Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Incompetent store - includes my email to customer relations Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi... well, I had a very bad shopping experience the other day. The facts are quite complicated but do you think I will have any success in sending the following email? The retailer in question is an American high street fashion retailer (so maybe being American they might give me some form of treat as 'compensation' for the poor service?)

Dear X Customer Service (UK)

Please pass on to the relevant customer services supervisor or someone senior who can process the facts of this awful shopping experience.

I would like to bring to your attention a rather disappointing and uncomfortable shopping experience I had at a X store in (town name), UK. Please observe the following facts as the sequence of events is important. I am bringing to your attention (1) the negligence of an employee and (2) poor staff attitude.

(1) Negligence of employee that caused me a loss

- On December 26th I attempted to make a purchase that came to the total of £102. I requested the employee to make a part card and part cash payment. The assistant did not do this and attempted to charge my card £102. The card in question that I used was a Mastercard Cashcard, not a debit or credit card, with a cash balance on it of £50.

- The card was declined because the assitant attempted to charge the card £102 rather than the £50 I requested her to do so.

-We did the transaction again, but I told her to leave a few items out. This time, she charged by card £27 and I paid the rest in cash.

-Unfortunately, the assistant, despite having been asked specifically by me to take 10% as I was using my student discount (which I presented to her and she agreed to take the 10% off) , did not do this.

- Instead, she rather recklessly swiped the card and thus £27 was taken off the card.

- She then remembered about the discount, and told me she would have to return the items to me and then do the transaction again

- The Mastercard cashcard system processes returns, but it takes a couple of days to process. The assistant returned the money, and then swiped the card again and - no surprises - the card declined, since it would take a few days for the money to return.

- So the assistant had originally sold the trousers costing £27 to me - and then returned them because of HER negligence in forgetting to dock the student discount.

- Because of HER negligence and recklessness in going 'swipe happy' with the card, I was unable to be resold the trousers.

- The assistant did not act in my interests - she swiped the card before I had the chance to tell her it would take a few days for Mastercard to process the transaction.

- Therfore her recklessness caused me a loss on December 26th. I travelled to your store in (town name) to my detriment - and was unable to make my purchase because of the serious incompetence of one of your employees.

(2) Poor staff attitude

- The employee in question was abrasive and rude. e.g. (i) On asking her whether the card had really declined she grabbed the register, turned the screen at me and pointed at the word 'declined' as if I am incapable of understanding that information for myself.

- I told the employee I was sorry that I was causing a queue to form to which she sighed heavily and seemed unable to contain her irritation.

In summary, the recklessness and incompetence of your employee caused me a loss on that day - I was unable to take home the trousers that I had specifically chosen on the X website, andleft without them. I also acted to my detriment in travelling to your store (wasted petrol etc.). The attitude in this store is generally very bad. I will NEVER be shopping at X in (town name) again. Whilst I am a long term and avid X fan, and love your products, I don't wish to go through such a poor shopping experience in this store; luckily there are alternative stores I can go to where everything runs a lot smoother.

I hope you can process the facts in this case and do something to alleviate the loss and aggravation I endured on the day.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't read smoothly at all. You should complain, but it's needs to be more coherent and well explained than that; to be honest, if I was whoever you're sending that to, I'd send back a standard 'Apologise for the inconvenience, have some vouchers' letter without actually reading more than the first two lines ... so you might get compensation, but nothing actually gets done.

If you explain your problem fully here, maybe people could offer advice on what to write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    That doesn't read smoothly at all. You should complain, but it's needs to be more coherent and well explained than that; to be honest, if I was whoever you're sending that to, I'd send back a standard 'Apologise for the inconvenience, have some vouchers' letter without actually reading more than the first two lines ... so you might get compensation, but nothing actually gets done.

If you explain your problem fully here, maybe people could offer advice on what to write?
    It's hard to simplify - the transactions are complicated.

Ok in simple form:

Me - I have a Mastercard Cashcard with a £50 balance
    - I enter X store intending to buy some trousers

Assistant - swiped the card, forgetting to take off the discount, despite me having produced my student card to her.

- Returns the item and puts money back on card in order to do the transaction again WITHthe discount

- swipes card so fast I don't have time to tell her that Mastercard will take 2 days to process the returned money

- Swipes the card again to make a sale - naturally, the card is declined

+++ a whole lot of attitude ( and this is a ****ing expensive store)

Me - leave with nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    It's hard to simplify - the transactions are complicated.

Ok in simple form:

Me - I have a Mastercard Cashcard with a £50 balance
    - I enter X store intending to buy some trousers

Assistant - swiped the card, forgetting to take off the discount, despite me having produced my student card to her.

- Returns the item and puts money back on card in order to do the transaction again WITHthe discount

- swipes card so fast I don't have time to tell her that Mastercard will take 2 days to process the returned money

- Swipes the card again to make a sale - naturally, the card is declined

+++ a whole lot of attitude ( and this is a ****ing expensive store)

Me - leave with nothing
    Plus the problem with her refusing to split it between cash and card?

ReputationRep:
    Plus the problem with her refusing to split it between cash and card?
    Well she didn't refuse that - I told her to do it.

That is the first fact actually...

So:

Me: Please charge my card £50 and I will pay the remaining amount in cash.

Assistant: Sure - but does the complete opposite and the card declines.

Me: Oh that's strange... Take out the shirt, I won't bother with it

Me: Ohh I know why it's declined... you charged my card £100

Assistant: Ohh.. ok let me do this transaction again (forgets to dock the discount)

And so on...

ReputationRep:
    Well she didn't refuse that - I told her to do it.

That is the first fact actually...

So:

Me: Please charge my card £50 and I will pay the remaining amount in cash.

Assistant: Sure - but does the complete opposite and the card declines.

Me: Oh that's strange... Take out the shirt, I won't bother with it

Me: Ohh I know why it's declined... you charged my card £100

Assistant: Ohh.. ok let me do this transaction again (forgets to dock the discount)

And so on...
    Ah right, so after having realised what the problem was, she then went to charging the card £27? Why not the full £50?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, so after having realised what the problem was, she then went to charging the card £27? Why not the full £50?
    Well because of the confusion of the card getting declined, and her making me think it was my fault (but it was her's because she charged OVER 50) I asked her to take some items out, so the final amount I requested her to charge that card was 27.

ReputationRep:
    Well because of the confusion of the card getting declined, and her making me think it was my fault (but it was her's because she charged OVER 50) I asked her to take some items out, so the final amount I requested her to charge that card was 27.
    Ok, got it all now. Give me a few minutes, I'll make another post with a few suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, got it all now. Give me a few minutes, I'll make another post with a few suggestions.
    Thank you - sorry, it's very confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Quite long tbh. I'd suggest keeping it coherent and concise.

ReputationRep:
    You're too polite, if what you have said is true then the member of staff is ****ing unprofessional to patronise a customer. It isn't your fault the member of staff hasn't been trained correctly or because they have a bad attitude. I would of asked for the name of the employee and filed a formal complaint.

You are the one buying the products, you selected valid payment methods plus the member of staff was charging the wrong amount... be firm with the company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    You're too polite, if what you have said is true then the member of staff is ****ing unprofessional to patronise a customer. It isn't your fault the member of staff hasn't been trained correctly or because they have a bad attitude. I would of asked for the name of the employee and filed a formal complaint.

You are the one buying the products, you selected valid payment methods plus the member of staff was charging the wrong amount... be firm with the company.
    I know the employee's name; I will include this information if they respond to my original email.
    I don't know who these stuck up children working in clothes shops think they are...

ReputationRep:
    oh god I'd be fuming! I'd also write the girls name down there, and send a copy of the letter to her manager at her specific store.

I agree it seems a bit long winded and a bit hard to follow but I got it all from the letter, maybe try and cut it down a bit and make it flow a bit better before sending? And as said, don't be quite so polite, but you don't want to be rude because that never gets you anywhere (just pisses off the person reading it).

ReputationRep:
    I know the employee's name; I will include this information if they respond to my original email.
    I don't know who these stuck up children working in clothes shops think they are...
    See above - put the name in! And the date and the time as well. and copy it to her manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    oh god I'd be fuming! I'd also write the girls name down there, and send a copy of the letter to her manager at her specific store.

I agree it seems a bit long winded and a bit hard to follow but I got it all from the letter, maybe try and cut it down a bit and make it flow a bit better before sending? And as said, don't be quite so polite, but you don't want to be rude because that never gets you anywhere (just pisses off the person reading it).
    I'm glad people on here understand. I will name and shame the shop in question -

it's GAP

I hope it doesn't look like I invented all the facts - the sequence of events is quite complicated to be invented - I hope they do something. See, I sent the letter t customer relations - should I send a copy to the store itself and name and shame the girl? I'm just a bit worried about doing that, because while I am still fuming, I don't think she deserves to lose her job over it. I am more concerned with my own loss.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't find your problem difficult to understand. I would send a letter rather than an e-mail though.

ReputationRep:
    X
    General tips: send it in letter form and don't include an e-mail address, because then they have to write back to you and you stand more chance of getting something from them. Never make it seem as if you're not going to return there anyway, but make it clear that you're unsure because then they're more likely to give you vouchers in order to persuade you. And always, always, always stress and exaggerate how unhappy you are with your experience, so something like this:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to bring an experience I had on 26th December 2010 in your (town name) shop to your attention.

I attempted to make a purchase of a total of £102; however, only having £50 on my Mastercard Cashcard, I requested that the assisant on the till (would be helpful if you could describe said employee, so the company can address problems with her - even something like "A short woman with bright blue hair" would do) split payment between card and cash. However, she did not do this and attempted to charge the full £102 to my card which, rather predictably, resulted in the transaction being denied and embarrassment for myself as I removed several of my items.

However, it was then realised by myself that the assistant had attempted to charge £102 to my card and, when I pointed this out, she then agreed to make a second attempt; in the confusion over the source of the problem, with her trying to blame me, several of my original items were left out, resulting in a second attempt of £27 being charged on my card.

At the beginning, I had presented my student discount card in order to get a 10% discount, and the assistant had acknowledged and agreed to include this. However, she failed to remember to do so and charged the full £27 on my card; when she realised this, she rather hurriedly proceeded to return the items in order to make a third attempt, with discount included. In this rush, she failed to listen to my instructions to not do that, because it would take several days for the money to be refunded to my card.

This left me with just £23, and when she tried again to charge my card the correct amount, the transaction was declined. I did not have the money to purchase my desired items; I left the shop humiliated at having to return my goods in front of other customers and employees, and empty-handed after having spent money to travel there.

This already extremely distressing and unpleasant experience was worsened by the assistant's attitude - she made a scene in front of other customers when my card was declined, which further embarrassed me; she was also visibly irritated with me as a queue was building up, which I feel is highly inappropriate seeing as her incompetence was the source of the problem. This is not the behaviour I have come to expect from people at (company).

After this experience, my attitude towards (company) has changed; I was previously a loyal customer and valued the quality of your products, but having suffered this indignity, I am left dubious about the standards at (company) and unsure over whether to return.

I would be most appreciative of you looking into this matter and addressing the problems that I encountered so that I and people I have discussed this experience with might have our confidence in (company) restored, and look forward to hearing your reply.

Yours faithfully,

(name.)

Seriously, I've used pretty much this format (it could perhaps do with being shorter, but at the same time you need to describe what happened) and got companies to actually give me money back for things that were my fault, so I know it does work.

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, I've seen you actually have a name - put that in instead of a description, so "... I requested that Jane Doe, who was working on the till, split payment..."

And I'd always start with sending it to the actual shop, then higher up in the company is nothing is done, or it is not resolved to your satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad people on here understand. I will name and shame the shop in question -

it's GAP

I hope it doesn't look like I invented all the facts - the sequence of events is quite complicated to be invented - I hope they do something. See, I sent the letter t customer relations - should I send a copy to the store itself and name and shame the girl? I'm just a bit worried about doing that, because while I am still fuming, I don't think she deserves to lose her job over it. I am more concerned with my own loss.
    Yes, send a letter to the store. She won't loose her job over that I wouldn't think but it backs up your case really & she'll get a lecture of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    Good, if the company don't respond then go directly to the store and ask to speak to the manager/supervisor. Make sure you ask for some form of compensation [vouchers or a discount] after you were left feeling embarrassed and shaken due to the overbearing behaviour of the employee .

ReputationRep:
    I think it needs shortening and clarifying - I found it hard to work out what had gone on and had to re-read a few lines. Also be more precise about dates, times and names- it makes it more consice and gives your argument more weight. Keep it polite- you want their sympathy and you want them to do something. Being rude does you no favours. Your letter is polite though though so it deosn't need altering, just wanted to throw that in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.