and fcked up, it mind freaks you more than makes you laugh out loud, like the paraplegic stuntman thing which I found funny at parts but it just devolved into juvenile humour

Anyway I thought Come fly with me was really funny, I didn't complain at all and honestly didn't think people would... haven't they seen Matt and David doing black people and other races before in Little Britain? It's nothing new. (I'm black) and I didn't care, people need to get that when they see things like this, it's more of a highlighting and simulation of certain stereotypes as opposed to sheer ridicule and racism

It's what 'intelligent' comedians claim to do all the time when they have controversial race jokes, so w/e, on the other hand if they had minstrel make up, just ate watermelons and were just eating chicken the whole sketch (there's no intelligent satire or wit there) I would find that offensive as they wouldn't be making the joke clear, are they saying all black people do that or are they again trying to make fun of all of the stereotypes of black people? It's complex

Buuut in this case, storm in a teacup. Next *waits for next big racism row / muslim controversy story from the Daily mail

ReputationRep:
    "waits for next big racism row / muslim controversy story from the Daily mail "

seen the top gear one?

ReputationRep:
    "Well, Come Fly With Me, can be accused of being racist but it certainly cannot be accused of being funny."

BOOM. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    "Well, Come Fly With Me, can be accused of being racist but it certainly cannot be accused of being funny."

BOOM. :awesome:
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    We all love to travel in time on Christmas Day - back to the Morecambe and Wise Christmas special, the Yuletides of yesteryear, when we were wee nippers and we got a Scalextric, and all of that. Nostalgia is as much a part of the whole experience as anything. And BBC1 offered the chance to time travel with comedy twice on Christmas Day - with Ronnie Corbett and Lucas & Walliams. But while Corbett attempted modern jokes (the 'Blackberry' not working for example) in the same old format as his shows with the other Ron, Lucas and Walliams went the other way - straight back to the 70s.

Mm. Look, the r-word isn't coming out. I'm not going to use the r-word. That would be the word of lazy stereotype itself, the kind of thing you'd expect some idiot bleeding-heart liberal to trot out and act all offended. No. I'm not going to use that word. Because Come Fly With Me wasn't that. It wasn't hateful, or nasty, or vindictive, or deliberately unpleasant, or anything like that. Nor do I object to it through offence or shock, because I wasn't particularly offended or shocked - and even if I were, that doesn't mean that I should be disappointed by something. Not that either. And no, I don't want the bloody thing banned, before anyone accuses me of doing so. It's simply this: it was lazy. Feeble, lazy, hackneyed old clapped-out stereotypes that I thought we'd gone past about four decades ago with Spike Milligan's Pakistani Daleks or 'they all sound a bit funny'. Has it come to this? Is this really what we're sitting around the telly watching in 2010?

If you'd like to chip in with the contrarian "Aha, but this is post-ironic use of stereotypes, and who are you to say that people can't black up for comedy, doesn't that make you the real racist?" glibness here, feel free to do so. You might say it's a sign of a mature multicultural society that everyone can make jokes about everyone nowadays - straight people about gay people, white people about black people, and it's no longer the weapon of cultural hegemony, or marginalising minorities by cranking out stereotypes, or whatever. I can see that. And I can understand that, but I'm not really making the point that this sort of thing shouldn't happen because of political correctness having (a) happened in the first place or (b) apparently having gone mad; it's just that I find it such a complete and utter waste. All the talent, all the budget, all the effort that went into that programme, and all we get is a bad impression of Faith Brown doing an impression of Rustie Lee, and "Yingtingtingting" Japanese girls who then go all gruff, you know, like you're doing an impression of a kid in a playground or something.

So, let's leave aside any accusations of political correctness having been breached. Certainly, leave aside the red-flag r-word, because we don't need it. My objection to the Lucas/Walliams vehicle was that it was just so lazy, tired and cliched. A spoof of a programme from the mid-90s - even the source material was going back a bit, let alone the characters. The old lady who pretended to be confused was just like Lou out of Lou and Andy pretending to be disabled; this wasn't doing anything new, anything fresh, anything, well, particularly funny really. And that's the sadness. I like Lucas and Walliams and I think they're capable of a lot better than Come Fly With Me. It's not especially offensive, it's just really disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how the PC patrol instinctively pick up on possible racism, but what about the 'Our Lady Air'? Funny how they ignore that when it could be equally offensive. For what it's worth, I'm a Catholic and I'm not offended by that, similar to how many 'ethic' people are not offended by the 'racial' impersonations. If you do, have a word with yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDhol)
    "waits for next big racism row / muslim controversy story from the Daily mail "

seen the top gear one?
    Didn't see the actual episode but I know the whole burqa thing - how you can find that offensive, Jeremy Clarkson in a burqa is hilarious no matter what religion you are

ReputationRep:
    When I was watching it I wondered whether it would be accused of racism lol.
    But tbh the Japanese girls were just as racist as the others. So if racist complaints are being made, why ignore the Japanese girls?

But c'mon the program was hilarious, I was loling on xmas day.

ReputationRep:
    I think their whole show it probably about the shock factor. I mean if you look at the original little britain there is sterotyped gay people, working class and even bigger people. So I think it is all part of their show and the mail is just being too over the top calling it racist. I am sure the producers of the show have done research into it anyway

ReputationRep:
    Who are these people constantly complaining? Seriously, they must be the unemployed that the Daily Mail also hate if they have enough time to send all these emails and letters.

Regarding Come Fly With Me, I didn't think Taaj was Muslim, he was just a bearded guy from Bolton to me. And believe or not, not all passenger liason officers are going to be caucasian and British.

Just because you don't like something that is a little more edgier than My Family doesn't mean it is immediately racist. Stick to watching hilarious moments such as the wrong Christmas present being given to the wrong person and I'll stick to watching this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Funny how the PC patrol instinctively pick up on possible racism, but what about the 'Our Lady Air'? Funny how they ignore that when it could be equally offensive. For what it's worth, I'm a Catholic and I'm not offended by that, similar to how many 'ethic' people are not offended by the 'racial' impersonations. If you do, have a word with yourself.
    can i ask how "our lady air" was offensive to catholics/christians or whoever it may be.
    sorry for the ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krishna442)
    can i ask how "our lady air" was offensive to catholics/christians or whoever it may be.
    sorry for the ignorance.
    Our Lady Air - Our Lady = Virgin Mary. Naming a [fake] airline after such a thing could be deemed blasphemous, especially when on the show the flight attendants are particularly gay and feminine. I didn't say it was offensive, the point I made was that it wasn't offensive, just like the 'racist' bits weren't offensive to most black/ethnic people and it's the PC patrol out in force again.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like whenever someone on television makes fun of someone who happens to be 'ethnic', people are always ready to dish out the racist card. As far as I remember, I don't recall any racism in 'Come Fly with Me', but I did see them poking fun at some stereotypes (the chavvy driver, the Japanese girls etc.)

ReputationRep:
    No I think any stance against Political Correctness is a good one. I am sick of the R word and any ethnic minority who is offended by impersonations or stereotype are only offended because of their own inferiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    There is a sketch with two stereotypical americans, no complaints about that... oh wait, it's funny to make fun of white races, but play around with the stereotype of an Asian or and black person and all of a sudden you're racist!

People need to lighten up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how making impressions of people of different ethnic origin/nationality can be considered discrimination or unfair treatment.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't racist, it was just rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt racist.

ReputationRep:
    oh who really cares, the sooner people accept racism is a fact the better

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.