Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently in my first-year at University. But I'm having second thoughts now...so I decided to apply to the PWC HEADstart scheme. I filled in an online application for Assurance.

Then I got invited to fill-in the PwC's Student Talent Questionnaire online and passed that. Now I have to fill some other online forms out.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any more information about this scheme? Terms of salary and what to expect? Further if anyone is currently enrolled on the scheme, how they're finding it and room for promotion? Plus any other advice/comments are welcome!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    thread fail

ReputationRep:
    Salary will depend on where you are; but it will be the same as the graduates.

If you are thinking of leaving uni because of the exams/academia you might want to rethink; depending on the prof. qualification you might lend up sitting 15+ exams in 3yrs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riggers)
    Salary will depend on where you are; but it will be the same as the graduates.

If you are thinking of leaving uni because of the exams/academia you might want to rethink; depending on the prof. qualification you might lend up sitting 15+ exams in 3yrs.

Ahh I see...I have a telephone interview. I'm thinking this way I can combine work and education together without the debt.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone with more information...please post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Anyone with more information...please post
    I've also applied to the PwC headstart programme for assurance in manchester. Which city did you apply for?
    For manchester you get paid 14k for the four years you train. If I got the place then I would have to rent a place in manchester AND pay council tax, NI + income. The fact you would travel loads around manchester would add heavily to transport costs. I would pretty much end up with very little to spend on other things each year. Starting salary after four years is 25k in manchester. Goes up to around 32k after 5 years. What I don't like is that you could stay here for years and not be promoted to manager (pay is 40-60) which is what every1 will be aiming for! in which case you may want to leave PwC and look for what at another company which would be reasonable!
    O also, I know for a fact that this programme is tougher that universities. Very stressfull and a lot of exams. Many people drop out after only a couple of months. Plus is accounting what you really want to do? What are you studying at uni nw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W-A-K_92)
    I've also applied to the PwC headstart programme for assurance in manchester. Which city did you apply for?
    For manchester you get paid 14k for the four years you train. If I got the place then I would have to rent a place in manchester AND pay council tax, NI + income. The fact you would travel loads around manchester would add heavily to transport costs. I would pretty much end up with very little to spend on other things each year. Starting salary after four years is 25k in manchester. Goes up to around 32k after 5 years. What I don't like is that you could stay here for years and not be promoted to manager (pay is 40-60) which is what every1 will be aiming for! in which case you may want to leave PwC and look for what at another company which would be reasonable!
    O also, I know for a fact that this programme is tougher that universities. Very stressfull and a lot of exams. Many people drop out after only a couple of months. Plus is accounting what you really want to do? What are you studying at uni nw?
    Hey man,

I applyed for Manchester too...have you had your interview yet? How did it go, what did they ask?

I thought you start on £14k then after 1.5years it goes to graduate pay? I'm doing a Law degree and I hate it, I should of stuck to an Economics degree. Accounting I don't mind doing, I've done work experience in Accountancy. Also do you not get a company car as a benefit? So travel costs are down?

ReputationRep:
    Hey man,

I applyed for Manchester too...have you had your interview yet? How did it go, what did they ask?

I thought you start on £14k then after 1.5years it goes to graduate pay? I'm doing a Law degree and I hate it, I should of stuck to an Economics degree. Accounting I don't mind doing, I've done work experience in Accountancy. Also do you not get a company car as a benefit? So travel costs are down?
    Nah its 14k for the four years + company car is what you get IF you become a manager which is competitive - quite a few years down the line. + if u do apply for the programme I would'nt jst doss at uni because I've heard that they've received a very large no. of applicants this year and most have already been snatched up. :\
    O n no i havn't had the interview yet.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've applied for the HEADstart scheme also, in Assurance. I've submitted the essay around about a week ago. Has anyone had their telephone interview yet? If so a few tips on the questions would be useful

ReputationRep:
    Nah its 14k for the four years + company car is what you get IF you become a manager which is competitive - quite a few years down the line. + if u do apply for the programme I would'nt jst doss at uni because I've heard that they've received a very large no. of applicants this year and most have already been snatched up. :\
    O n no i havn't had the interview yet.

Ahh I see...I've got my interview soon, really need to smash it and impress them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam-alex)
    Hey

I've applied for the HEADstart scheme also, in Assurance. I've submitted the essay around about a week ago. Has anyone had their telephone interview yet? If so a few tips on the questions would be useful

Got mine soon, shall let you know how it goes, when is your interview and which office you applyed to?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Manchester, and I've not got an interview date yet. Good luck and let me know what happened

ReputationRep:
    Got mine soon, shall let you know how it goes, when is your interview and which office you applyed to?
    Is this the telephone interview or the assessment day? Plus, when is it? n finally...good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Is this the telephone interview or the assessment day? Plus, when is it? n finally...good luck!
    telephone interview.

ReputationRep:
    telephone interview.
    Coming from someone who hates their course too, i guess my advice is probably pretty useless but........

you considered switching to economics for 2012? and deferring with a gap year where you can just do whatever you want eg travel/work/sort yourself out. Reason i'm saying is because you switched from applying to economics to law and iirc, you resat a year right (or was it you had to work your ass off to meet the grades due to bad As)? Those two things, or one, kinda show you want to be at uni and maybe it's just the course that you don't enjoy.

Myself? doing economics atm and i hate it so much, on the verge of just giving up like you for law but you seem to have taken the extra step into making it a reality :p: however, i think a difference between me and you is you made a conscious decision to change from economics to law and to me, that shows that you care.

Whereas for me, i was pretty much, and still am, just completely submissive to the idea of going to uni despite my hate for it due to pressure from family so whether i switched from economics to xyz wouldn't have made me any happier.

So basically what i'm trying to say is:

it seems like you wanted to go to uni, maybe the course isn't right for you, so give it another shot

Don't know if that made any sense to you but **** it, if you're set on something you're set and what i say probably won't even matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Coming from someone who hates their course too, i guess my advice is probably pretty useless but........

you considered switching to economics for 2012? and deferring with a gap year where you can just do whatever you want eg travel/work/sort yourself out. Reason i'm saying is because you switched from applying to economics to law and iirc, you resat a year right (or was it you had to work your ass off to meet the grades due to bad As)? Those two things, or one, kinda show you want to be at uni and maybe it's just the course that you don't enjoy.

Myself? doing economics atm and i hate it so much, on the verge of just giving up like you for law but you seem to have taken the extra step into making it a reality :p: however, i think a difference between me and you is you made a conscious decision to change from economics to law and to me, that shows that you care.

Whereas for me, i was pretty much, and still am, just completely submissive to the idea of going to uni despite my hate for it due to pressure from family so whether i switched from economics to xyz wouldn't have made me any happier.

So basically what i'm trying to say is:

it seems like you wanted to go to uni, maybe the course isn't right for you, so give it another shot

Don't know if that made any sense to you but **** it, if you're set on something you're set and what i say probably won't even matter

Switching to Economics 2011 you mean? I cannot be doing with a gap-year when fees are increasing. How come you're pressured from your family? Which university are you at then? Yes it was me that had crap AS-grades and pulled it all up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.