Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to have ago at explaining the damn thing, I know its interaction between different gene loci to mask/supress the expression of each other but whats all this about antagonistic and complimentary action?

ReputationRep:
    buuuuuuuuuuump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    Anyone want to have ago at explaining the damn thing, I know its interaction between different gene loci to mask/supress the expression of each other but whats all this about antagonistic and complimentary action?
    Epistasis is a type of gene interaction.In this interaction quite often more than one gene happens to share same metabolic pathway.In other words: A gene interaction in which a characteristic's expression is controlled by two or more genes.
    We end up with Hypostatic and epistatic genes:
    Epistatic gene is the one which suppresses other gene's phenotype while hypostatic is a gene which has it's phenotype suppressed by an epistatic gene.
    Epistatic reduces the no. of phenotype unlike your classic 9 : 3: 3 : 1 ratio.
    A dominant epistasis gives a ratio of: 12 : 3: 1 while a recessive epistasis 9 : 4: 3

Take mice coat colour as an example:
    Gene A basically codes for the distribution of melanin while gene C codes for the making of melanin.We know that black coat is recessive "aa" while agouti color is AA or Aa.A genotype CC or CC codes for the melanin while a recessice homozygote would result in no melanin being produced at all (albino) hence Gene A doesn't make any cameo appearance.So we get epistatic gene being:C and hypostatic:A
    Hope I made any sense

Some worthy defintions: Hypostatic: A gene which has it's phenotype inhibited by another gene.
    Epistatic: A gene which inhibits the expression of another gene.
    EDIT: By the way I assume you are sitting f215 this jan? if so check this thread out xD :
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1495727
    I feel lonely there

ReputationRep:
    So mind if i ask what is the difference between recessive and dominant epistasis?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.