Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I apologise if this is put in the wrong forum, I felt it best appropriate here.

I've never been much of a mathematician. I long hated the subject and neither did I take much interest in doing economics or anything of the sort at university. But one thing that I believe schools fail greatly on is teaching students about personal finance. Obviously I have only been to three schools in my educational career so far; primary school, secondary school and sixth form, and not once have I ever been taught about personal finance.

By personal finance I don't mean a rather lacklustre PSHE lesson of, "don't spend more than you have" but more going into what banks are actually on about. What does APR mean? What does interest mean? What on earth is an ISA? How do I transfer money? The questions I am sure are endless amongst many and sadly it's not until they are in the real world that they suddenly find the answers all be it slightly too late.

What do you guys think? Should secondary schools and even sixth forms teach students more about personal finance so they have a clearer picture on what to do when it comes to putting away money?

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking about this the other day actually, and I really think that students get taught about personal finance because its something that you'll definitley need to know in the real world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.