Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello readers...

Basically, I have offers from Imperial, Bristol and MORSE from Warwick but after having long long discussions with my family (and people who was/is studying in UK) we have got conclusion that tuition+living fees in London would be too expensive for me BUT I'm still taking Imperial into consideration as I have read that Imperial is better then Warwick.

At the moment, I have used only 4 choices on UCAS so I can still apply for G100 Warwick after New Year.

- So out of both universities which one you would prefer to go if you have offers from both and able to meet all conditions of both offers..??
    - Do you think one is far better then the other??

Please give me some advice regarding both universities

Thanks..

ps-Sorry for any confusion there in text

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose warwick. In terms of how good they are, they are both excellent, indeed make up part of the much touted COWI group.

ReputationRep:
    I live in london but i wanna go to Warwick.
    But then again Imperial is betterl.
    tbh both of them are really good so yaah yuu decide,

ReputationRep:
    I'll visit both to see where I'd enjoy more but obviously that's an issue for you as you're an international student.
    If I was in your position I'd probably go to Warwick. Arguably better Maths department, and I think I'd prefer a campus Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Warwick regularly to see friends over the last 3 years, while studying at Imperial myself.

I would pick Imperial simply because I like being in a big city. Warwick seems to get a bit boring after the first year. Living in halls puts you in a bit of bubble, but as soon as you start living in the real world it's a different kettle of fish.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial: the city ftw

ReputationRep:
    Imperial fees are around what? 25k per year for internationals? You could cover the tuition fees+living expenses with that at Warwick. Think of these things when making the decision as they are around the same for Math. What do you want to do after getting your degree?

Personally though I'd choose Imperial just cos it's in London.

ReputationRep:
    Both courses are pretty damn good (I'm talking about G100, haven't got a clue about MORSE) so it's really down to which one you prefer. A lot of the following you'll probably already know/is obvious, but thought I'd just put it out there. Sorry if any of it's inaccurate.

The Warwick course appears to be more flexible - you can choose an increasing proportion of the courses you take as you progress, whereas at Imperial most of the courses are compulsory (apart from the third year where it's all optional).

There's obviously a huge difference in terms of geography. Warwick is a massive campus in a rural area, so it's like a bubble in the first year, but at Imperial you get to see London and are not completely surrounded by the university.

Some fairly meaningless statistics about the student population, but if you want to make any assumptions: Imperial has fewer undergrads (not sure about the total number taking grad students into account) who are all studying sciences, a higher percentage of privately educated students and a lower percentage of international students.

The rent is a hell of a lot higher in London and living costs are higher, too. Half of the (first-year) accomodation at Warwick is catered whereas it's all self-catered at Imperial.

edit: realised I didn't answer the actual question - Imperial hands down for just being in London

ReputationRep:
    Warwick!

If you want to maintain a social life, get the ''university'' experience and save some big money then definately Warwick! WARWICK FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)

If you want to maintain a social life
    shut up

get the ''university'' experience
    shut up

save some big money
    shhh

ReputationRep:
    Internationally and domestically imperial is more recognised than warwick. In terms of the actual course there doesn't seem to be much difference in how they're percieved. There's more choice from the start at warwick in terms of module flexibility, but the imperial course is very well structured and after the 2nd year there's complete freedom. I chose imperial fyi and i like it a lot. London is *****in.

ReputationRep:
    just as a note:

I heard maths is the most competitive course at imperial.

24 applicants per place

probably similar story with Warwick, although maybe not as high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    just as a note:

24 applicants per place

That doesn't matter; she's already got offers from both and is trying to come to a decision on which one to select as her firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    That doesn't matter; she's already got offers from both and is trying to come to a decision on which one to select as her firm.
    Nahh I haven't applied Warwick G100 yet but will do immediately after New Year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    Nahh I haven't applied Warwick G100 yet but will do immediately after New Year.
    Oh, fair enough. Yeah, you will definitely get an offer from Warwick considering they make offers to almost everyone who applies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    just as a note:

24 applicants per place

It is the most competitive course (actually it fluctuates between Maths and Aero) but it's not 24 applicants per place, it's 6.5 - 7.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/workspace/...scard_2010.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bzzz)
    shut up

shut up

shhh

The truth too much to take?

ReputationRep:
    For me it'd be an easy choice, do you want to live in one of the best cities* in the world for 3 (4?) years, or do you want to live in some grim looking place in the edge of nowhere?

*I don't actually think that, I just don't know how to put it to get my point across

I'm applying next year and I'll forget Warwick simply because it's in the middle of nowhere, and to avoid STEP if I don't apply to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    Hello readers...

Basically, I have offers from Imperial, Bristol and MORSE from Warwick but after having long long discussions with my family (and people who was/is studying in UK) we have got conclusion that tuition+living fees in London would be too expensive for me BUT I'm still taking Imperial into consideration as I have read that Imperial is better then Warwick.

At the moment, I have used only 4 choices on UCAS so I can still apply for G100 Warwick after New Year.

- So out of both universities which one you would prefer to go if you have offers from both and able to meet all conditions of both offers..??
    - Do you think one is far better then the other??

Please give me some advice regarding both universities

Thanks..

ps-Sorry for any confusion there in text
    Factors to consider-location, cost, post degree (career plans). At the end of the day, they're both very good universities and they will both work you very hard. I'd recommend a personal visit to both places. Speak to graduates/students from both.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    For me it'd be an easy choice, do you want to live in one of the best cities* in the world for 3 (4?) years, or do you want to live in some grim looking place in the edge of nowhere?

*I don't actually think that, I just don't know how to put it to get my point across

I'm applying next year and I'll forget Warwick simply because it's in the middle of nowhere, and to avoid STEP if I don't apply to Cambridge.
    Warwick and Imperial are in two vastly different locations. They're almost polar opposites of one another, although I'm reliably informed some people actually like it at Warwick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.