Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im doing 2 AS politics exams in January and am working on past papers. I'm having trouble with the 25 mark questions coz I just dont know how 2 get that many marks for one essay.
    Eg: What are the strengths and weaknesses of representative democracy? (25 marks)
    In the first two sections of the question i have already explained the key features of representative democracy and how it works in the UK.
    Also Im not sure whether I should be discussing the system in general or the way it is applied in the UK.
    Below is a summary of how i would answer the question
    Strengths:
    - professional politicians with superior knowledge and judgement, better equipped to make decisions of public importance.
    - minorities have a better chance of being taken into account than with direct democracy when they would be outvoted by the majority.
    Weaknesses:
    - Parliament doesn't proportionally represent the population-women under-represented and professionals with uni background over-represented.
    - System of public making views heard in Paliament is bureacratic and often ineffective
    - Low voting levels means governing party not really chosen by majority of ppl.

Do you think I would get 25 marks for an answer like that, obviously in greater depth but basically expending on those points?
    Any help in how 2 answer this question well would be much appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.