Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, hope you all had a merry christmas

I joined this website just now for the purpose of asking for any kind of advice on my future. The sad fact is I'm confused, almost scared. It's mainly about my Maths C1 AS paper I await in less than two weeks.

First, a little backstory. My A-level courses are Maths, Physics, Economics and Modern History. I got straight As in GCSE, with 1 A* in History.

I chose Maths because my parents decided I MUST take either Maths or English if I'm to have a leg to stand on when it comes to applications for anything. I guess that's fair enough. I hated English, the Literature sent me half to sleep, didnt much like the Language either. I did well in Maths, got an A without really working too hard at GCSE (that's me, I'm lazy ok).

I chose Physics because I had an option left and I thought I should take a Science. It was down to that and Biology (I was only a few points off an A*), but I chose Physics as I thought it'd go well with Maths, and that I could use skills picked up in Maths to make Physics a little easier. It's going ok so far, although I failed an assessment midway through the first term and so I wont be taking the exam in January (moved to summer), so I have more time and I'm confident I can pull myself up to a pass, maybe a B.

I chose Economics because I was just interested in it. I found Business quite easy (except for the Marketing side, I got a B in the coursework as it involved a lot of that). I figured that Economics would be similar to Business, involving more theory. I'm currently top of the class, the only one predicted an A at AS, and comfortably getting As in assessments, and I actually look forward to the classes. No problem here.

History, I'm just very good at. I like it, find it to be by far the most interesting subject, reading history is just something I have done for fun for years. Going great at AS

It also just so happens that all 4 of my subjects are linked. Economics is useful for Modern History as Eco and politics are incorporated. Economics is also linked with Maths, which is linked with Physics...So it's all good, right?

Here's my problem. I hate Maths, it's the worst subject ever. My teacher is awful, she basically just shows you a powerpoint listing all the equations, tells you write them down, talks through them a little, then sets questions from the textbook. To be quite honest, I can pretty much do all the processes. It's just applying them to the questions that's the problem. For instance it says "solve (random equation", I'm stuck, but if someone told me "oh that's differentiation", I can do it fine. Maybe that'll just come with practice and repetition? I've done a few past papers already, but it's just not oming. The whole subject is just making me sick, I cried a few weeks ago. I'm a 16 years old, I dont cry, my cat got mangled in the road by a car a few years ago, I didnt shed a tear. I dread every lesson because I know how important it is to make it work, but I just cant. My parents cant afford to employ a private tutor by the way.

I plan to do either Economics or some form of History at University. I realise that Maths would be very important to take Economics further, which is what worries me. My "dream" if you could call it that, is to do History, but the career options available to me make it more unattractive. You could say my head says Economics, my heart says History. I'm quite confident I could excell at History, and if necessary go on to become a doctor or professor, I know I can. My only worry is finances, it's a big risk to take, we are not a well off family and the government cuts will hit us.

I have a dilemma people, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I might take my Maths problem for advice from the Maths section...I just need some advice on my career/higher education choices...

ReputationRep:
    do lots of past papers? How much do you revise?
    a number of my friends are doing maths and physics, and one maths and economics. they say physics and economics are far harder.

ReputationRep:
    Well Oxford offers History and Economics as a course problem solved!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear about how stressed out you are. :hugs:

I think it's all going pretty well for you except Maths. What I don't want you to do is think everything's falling apart just because of Maths.

From what you've told us it's pretty obvious you're quite good at maths, you just need to learn which equations to use for different types of questions. I don't see how you couldn't do that by going through your C1 text book and doing all the exercises in your own time. The explanations in the books are pretty simple..

Your maths teacher sounds a lot like ours, except he doesn't even go through the equations with us :rofl: he does an example or two on the board, gives us an exercise to do and off we go. He also has a French accent I usually just use my time in class looking at different expalanations and examples in the book, making sure I understand them all, then I do the exercises when I get home, and seeing as I'm predicted an A, I guess it's turned out not to be too bad of a technique.

Good luck with your exams and please don't freak out about your future to the point of crying you're doing fine!!! Just work on your Maths. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-B)
    . My teacher is awful, she basically just shows you a powerpoint listing all the equations, tells you write them down, talks through them a little, then sets questions from the textbook. To be quite honest, I can pretty much do all the processes. It's just applying them to the questions that's the problem. For instance it says "solve (random equation", I'm stuck, but if someone told me "oh that's differentiation", I can do it fine.
    That's down to bad teaching. Teachers who expect students to get through exams by seeing every possible question solved, without bothering to go to any length to explain what's going on, grind my gears. I post this website on here probably thrice weekly; it should help with your problem a lot.

For your degree problem... you can get loads of jobs with a history degree. Granted, there are no real direct jobs from a history degree aside from historian, but the degree gives great transferable skills and shows you're capable of work etc etc. You could get pretty much any job that doesn't require a specific degree - so, mostly everywhere outside of science - with one.
    For an economics degree: yes, you will certainly need maths. I suggest you stick with it either way; it will help for history admissions, too, as tutors like to see you are good in different areas too, and maths is a well respected subject.

ReputationRep:
    OK. I paniced in every maths exam I ever took and got about 50% until the SATS in Y9 and that was because I then taught myself everything. I now have an A in A-level Maths. WHat I'd do is get a revision text book guide and look at the revision notes on here and try and teach yourself. Past papers won't help if you don't get it in the first place.
    I would also try asking another teacher (a good teacher) if they would mind doing lunch time/ free sessions with you as you often don't understand the way your teacher explains it. The teachers at my school fully excepted this and really did put 1 to 1 work into helping struggling students even if they didn't teach them. I would show them a specific topic though and the work you have tried so you can show that you have put effort in. They are much nicer and more patient with you then i found.
    I also doubt, although I never took economics so can't say for certain, that the level of A-level maths is above what you need for economics, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem with teaching, maths is literally going to ruin my grades :L
    My teacher is jamaican and while thats not a problem, her accent is strong and her english isnt too good - she doesnt cover anything, just sits us down with sheets

ReputationRep:
    Try going through questions in the book again and again, then do some related exam questions. If you're still having trouble, go back to the book.

Can anybody in your class tutor you? Is there anybody whom you can just ask "hey, wanna do some maths revision together?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-B)
    Hello everyone, hope you all had a merry christmas

I joined this website just now for the purpose of asking for any kind of advice on my future. The sad fact is I'm confused, almost scared. It's mainly about my Maths C1 AS paper I await in less than two weeks.

First, a little backstory. My A-level courses are Maths, Physics, Economics and Modern History. I got straight As in GCSE, with 1 A* in History.

I chose Maths because my parents decided I MUST take either Maths or English if I'm to have a leg to stand on when it comes to applications for anything. I guess that's fair enough. I hated English, the Literature sent me half to sleep, didnt much like the Language either. I did well in Maths, got an A without really working too hard at GCSE (that's me, I'm lazy ok).

I chose Physics because I had an option left and I thought I should take a Science. It was down to that and Biology (I was only a few points off an A*), but I chose Physics as I thought it'd go well with Maths, and that I could use skills picked up in Maths to make Physics a little easier. It's going ok so far, although I failed an assessment midway through the first term and so I wont be taking the exam in January (moved to summer), so I have more time and I'm confident I can pull myself up to a pass, maybe a B.

I chose Economics because I was just interested in it. I found Business quite easy (except for the Marketing side, I got a B in the coursework as it involved a lot of that). I figured that Economics would be similar to Business, involving more theory. I'm currently top of the class, the only one predicted an A at AS, and comfortably getting As in assessments, and I actually look forward to the classes. No problem here.

History, I'm just very good at. I like it, find it to be by far the most interesting subject, reading history is just something I have done for fun for years. Going great at AS

It also just so happens that all 4 of my subjects are linked. Economics is useful for Modern History as Eco and politics are incorporated. Economics is also linked with Maths, which is linked with Physics...So it's all good, right?

Here's my problem. I hate Maths, it's the worst subject ever. My teacher is awful, she basically just shows you a powerpoint listing all the equations, tells you write them down, talks through them a little, then sets questions from the textbook. To be quite honest, I can pretty much do all the processes. It's just applying them to the questions that's the problem. For instance it says "solve (random equation", I'm stuck, but if someone told me "oh that's differentiation", I can do it fine. Maybe that'll just come with practice and repetition? I've done a few past papers already, but it's just not oming. The whole subject is just making me sick, I cried a few weeks ago. I'm a 16 years old, I dont cry, my cat got mangled in the road by a car a few years ago, I didnt shed a tear. I dread every lesson because I know how important it is to make it work, but I just cant. My parents cant afford to employ a private tutor by the way.

I plan to do either Economics or some form of History at University. I realise that Maths would be very important to take Economics further, which is what worries me. My "dream" if you could call it that, is to do History, but the career options available to me make it more unattractive. You could say my head says Economics, my heart says History. I'm quite confident I could excell at History, and if necessary go on to become a doctor or professor, I know I can. My only worry is finances, it's a big risk to take, we are not a well off family and the government cuts will hit us.

I have a dilemma people, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I might take my Maths problem for advice from the Maths section...I just need some advice on my career/higher education choices...
    imo maths is the easiest AS level to exist. I didn't like it at GCSE because it was very :hmmm: if you know what I mean. At A Level it's different.

if you don't want to take maths drop it and take three subjects. The fourth A level is never part of the offer

ReputationRep:
    hi alex..................wen i read about ur maths problem.................it waz lke my own problem iz reflected bck at me..............seriously!!!...i m doing Maths at AS dis year too........my teacher also jus shows powerpoint presentation and gives us da equations.....nd tells us 2 do lke 40-50 qns frm the txt............wen i try them out i jus go blank.........i cant get right answers at all..................im feel lke im goin 2 fail maths at AS.....and i too got an A in my IGCSEs..........im takin Maths, Economics, Business and Accounts for my AS...................i can only wish u bst of luck alex!!!!1coz i too am facin problems with my maths!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassandra sterling)
    hi alex..................wen i read about ur maths problem.................it waz lke my own problem iz reflected bck at me..............seriously!!!...i m doing Maths at AS dis year too........my teacher also jus shows powerpoint presentation and gives us da equations.....nd tells us 2 do lke 40-50 qns frm the txt............wen i try them out i jus go blank.........i cant get right answers at all..................im feel lke im goin 2 fail maths at AS.....and i too got an A in my IGCSEs..........im takin Maths, Economics, Business and Accounts for my AS...................i can only wish u bst of luck alex!!!!1coz i too am facin problems with my maths!!!!
    English translation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassandra sterling)

Facing problems with your English too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    Facing problems with your English too.
    it's slang.......if u know wat dat means

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.