Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So about the strong force/interaction in the nucleus of an atom - what is it between? I'm making revision notes and my folder that I use to make notes in class says between nucleons, my revision guide says it is the attraction between quarks, therefore between all hadrons. I'm so confused.

ReputationRep:
    The strong interaction uses gluons to hold quarks together, and virtual pions to hold nucleons together.

The strong force acts on quarks through the medium of gluons, and its residuum acts on nucleons in the form of virtual pi mesons.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.