Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are all Russell group universities well thought of? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I understand there's going to be distinctions between Oxbridge and others. However what are everyone's thoughts on Russell groups uni's.

Is a universities status as a 'Russell group' important?

Thoughts please!

ReputationRep:
    Almost by definition they are "well thought of"

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's important - they're unis heavily involved with research, that's all - but yes, they do all have good reputations. As do lots of non-RG unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JEMSB12)
    Obviously I understand there's going to be distinctions between Oxbridge and others. However what are everyone's thoughts on Russell groups uni's.

Is a universities status as a 'Russell group' important?

Thoughts please!
    If you're going as an undergraduate, then it doesn't matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    Saying you go to a 'Russell Group' university isn't a badge of honour - a lot of students at those universities won't really be aware of the group. In general, they're reflective of the best universities in the countries but there are a few notable exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, yes. They are usually large universities with big research budgets and their fingers in a lot of pies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Libertarian)
    Saying you go to a 'Russell Group' university isn't a badge of honour - a lot of students at those universities won't really be aware of the group. In general, they're reflective of the best universities in the countries but there are a few notable exceptions.
    It is important to remember however that the 1994 Group also contains many of the UK's top universities as well.

ReputationRep:
    ...there are a few notable exceptions.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you'd be looked at in awed-respect just because you went to a Russell Group university, they just receive extra funding for research etc..

However, they are some of the best in the country and when considering what university you want to attend, the Russell Group universities are definitely worth consideration!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    Such as?
    York is the most glaring omission - Lancaster's also as good as a lot of the universities there.

ReputationRep:
    York is the most glaring omission - Lancaster's also as good as a lot of the universities there.
    Are you mixing up York unis? York has some of the best arts courses in the country (especially English).

edit. Sorry, I misunderstood you - I thought York was a RG uni for whatever reason :/

ReputationRep:
    Such as?

Durham isn't in the Russell Group. Also Loughborough, Bath, Exeter, St Andrews, etc.

I think it certainly has a minor effect that you went to a RG uni but as people have said there are exceptions.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
      Durham isn't in the Russell Group. Also Loughborough, Bath, Exeter, St Andrews, etc.
      Durham isn't either?! What is this nonsense?!

ReputationRep:
      Durham isn't either?! What is this nonsense?!
      So what? It's only about research anyway. A lot of respected universities are in the Russell Group but it's hardly a comprehensive list.

ReputationRep:
      For Undergraduate it's not really a huge deal, but for post-grad you're looking at more research budget n such.

I'd focus on league tables for undergraduate and where you feel most "at home." like I've heard so many people say, you'll "know" which university you go to when you go to open days.

ReputationRep:
      Lancaster is very good

ReputationRep:
      All the Universities in the Russell group are good, but there are universities that are good that aren't in it - Durham, Leicester, Bath, Lancaster etc to name a few.

ReputationRep:
      The 'Russell Group' is more relevant in the context of research and as a pressure group - if you're an undergraduate at Liverpool or Lancaster, it's largely irrelevant if you belong to a 'RG uni' or not.

ReputationRep:
      More so than Durham?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.